The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hey just read in the Times that UCL had 2500 applicants for the 150 places pon the LLB course this year. Thats Crazy.

i know onearmedbandit would especially like that little fact lol

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,716-1627018,00.html
Wings_cp
Hey just read in the Times that UCL had 2500 applicants for the 150 places pon the LLB course this year. Thats Crazy.

i know onearmedbandit would especially like that little fact lol

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,716-1627018,00.html

lol :wink: Actually, those are pretty much the figures I was expecting. I love this bit :p:

The Times

University College London (UCL) is fourth in this year’s list, but tipped by insiders as the best law faculty in the country.

I'm probably wrong, but that sure makes it sound like it's the UCL law faculty proclaiming itself to be the best :rofl: Not that I'd argue with that :wink: It's just audacious.

By the way - Law Society recommending the scrappation of law degrees? :eek: Come on that's crazy! Plenty of people do law degree with no intention of ever going into the legal profession.
On a side note:
The Times

The subject is dominated by established institutions and Portsmouth is the only new university in the top 30.

Play up pompey :smile:
Reply 23
nah they're just bluffing. They wont be able to do that simply because it would make it so much more difficult to do the masters, and theres no awy Oxbridge, UoL woulod scrap their LLM's.

And yeh.. did love that second bit too :biggrin:
Reply 24
Onearmedbandit
I'm probably wrong, but that sure makes it sound like it's the UCL law faculty proclaiming itself to be the best :rofl: Not that I'd argue with that :wink: It's just audacious.

Lol. Actually, I would have thought 'insiders' meant various legal academics at VARIOUS institutions that The Times spoke to, because there doesn't seem to be any reference there to the fact that it was 'insiders at UCL'. :-)
Reply 25
lawgrad
Lol. Actually, I would have thought 'insiders' meant various legal academics at VARIOUS institutions that The Times spoke to, because there doesn't seem to be any reference there to the fact that it was 'insiders at UCL'. :-)

Didnt you go there Lawgrad? In fact you mite have played a hand at picking me and onearmedbandit lol
Reply 26
Wings_cp
Didnt you go there Lawgrad? In fact you mite have played a hand at picking me and onearmedbandit lol

Yup, I might have indeed. :smile: A very small part though...I am too junior to be able to influence the admissions process! I just helped read about 10% of the UCAS forms and discussed with the senior academics about them. It was arranged more to be a learning experience for me.
I think it might have helped me when my mum talked to Rodney Austin in October complaining about apparent discrimination to disabled candidates in that LNAT :p: (this is regarding the use of a laptop, which Pearsons suddenly told me 1 week before the exam I could not use.. so I got the date re-arranged.. it's a long story).

Rod: "Oh God it's the guy with the mum... just let him in I can't take any more of that!"
Reply 28
lawgrad
Yup, I might have indeed. :smile: A very small part though...I am too junior to be able to influence the admissions process! I just helped read about 10% of the UCAS forms and discussed with the senior academics about them. It was arranged more to be a learning experience for me.

That actually sounds interesting (Is that normal??? lol)

Anyway u got any tips for new students entering UCL for the LLB in Sept?
Reply 29
Onearmedbandit
I think it might have helped me when my mum talked to Rodney Austin in October complaining about apparent discrimination to disabled candidates in that LNAT :p: (this is regarding the use of a laptop, which Pearsons suddenly told me 1 week before the exam I could not use.. so I got the date re-arranged.. it's a long story).

Rod: "Oh God it's the guy with the mum... just let him in I can't take any more of that!"

Disabled? (sorry if I sound awfully wrong here, I am just a bit lost)
Reply 30
Wings_cp
That actually sounds interesting (Is that normal??? lol)

Anyway u got any tips for new students entering UCL for the LLB in Sept?

Well, I was a visiting tutor during this academic year. As I was an enthusiastic UCL graduate (i.e. 'in-bred'), they were keen to let me experience all aspects of an academic's life - sitting on staff meetings, discussing the exam papers, external moderation, marking papers, helping with undergraduate admissions, etc. But I honestly didn't do much - I couldn't make any important decisions (lol); I was more there to observe and learn and perhaps make some minor contributions (of what I think!).

As for tips, I have said it elsewhere - don't! You will have plenty of reading to do when you arrive (including your next two summers!), so do enjoy your last summer as a student with nothing to do! :smile:

Were you on a gap year this year?
Reply 31
yeh. Been travelling and working. Any chance you could some general tips then, like i (dont know) Always carry a spare pen, dont sit next to the smelly kid etc lol
Reply 32
Wings_cp
yeh. Been travelling and working. Any chance you could some general tips then, like i (dont know) Always carry a spare pen, dont sit next to the smelly kid etc lol

Do enjoy yourself during your first year, but DO study a bit to get decent grades. As the first year grades do not count towards your degree classification, most students tend to really just party and aim to pass. Suddenly, in their second year, they are shocked when City law firms ask for their first year grades when giving out those lovely summer placements. You do yourself no favours if you get a mix of 3rds and 2.2s (or worse, a fail in any paper) in your first year exams. Without a summer placement at a good City firm, it is quite hard to ultimately get a training contract at a good City firm. The same applies to mini-pupillages and the Bar.

Besides, the UCL course is designed in such a way that the first year subjects are quite strongly interlinked with the second year subjects. Thus, if your foundation is weak, you will struggle in your second year. If anything, the two most important subjects (and indeed, for the City as well) are Contract and Property (land law, equity and trusts). These are the fulcrums upon which the entire English civil law is based.

And last but not least, ALWAYS switch off your mobile phone! If you get a cool tutor like me, he would just laugh it off. But if your phone rings during a lecture by an octogenarian professor, he/she will slaughter you! :smile:
Reply 33
lawgrad
Do enjoy yourself during your first year, but DO study a bit to get decent grades. As the first year grades to not count towards your degree classification, most students tend to really just party and aim to pass. Suddenly, in their second year, they are shocked when City law firms ask for their first year grades when giving out those lovely summer placements. You do yourself no favours if you get a mix of 3rds and 2.2s (or worse, a fail in any paper) in your first year exams. Without a summer placement at good City firm, it is quite hard to ultimately get a training contract at a good City firm. The same applies to mini-pupillages and the Bar.

Besides, the UCL course is designed in such a way that the first year subjects are quite strongly interlinked with the second year subjects. Thus, if your foundation is weak, you will struggle in your second year. If anything, the two most important subjects (and indeed, for the City as well) are Contract and Property (land law, equity and trusts). These are the fulcrums upon which the entire English civil law is based.

And last but not least, ALWAYS switch off your mobile phone! If you get a cool tutor like me, he would just laugh it off. But if your phone rings during a lecture by an octogenarian professor, he/she will slaughter you! :smile:

thanx very much, I really appreciate all your advice! lol
Go to the LSE. Get a good grade. do the LPC at the BPP. Be unemployable, like me.
Reply 35
London Loves
Go to the LSE. Get a good grade. do the LPC at the BPP. Be unemployable, like me.

??? :frown:
London Loves

You could always follow a non-legal career. :smile:
Reply 37
Onearmedbandit
You could always follow a non-legal career. :smile:

Or have a hug?

*Holds open arms*
Dreama
Or have a hug?

*Holds open arms*

I know you're not offering to me but I'll have one anyway :smile:

*hug*

Latest