The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Failed123
It's more than possible, maybe you should talk to 'other' people more who are of dual nationalities, before you talk about things you don't understand ... ?

You see, the crucial word there is 'entirely'. :smile:
Rambo424
I feel like I'm on an American forum with all the 1/3 this and 1/4 that talk.

Did we get the token 1/6th Irish yet?

Innit, bunch of Plastic Paddies them 'Irish' Americans...
necessarily benevolent
You see, the crucial word there is 'entirely'. :smile:

Yeah, and my response was it's 'more than possible' to be entirely loyal.
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
Oops...i was tired! i know Africa is not a country :biggrin:

Damn! Why are you forcing me to be blatantly nosey? I just wanted to know what African country your African parent is from. :o:
Reply 104
Failed123
Couldn't you convince the rest of your family to move to the South. I mean, you'd have the Queen and everything there :rolleyes:

It's not a question of moving, my family will be northern no matter where they live. :yes:

Not sure what you mean by the Queen comment to be honest. :confused: Though theoretically in the event of a North vs South war I can't see the Queen makeing much difference. For that to happen there would have to be a huge shift in the political landscape and so if you are thinking practically issues such as industrial and military capability would enter into it far more than the Queen. Who is really a constitutional safeguard against tyranny, which would be meaningless if the political process had broken down that far.
Reply 105
I'm half Swedish, half English. If either country was at war I would run away! If they were both at war I'd run away to Germany, 'cos at least I can speak German reasonably...

I don't like loud noises, you see. Even the vacuum cleaner terrifies me! I think war could get pretty loud...
EskimoJo
Damn! Why are you forcing me to be blatantly nosey? I just wanted to know what African country your African parent is from. :o:

oh lol, my dad is from Zambia. My African genes are much stronger than my Chinese genes lookswise :hmmmm:
Reply 107
I'm not half of anything. I'm just Scottish.
However if I was half and half, I'd run away :ninjagirl:
Hmm I don't know what I'd do... I'm Irish living in Edinburgh. To quote other people - what are the chances of a war between Ireland and Brit-.... oh wait.... :K: I think I'd go to live in France or maybe Norway (random, I have no idea really) and stay there til things calmed down. If Britain was at war with someone else, I still couldn't see myself moving back to Ireland. Maybe I'd still go to another country.
Okay, I think the whole partial nationality thing to be incredibly stupid. If you have dual citizenship then I guess you can say you're split between the two(or more) but when people think that they're 1/3 Spanish and 1/3 English and a 1/3 Italian because their parents were born there it's absolutely ridiculous. I have both an American passport(I was born there) and a British passport(I'm currently living here) and yet people think I'm only 1/3 American since my parents were born in Scotland and England(I'm not even going to debate why people think the other portion should be split between Scotland and England!) The reason I think it's incredibly dumb is that if I were to look back at my other relatives the ratio would be closer to 1/16 of each country. Since I don't retain any of the cultures of these countries, and the one that I prefer and am most closely related is the US, I consider myself 100% American, contrary to what almost everyone believes. Also, the question about what you would do if a war started is pretty idiotic. Obviously you would back the country with the best motives. Sorry if I sound really grumpy but I'm having a really bad day today.
Hmm I am like 38% Latvian, 50% Russian and 12% German and I live in England... but was born in Latvia. I think I would rather go with England, cause this is the place where I want to live. lol
LizB
It's not a question of moving, my family will be northern no matter where they live. :yes:

Not sure what you mean by the Queen comment to be honest. :confused: Though theoretically in the event of a North vs South war I can't see the Queen makeing much difference. For that to happen there would have to be a huge shift in the political landscape and so if you are thinking practically issues such as industrial and military capability would enter into it far more than the Queen. Who is really a constitutional safeguard against tyranny, which would be meaningless if the political process had broken down that far.

Okay, you took my post way too seriously :p: I'd move to the Southerners side, even though I'll always be a Northerner, it's just more convenient for me, because they'd win.

I don't want to be a loser.
Reply 112
necessarily benevolent
This is exactly why dual nationality shouldn't exist. First, because it puts certain people in a superior position to others, and, also, because it causes confusion in times of international conflict. How can someone with both an Afghani and British nationality be entirely loyal to one or the other? It should either be the case that you rescind your former nationality completely or that you keep it and stop calling yourself British.

umm... i dont agree,
these cases can easily be handled by other means,
there are people who are just as easily a citizen of one country as the other, how about a child of diffrent nationality parents, pick whose? dads? thats kinda sexist, higher income? parent that spends more time with him? whats if it canges. doday's thrends of globalizations rather encourage multiple nationalities. also there are many benefist to beeing the citizen such as beeing allowed to own land (yes im not allowed to own a house, work, study etc. without a visa. to own a house im not allowed at all). you can for example serve both nations as a diplomat in case there is a conflict between the two.

also who says you have to be entierly loyal. imagine you have two friends and they fight, how can you be entierly loyal to both (you can also take this as 2 childrean, what flip a coin and chose?, both grown up so you cant just spank them or wahtever). who says you have to even be loyal. the goverment its there to protect you not to send you off to die. and trust me you are serving your country enuff with taxes.
Enzo-259
Okay, I think the whole partial nationality thing to be incredibly stupid. If you have dual citizenship then I guess you can say you're split between the two(or more) but when people think that they're 1/3 Spanish and 1/3 English and a 1/3 Italian because their parents were born there it's absolutely ridiculous. I have both an American passport(I was born there) and a British passport(I'm currently living here) and yet people think I'm only 1/3 American since my parents were born in Scotland and England(I'm not even going to debate why people think the other portion should be split between Scotland and England!) The reason I think it's incredibly dumb is that if I were to look back at my other relatives the ratio would be closer to 1/16 of each country. Since I don't retain any of the cultures of these countries, and the one that I prefer and am most closely related is the US, I consider myself 100% American, contrary to what almost everyone believes. Also, the question about what you would do if a war started is pretty idiotic. Obviously you would back the country with the best motives. Sorry if I sound really grumpy but I'm having a really bad day today.

Sounding grumpy? No, this is the only intelligent post in the thread.
Reply 114
Failed123
Okay, you took my post way too seriously :p: I'd move to the Southerners side, even though I'll always be a Northerner, it's just more convenient for me, because they'd win.

I don't want to be a loser.

Haha I do tend to take things rather literally to be honest.:p: Also it depends where you draw the line because if we're talking Watford Gap then that's a huge part of the country the South would be against. I think it would be a close run thing.
jismith1989
How can you be a third something? One of your parents must have been born to an incestuous relationship, surely?

I explained on first page :p:

"I think im 1/3 , basically i was half russian, half spanish, but i also later took british nationalisation and became british citizen etc, so now i got 3 passports, 4 if you include the 2nd russian one."
Reply 116
i couldnt care less

i don't feel a connection to any country my ancestors are from

and we're talking 3 countries here
ozmas12
a war between them, what would you do. Im half spanish/english and live in britain. Im quite in touch with my spanish side, and can speak the language however ive always felt more english because of living here. But if they both went to war :eek: and i was in France at the time :eek: then i would probably...... stay there and chill and wait for the whole thing to brush over.

Saying that i figure france would probably be no mans land :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

:cool:

Thats the same as me. I would get out of england if england and spain were at war, due to the fact that I am also very intouch with the spanish side.
Reply 118
wholenewworld
Hmm.. yeah that might very well happen. And there are quite a few who feel rather strongly about past grievances, members of our generation, but still pining after the pre-Trianon great Hungary.
Oh dear... just .. move .. on.

Hmm, the whole concept of "Nagy Magyarország". It comes up far too often, as though Hungary is still what it once was.
ashy
Hmm, the whole concept of "Nagy Magyarország". It comes up far too often, as though Hungary is still what it once was.

Indeed. It's just wistful and wishful thinking though, and I wish Hungarians looked forward instead of backward.

Latest

Trending

Trending