The Student Room Group

Student Finance wont pay my tutition fees because I want to start a new course!

Scroll to see replies

Chalice
i'm in exactly the same situation as zeanieboppa. i've just started my second year at university doing business management and have decided that i would rather study teaching at a different university next september, but i'm really confused about what funding i will get. when student finance say they wont fund the first year of the new course does that mean they wont give me the tuition fees and the maintenance loan, or just the tuition fees? I can probably manage to cover the £3000 tuition, but funding accommodation and everything else isn't really going to be possible. Help? :confused:

they wont fund you the tuition fees but theyll fund you the maintenance for the first year of the new course :yes: ive previously studied 2 years of Maths, but now starting A&F this Sep and was only eligible to get the maintenance loan :smile:
Reply 21
Lol i am in the same situation, i applied for my student finance and in august and all the way through i was told i would get the full amount of tuition, loan and grant. There were some hiccups along the way but eventually on 25th oct i received the letter that i had to sign and return, bare in ming that i am well into the uni course by now with accommodation fees etc. Only to be told on the 26th of oct that i would be getting nothing but a loan. this loan was £5000 and my accommodation was £3000 and tuition about the same. This leaves me £1000 short plus living costs.......Surley it cannot be legal to tell some one so late in the year and with such short notice that they are screwed. They have said i will be entitled to the full amount next year however i can no longer trust them because there so usless and dont know what they are doing.

Sorry to everyone else in the same situation as me it is awful and a huge strain on top of everything else at uni .... good luck guys x x x http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/images/icons/icon9.gif
Reply 22
Nothing illegal in it at all. It's an assessor's decision, not a call centre workers.
Reply 23
Hi guys,

I really need help, I am in similar situation!

Student finance England refused to pay for my tuition fees because of my previous studies!

I did 2 years at a University in America, and then decided to move to London and start a new course. I applied for my tuition fees and they were granted. After my first year I had to drop my studies and I took 2 year gap. This year I am going back to Uni to do a different course and I will start as a first year student. It is a 3 year course.

I am eligible to 4 years of funding. I already took one, therefore I should have another 3 years left, but student finance is saying I am eligible to only 2 because of my previous studies in USA. My studies in America were founded by my parents, so I don't understand how this makes any difference to my entitlement!

Please help!!!

Original post by Kikii88
Hi guys,

I really need help, I am in similar situation!

Student finance England refused to pay for my tuition fees because of my previous studies!

I did 2 years at a University in America, and then decided to move to London and start a new course. I applied for my tuition fees and they were granted. After my first year I had to drop my studies and I took 2 year gap. This year I am going back to Uni to do a different course and I will start as a first year student. It is a 3 year course.

I am eligible to 4 years of funding. I already took one, therefore I should have another 3 years left, but student finance is saying I am eligible to only 2 because of my previous studies in USA. My studies in America were founded by my parents, so I don't understand how this makes any difference to my entitlement!

Please help!!!

Hello,

I am in the same situation in the sense I 'had two years' though that is up for debate with student finance. It doesn't make sense in your situation if your parents funded your studies abroad it sounds to me like student finance are trying to rip you off which in my eyes is disgusting behaviour. My advice to you would be to seek the help from the Citizens Advice Bureau:

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

Hopefully they will be able to help you more in depth. Do you have any documentation to prove your parents paid? If so I would strongly advise you take it with you. I hope it works out for you; I know first hand how stressful it can be as I'm funding my first year myself this year :frown: I say don't be defeated. Good luck and let me know how you get on x
Reply 25
Original post by Patrick_g46
Update: I went back to my LEA and spoke with a different person and argued my point about the foundation being integral to my new degree and she agrred with me and said they will be happy to give me 3 years funding, which is all i need! Sometimes it just shows that all you have to do is talk to a different person! :rolleyes: I also told her to make sure she made a note on my file so as that i dont go back in 2 weeks and get a blank look and "sorry, computer says no!".

Thanks for all the help guys! :woo:

Gauranteed to back fire on you, uni will register you on a specific course code, IE the one without the foundation year, SF will then know and your fees etc wont get paid or will have to be paid back immediatley / docked from your second year fees. It will only work if the uni agree to register you on the course with foundation year and then bump you the year as you are implying is happening. Problem is , they wont. Foundation year for automotive eng is massively different to elec eng and as an independant year of study would be under a different course code altogether.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending