The Student Room Group
I think a few percent less was what most people thought.
Reply 2
i think about 74%. would be surprised if it hit 70% or if it was more than 78%.
Reply 3
Wow that seems awfully high! Was it particularly hard this year or something?
Enzo-259
Wow that seems awfully high! Was it particularly hard this year or something?

Maths has, recently, had higher grade boundaries than is average (3 standard deviations above the mean for an A last year :p:). This would suggest that the papers are somewhat easier, on average, than exams in other subjects.
Reply 5
Must be nice not to have to ask 'what board?', 'modular?'...
Reply 6
What study guides would yous recommend for Higher Maths? I didn't want to go and make a new thread just to ask...
Reply 7
I think it will be 99 marks for an A2 and 112 (possibly 111) for an A1. That's out of 130.

xo-Heva
What study guides would yous recommend for Higher Maths? I didn't want to go and make a new thread just to ask...

In my school we used the Heinneman books, they were quite old but covered the whole course and some extra bits in case you needed to polish up some Maths skills.

I also bought the Leckie and Leckie Higher Maths Grade Booster book, waste of money as I never used it at all. Bought it to justify to myself that I'm doing enough revision and practice for the exam :p:.

The best way of learning is to do past papers though, trust me they help! A lot!

If you put enough time into Higher Maths, then there will come a certain moment when you get the hang of it and start to understand how to solve those nasty problem solving questions. For me, this was just before the prelims. And before 'that' (I'm sorry for being vague) I would've been really happy with a B. But I realized I could push for an A2 or perhaps A1.
Now it's just fingers crossed till the results!
xo-Heva
What study guides would yous recommend for Higher Maths?

My school used Higher Maths Through Practice and Example. I never used it, but I know others did and thought it had a good range of problems (i.e. it wouldn't just give you the bare minimum to pass).

Also, ask questions on TSR if you get really stuck or just need some help thinking through. There are a few decent mathematicians in the Scottish forum, and the Maths forum has some ridiculously clever people. :p:
xo-Heva

The Leckie&Leckie official study notes are a decent overview, and those "how to pass" books can be useful as well. We used the Heinemann textbooks and the examples in those were endlessly helpful. The other textbook that they tend to use (unfortunately I forget the name) isn't as good overall, but provides a few good notes where the other one doesn't.

Ahh, I miss Maths :frown: (I know, how sad :P:smile:
missimpossible
(unfortunately I forget the name)

Maths In Action?
TheUnbeliever
Maths In Action?

That's the one :smile: I could picture the front cover and could not for the life of me remember the name. Thanks :smile:
Reply 12
Lol, thanks guys. I'll go nosy about on ebay :ninjagirl:
Reply 13
xo-Heva

I would def recommend just past papers! Ask your teacher for a set going back as far as possible and just go over the questions and make sure you can do all the different types :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending