The Student Room Group

Duff Miller/ Independant Sixth Form Colleges

Hey,

I'm currently in a bit of a dilemma as I got a letter this morning offering a 30% scholarship at Duff Miller independent college in London.

However, I have to let them know by TOMORROW if I want to accept the place. The reason I'm a bit hesitant is because

1) I got a place at another (state so free) sixth form college
2) I have visited Duff Miller, but still don't know much about these kinds of "crammer" colleges
3) Its quite small and different to your regular school - also the teaching is focused very much on exams only and there's not much extra curricular.

On the other hand:

Duff Miller is closer to me than St. Dom's (the state sixth form college) plus its a tube journey so more reliable going / coming back. Getting to the state college takes anywhere between 1-1.5 hours, whereas for Duff Miller it is about 50 mins max.

Also its classes are smaller, and they do more preparation for exam technique/uni entry. This also means staying behind extra each week for extra exams, and as I have a scholarship apparently I am expected to keep up with the demands.

In conclusion I really don't know whether to accept my scholarship offfer or not!
Does anyone have experience of any tutorial colleges like this one?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated =] thanks if you've read all this.

xx
Reply 1
Hey,

I'm currently in a bit of a dilemma as I got a letter this morning offering a 30% scholarship at Duff Miller independent college in London.

However, I have to let them know by TOMORROW if I want to accept the place. The reason I'm a bit hesitant is because

1) I got a place at another (state so free) sixth form college
2) I have visited Duff Miller, but still don't know much about these kinds of "crammer" colleges
3) Its quite small and different to your regular school - also the teaching is focused very much on exams only and there's not much extra curricular.

On the other hand:

Duff Miller is closer to me than St. Dom's (the state sixth form college) plus its a tube journey so more reliable going / coming back. Getting to the state college takes anywhere between 1-1.5 hours, whereas for Duff Miller it is about 50 mins max.

Also its classes are smaller, and they do more preparation for exam technique/uni entry. This also means staying behind extra each week for extra exams, and as I have a scholarship apparently I am expected to keep up with the demands.

In conclusion I really don't know whether to accept my scholarship offfer or not!
Does anyone have experience of any tutorial colleges like this one?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated =] thanks if you've read all this.

xx

and it's been over a year and we trust you've made the right choice.
Reply 2
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Reply 4
I was a student at Duff Miller Sixth form college 10 years ago . It was Friendly , Reassuring , Knowledgable , Overall good .
I had to do some access courses before I got on to the BA Degree in Marketing and Retailing at Heriot Watt university Now I am a MBA student . I had to do work experience to get onto to this course too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending