The Student Room Group

Where are we before we are born?

OK, I know physically we are genetic material in the from of our fathers sperm and mothers egg etc. but as a soul or a person where are we? Like years before we are ever born are we just not there? Its a strange thing to think about and has made me think alot recently.

For instance, does it not seem a bit weird that we seem to spontaneously appear out of nowhere as this thing that is able to think and feel emotions? This got me thinking, Is it the same process in reverse when we die (people who do not believe in the afterlife may believe this) Do we just dissappear forever on a spirtitual level as we did so easily enter the world? Scientificaly our bodies are broken down and decompose by bacteria, but as a person where do we go? I know its pretty heavy stuff to think about but just wanted to know what your opinions where and if you have anything to say on the matter.

Scroll to see replies

Ashes to Ashes, dust to dust.
It's one long cycle, where only mass and energy are interconvertible.
Reply 2
I MIGHT be wrong here, but as far as i'm aware, we're in our mummies' wombs.

Seriously, we can feel and have emotions before we're born. We just don't remember any of it. It's not as if life magically "begins" the moment we come out of the womb.
Reply 3
Until I know different, I'm assuming we simply did not exist before birth. Much like when we die we cease to exist.

edit- when I say before birth, I mean before being formed in the womb. Obviously we exist immediately prior to being born.
Yes. This is why a physicalist view of humanity - one that defines humans only as a combination of physical cells rather than something more like a soul - is best.
Yeah i know that obviously we are in our mothers womb before we are born and can fell emotions etc but im talking like tens or hundreds of years beofre that It all seems so farfetched that we seem to spontaneously appear from nowhere
Reply 6
I think, in the same place we are when we die.

The Celestial Lobby, if you will.
Biggillystyle
Yeah i know that obviously we are in our mothers womb before we are born and can fell emotions etc but im talking like tens or hundreds of years beofre that It all seems so farfetched that we seem to spontaneously appear from nowhere

If you weren't created, you don't exist.
We are just another creature on this planet. I do not believe there is a "soul". You might as well ask where is a fly before it hatches. We just come into being, live for a bit then die.
Reply 9
'You' aren't anywhere, since 'you' only exist as a collection of brain cells. 'you' come into existence as your brain develops, and 'you' stop existing once your brain dies. That's all there is to it. A concept of a soul is for people who can't bear to think that they're just mortal; It can be a bit tough to swallow, but that's all there is to it.
We are in our mothers ovaries. We are already half of our own person/personality/soul/whatever.
SpiritedAway
If you weren't created, you don't exist.

Perhaps OP was questioning evolution :unsure:

OP: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution

It goes back a bit further than hundreds of years though :p:
but we don't just appear, read a book about pregnancy if you want, it's not a fully grown baby suddenly appears. We reproduce, as do animals, it's not like babies just appear out of thin air.

Also if you notice babies don't have sentience, It is clear to be when I am around my cousins child(so my nephew?) who is about 18 months old that although he is aware of his envrionment he doesn't seem to think about himself the way we do. basically up until a certain age we have the intelligence of monkeys, then we gain enough sensory information and experience to seemingly jump to sentience. I'm going to read into that since it;s interesting.

Anyway back the question. We didn't exist before we were born and we wont after we die. Life experience makes you "you". Or if i remove your frontal lobe you as a "person" are removed, you have no emotions and are almost a blank slate of a creature. Since your frontal lobe, along with the rest of you, rots away at death, what makes you you dies as well.
Apparently I was a twinkle in my father's eye. Which probably means that even further back I was the twinkle of a twinkle in my grandfather's eye. And since evolution has taken its course it means I was once just the tiniest twinkle in the eye of a big, ape-like creature. My only question is this; what was I twinkling in before eyes were evolved?
Reply 14
Am I the only one who thinks this thread is a bit silly?
Indubitably
'You' aren't anywhere, since 'you' only exist as a collection of brain cells. 'you' come into existence as your brain develops, and 'you' stop existing once your brain dies. That's all there is to it. A concept of a soul is for people who can't bear to think that they're just mortal; It can be a bit tough to swallow, but that's all there is to it.

Pretty much what I was going to say
Reply 16
What kind of answer are you looking for?

From a spiritual point of view most religions will make provision for the existence of a soul. many faiths even believe in reincarnation, meaning you are born, die and born again and die again continually until you souls has learned all it has to.

Other religions teach that you will die and go nowhere until the resurrection, when all good people will live in paradise on earth and all the bad guys will be tossed into hell for eternity

And yet others teach that you go to the pearly gates straight after death, and either get in or turned away to join lucifer.

Personally I believe in an afterlife(and beforelife for that matter), but...... I dont think god is an old guy with a long beard, waiting to pass judgement on us. I think we're just a tiny piece of the bigger picture, that we have absolutely no comprehension of. I dont think religion is exclusive, if youre a good person, you'll find the company of good sentient beings, if youre a bad person you'll be attracted to your own kind.

If you want an answer, you will have to explore the options and find your own truth, but do not be afraid to ask.
Indubitably

This :yep:

I make no apology for not buying into "don't cause trouble in this life, because what's after, THAT's the ****". I'll take use the only chance i have, k thx :awesome:
Reply 18
Biggillystyle
OK, I know physically we are genetic material in the from of our fathers sperm and mothers egg etc. but as a soul or a person where are we? Like years before we are ever born are we just not there? Its a strange thing to think about and has made me think alot recently.

For instance, does it not seem a bit weird that we seem to spontaneously appear out of nowhere as this thing that is able to think and feel emotions? This got me thinking, Is it the same process in reverse when we die (people who do not believe in the afterlife may believe this) Do we just dissappear forever on a spirtitual level as we did so easily enter the world? Scientificaly our bodies are broken down and decompose by bacteria, but as a person where do we go? I know its pretty heavy stuff to think about but just wanted to know what your opinions where and if you have anything to say on the matter.

"All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves." - Bill.
I've read a book called "The Lovely Bones" and it's a lovely concept of the afterlife. The story lines a bit tough though!

Latest

Trending

Trending