The Student Room Group

Postgrad entry, 1st class degree but atrocious A-level grades?

Hi guys, I'd like to read some of your opinions on my situation before I contact individual unis, just so I have an idea of what to expect, and hopefully, not make a douchebag of myself when I do make enquiries, so here goes..

When I did my Alevels, I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life. My mum kicked me out when I'd just turned 17, so for my second year of Alevel, I was working full time to support myself and my primary concerns were earning a living and my studies took a back seat. As you may have guessed, my results were far from spectacular. I came out with DDE, with one science subject. When I applied to study chemistry I explained this at my inteview and they were willing to give me a chance (thankfully). I did a sandwich degree and came out with a first class.

I went straight on to PhD, and I'm just coming up to the end of my first year. Things are going well, and I'm hoping to finish within the allocated 3 years.

I have given studying medicine some very serious thought over the last couple of years and i have every intention of applying the year before my PhD finishes. Do you think they will still take my Alevels into account at this stage? Is it worth retaking them whilst I complete my PhD? Also - Will I still be required to take the BMAT or UKCAT?

Something I also best mention is that I got a Fixed Penalty Notice (a fine) from the police a while ago, which I know for certain will appear on an enhanced disclosure. It was for something I did when I was being particularly stupid and I obviously thoroughly regret. How far will this go in counting against me at the application stage?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
little_red_sox
Do you think they will still take my Alevels into account at this stage? Is it worth retaking them whilst I complete my PhD? Also - Will I still be required to take the BMAT or UKCAT?

Something I also best mention is that I got a Fixed Penalty Notice (a fine) from the police a while ago, which I know for certain will appear on an enhanced disclosure. It was for something I did when I was being particularly stupid and I obviously thoroughly regret. How far will this go in counting against me at the application stage?

If you look here then you can see that some unis require you to have done A level biology and/or chemistry but a large number don't:

Graduate Entry Medicine Courses

If you apply to a uni that uses the UKCAT or BMAT you will have to take the test.

the fixed penalty notice may pose a problem but i'm not sure.
I got DDe (biology, chemistry, physics as level) and a 2.2 biomedical science degree - i got 2 offers this year (admittedly i had to sit gamsat, you shouldnt need to do that as you have a better degree). like trektor has said - many unis dont care what your A levels are. they are usually pretty clear on the med school's websites, its just a case of trawling through and finding out. finish off your PhD and you should be fine when you apply, make sure you have good work experience.

i dont know about the fine, i would say that your best bet is to email all of the uni's you are considering and ask them directly. it will look better if you are open about it as soon as possible.

:smile:
Reply 3
This must cost a fortune!
Thank you for your replies guys. Much appreciated.

Yawner - You'd think it costs a fortune :P:, but thankfully my PhD is fully funded and I get a bursary, most of which goes into savings in preparation for Med school, should I get there eventually! I appreciate that things will be very tight financially but I have this living-on-a-shoestring thing down to an art now. A small sacrifice, I say :smile:
Reply 5
Yeah to echo what most of the posters have already said, if you pick your university choices carefully I would say your A-levels shouldn't be a problem. If they get brought up in an interview I think you're explanation here is a solid answer. I'm pretty sure you'll have to sit the UKCAT.

Best of luck. :smile:
dances_with_lamposts
I got DDe (biology, chemistry, physics as level) and a 2.2 biomedical science degree - i got 2 offers this year (admittedly i had to sit gamsat, you shouldnt need to do that as you have a better degree). like trektor has said - many unis dont care what your A levels are. they are usually pretty clear on the med school's websites, its just a case of trawling through and finding out. finish off your PhD and you should be fine when you apply, make sure you have good work experience.

i dont know about the fine, i would say that your best bet is to email all of the uni's you are considering and ask them directly. it will look better if you are open about it as soon as possible.

Where did you get offers?
dances_with_lamposts

Where are your offers from if you dont mind me asking.

If you mean a fixed penalty notice for speeding or something similar then I dont think it will effect you. Contact the unis directly
Reply 8
I got 3 offers with CCU at A-level and a 1st on my degree from one of the worst universities in the country (according to X, Y and Z's league tables). I think if you can prove you have moved on from whatever it was you did when you were 17 then I think you should be fine. I only got asked about my poor A-levels at one interview.
These kind of threads make me feel guilty whenever I consider scrapping medicine.
I just hope you make it. It seems like you tried very hard! Good luck !!
I do biology at bristol and will probably get a 2:1 so my question is where would I be most likely to get in I got bbcd in biology history maths and chemistry respectfully cheers.
Reply 12
I do biology at bristol and will probably get a 2:1 so my question is where would I be most likely to get in I got bbcd in biology history maths and chemistry respectfully cheers.

Start with www.ucas.co.uk and find out yourself like everyone else has to do. Consider it a night in well spent :p:
brokenangel
Where are your offers from if you dont mind me asking.

If you mean a fixed penalty notice for speeding or something similar then I dont think it will effect you. Contact the unis directly

Where did you get offers?

i got offers from st georges and nottingham gem courses :woo: , i was rejected from peninsula because i didnt meet their gamsat cutoff and i withdrew from swansea because i didnt really stand a chance with a 2.2 and a lowish gamsat score.

to be honest, i dont know how i would have fared if i had got a 2.1 or 1st - there would have been more of a choice of unis to apply to but that doesnt mean better odds. i probably would have picked the wrong unis. :rolleyes:

Reply 14
little_red_sox
Hi guys, I'd like to read some of your opinions on my situation before I contact individual unis, just so I have an idea of what to expect, and hopefully, not make a douchebag of myself when I do make enquiries, so here goes..

When I did my Alevels, I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life. My mum kicked me out when I'd just turned 17, so for my second year of Alevel, I was working full time to support myself and my primary concerns were earning a living and my studies took a back seat. As you may have guessed, my results were far from spectacular. I came out with DDE, with one science subject. When I applied to study chemistry I explained this at my inteview and they were willing to give me a chance (thankfully). I did a sandwich degree and came out with a first class.

I went straight on to PhD, and I'm just coming up to the end of my first year. Things are going well, and I'm hoping to finish within the allocated 3 years.

I have given studying medicine some very serious thought over the last couple of years and i have every intention of applying the year before my PhD finishes. Do you think they will still take my Alevels into account at this stage? Is it worth retaking them whilst I complete my PhD? Also - Will I still be required to take the BMAT or UKCAT?

Thanks in advance.

this could be my ignorance but why the PhD if you want to study medicine - is that not a bit of a waste of time?
Sambo2
this could be my ignorance but why the PhD if you want to study medicine - is that not a bit of a waste of time?

I want to eat a sandwich, but I also want to study medicine. Does that mean I can't do both? :frown:
Yawn-er
This must cost a fortune!

Funny I was thinking exactly the same.

Latest

Trending

Trending