The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
learner_dancer
Ashes to Ashes, dust to dust.
It's one long cycle, where only mass and energy are interconvertible.

I thought mass and energy were convertible, what was that entire E=MC^2 for if not to convert energy to mass and vice versa?
Reply 21
SpiritedAway
If you weren't created, you don't exist.

The irony of your username
Fusilero
I thought mass and energy were convertible, what was that entire E=MC^2 for if not to convert energy to mass and vice versa?

Isn't that what I just said?
Reply 23
From my point of view:

There is no such thing as a soul.

You're just a freaky conglomeration of atoms.

Enjoy it while it lasts.
Reply 24
does the soul exist? or are all our thoughts feelings and emotions just created by the brain in the form of chemical reactions and electrical impulses?
Reply 25
learner_dancer
Isn't that what I just said?
It is... bah, I read it as inconvertible.
Limbo
Reply 27
butthead7
does the soul exist? or are all our thoughts feelings and emotions just created by the brain in the form of chemical reactions and electrical impulses?

I think those chemical reactions and electrical impulses are the soul. Sort of. I mean I don't think there's anything supernatural about the soul, but that's the closest thing to it.
butthead7

The latter. A soul (and the associated spirtual whatnot) is the epitome of wishful thinking.
Reply 29
I always think of our consciousness coming into existence as like two candles lighting another candle ... it comes directly from your parents without them actually losing any of theirs.

When you die, your 'candle' is blown out. Simple I know, but it works for me.
Reply 30
Nobody here knows whether there's a soul or not. :\
Reply 31
i think we all have past lives and will have to come back again. I have been here 300 plus times. I really hope this is my last time in earth.
Before a seed grows, where is that plant?
Before an egg hatches, where is the chick?
Before a bacterium multiplies into two, where is the second bacterium
Before a cake's baked, where is the cake?
butthead7

Which leads to question: Does fate/destiny exist?

Initially it seems like a silly question. But technically if all our thoughts are a product of chemical reactions and everything we do is governed by a set of universal physical laws, on an atomical level, how do we decide anything? How can we change what reactions and interactions occur within ourselves? Who are we but a bunch of atoms to change anything? How can we alter 'destiny'?
Reply 34
_Bright Eyes
Which leads to question: Does fate/destiny exist?

Initially it seems like a silly question. But technically if all our thoughts are a product of chemical reactions and everything we do is governed by a set of universal physical laws, on an atomical level, how do we decide anything? How can we change what reactions and interactions occur within ourselves? Who are we but a bunch of atoms to change anything? How can we alter 'destiny'?

Yeah its an interesting thought. I once read somewhere that according to newtons laws if it were ever possible to know the position and velocity of every particle in the universe then it would then be possible to predict with utter precision the future of every particle and therefore the future of the universe. which suggests maybe that maybe the universe runs like clockwork down some utterly predictable path wound up and set in motion by the "creator" therefore leaving no place for human free will or chance.
butthead7
Yeah its an interesting thought. I once read somewhere that according to newtons laws if it were ever possible to know the position and velocity of every particle in the universe then it would then be possible to predict with utter precision the future of every particle and therefore the future of the universe. which suggests maybe that maybe the universe runs like clockwork down some utterly predictable path wound up and set in motion by the "creator" therefore leaving no place for human free will or chance.

What you read is technically right up to a certain point (Newton's laws stop applying in many circumstances), but it's impossible to actually know; the more you are certain of a particle's position, the less you can be sure of its speed and momentum, and vice-versa. It's called the Heisenburg Uncertainty Princple; to actually detect something about a particle, you have to shine a light onto it. This light (even an individual photon of it) gives the particle energy, which changes what you're trying to measure. It's impossible to know what is going on in a system, past a certain point, since things technically happen in every possible way at once. It's all rather complicated, and often makes no sense at all, but that's nature for you. It's impossible to predict the future with 100% accuracy, and it's impossible for there to be a 'deterministic' universe.
Reply 36
sophia.maria
I've read a book called "The Lovely Bones" and it's a lovely concept of the afterlife. The story lines a bit tough though!

If it's the same thing then Peter Jackson (Lord Of The Rings) is adapting it into a film, just incase you're interested. :smile:
Indubitably
What you read is technically right up to a certain point (Newton's laws stop applying in many circumstances), but it's impossible to actually know; the more you are certain of a particle's position, the less you can be sure of its speed and momentum, and vice-versa. It's called the Heisenburg Uncertainty Princple; to actually detect something about a particle, you have to shine a light onto it. This light (even an individual photon of it) gives the particle energy, which changes what you're trying to measure. It's impossible to know what is going on in a system, past a certain point, since things technically happen in every possible way at once. It's all rather complicated, and often makes no sense at all, but that's nature for you. It's impossible to predict the future with 100% accuracy, and it's impossible for there to be a 'deterministic' universe.

But if every single atom follows a law, where basically every other atom around it affects it, how is it possible for the universe not to be pre-determined?

Edit: I have other beliefs of what really happens by the way. I'm just playing devil's advocate.
_Bright Eyes
But if every single atom follows a law, where basically every other atom around it affects it, how is it possible for the universe not to be pre-determined?

It doesn't; particles aren't and/or can't be observed to follow a set law, as I said up there. Things at the quantum level can only be worked out by adding probabilities of an event occuring in every possible way together to get a final answer, because they happen in more than one way at once. Newton's laws and normal mechanics break down at such tiny scales; particles can be in more than one place at once, they can even split into different particles for a tiny amount of time. They can emit and absorb photons, anything. There are no firm 'laws' that explain why things happen like this, but it's still the most complete theory physics has to offer. The book QED by Richard Feynman has a far more in-depth explanation.

EDIT: What're these beliefs of yours, anyway?
Reply 39
Before you are born, half of you is swimming around in your daddy's balls. :biggrin:
hehe...

Latest

Trending

Trending