The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Are there not?

Have you checked http://www.brightredpublishing.co.uk/ ?

Otherwise I guess you could ask your teacher for some.

Edit: and in answer to your question, I have no idea why there are none. :s-smilie:
There are, and you can probably request them from the SQA. It's just not a popular enough subject for publication of a book by Leckie and Leckie. Only the most popular (proper :p:) subjects get that. Which If I recall is English, Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics.

That said, there's a new publisher this year so it might all change...
Probably because not enough people take it for the publishers to warrant making them. Disadvantages me as well unfortunatley, but you can get the 2007 and 2008 past papers on the SQA website here

Just out of interest how are you enjoying the course? I'm quite liking it, although it's a little bit daunting at first having group discussions in French, but quite enjoyable. We haven't done that much work though, we've watched all of Amélie, which was brilliant.
Reply 4
namedeprived
20007 and 20008

Am I really that tired that I have double vision? Or are you tired and making typos? :p:
xo-Heva
Am I really that tired that I have double vision? Or are you tired and making typos? :p:

shh! :p:

No idea how I managed that, must be pretty tired, or just not thinking straight.

Or maybe the SQA make their papers 18000 years in advance. :smile:
Our teachers gave us copies of all of them - as people have said, the subject isn't popular enough for books to sell well. Try asking?
Reply 7
namedeprived
Probably because not enough people take it for the publishers to warrant making them. Disadvantages me as well unfortunatley, but you can get the 2007 and 2008 past papers on the SQA website here

Just out of interest how are you enjoying the course? I'm quite liking it, although it's a little bit daunting at first having group discussions in French, but quite enjoyable. We haven't done that much work though, we've watched all of Amélie, which was brilliant.

Thanks. And I haven't even started the course yet because I'm doing it at another school and we aren't sent there until August (lots of people are going to the same place for Advanced Higher Accounting :eek:), but I'm the only person in my whole school doing AH French. :proud: So I'm a shoe-in for the academic achievement prize, hahahaha.

So I have no idea what the course entails :frown: but I'm watching French TV and reading French books to prepare.
ArcadiaHouse
Thanks. And I haven't even started the course yet because I'm doing it at another school and we aren't sent there until August (lots of people are going to the same place for Advanced Higher Accounting :eek:), but I'm the only person in my whole school doing AH French. :proud: So I'm a shoe-in for the academic achievement prize, hahahaha.

So I have no idea what the course entails :frown: but I'm watching French TV and reading French books to prepare.

Ah, interesting. Any French books you'd reccommend? (that are sufficiently comprehensible that I don't have to look up my dictionary for every 2nd word.) Because I'd really like to improve my vocabulary, which despite more oor less sailing through higher, is pretty poor.
namedeprived
Ah, interesting. Any French books you'd reccommend? (that are sufficiently comprehensible that I don't have to look up my dictionary for every 2nd word.) Because I'd really like to improve my vocabulary, which despite more oor less sailing through higher, is pretty poor.

Le Petit Prince is quite good and relatively simple (online version available here (free))

It depends as well on how well you know the english versions of some books, eg the only French books I've read for "fun" are Harry Potter 1 and "Fascination" (Twilight) - because I know the source so well, I could guess most of the words I didn't know!

Another way to improve your vocabulary is to watch a French film with French subtitles - you should be able to work out what's going on from either the sounds or the words onscreen, and I find that if you have English subtitles it is far too easy to cheat!
sparklysparkles
Le Petit Prince is quite good and relatively simple (online version available here (free))

It depends as well on how well you know the english versions of some books, eg the only French books I've read for "fun" are Harry Potter 1 and "Fascination" (Twilight) - because I know the source so well, I could guess most of the words I didn't know!

Another way to improve your vocabulary is to watch a French film with French subtitles - you should be able to work out what's going on from either the sounds or the words onscreen, and I find that if you have English subtitles it is far too easy to cheat!

Ah thanks for the advice. I'd heard that "le petit prince" was a good starting point, iddn't know there was an online version though, so thanks for that.

French films with french subtitles seems like a good idea, I doubt I could understand it without any subtitles, and like you insinuated with English subtitles you tend to not focus as clearly on the French being spoken.
Reply 11
Just ask your teacher for sample reading papers etc.

The only really hard part of the AH french exam this year, I found, was the listening and some of the translation. You shouldn't really have much trouble with the reading and you'll know most of your essay.

It might be different in other schools, but ee only studied 2 French novels at the beginning of the course and wrote a few essays on it and it was done. We only watched one French movie, which was one of the novels - but we did no work on the film, just watched it for the sake of it.

It was a good course, but good luck being on your own. :woo:
There is. Not books, but there's 2008 and 2007 on the website.

I used them, but from my result, not well enough obviously.
I think BrightRed Publishing are taking the reins of the SQA Past Paper books from next year, and on the website there's a placeholder for orders of 'Advanced Higher French Past Papers'. And there's a few other subjects as well, I think History and Geography are going to be published as well.

But, I'm not sure. I'm taking this next year and I'm sure either way there'll be plenty of material to revise for the final exam. What I am most worried about is the speaking (undoubtedly my weakest area) and of course the speaking, because its 20 MINUTES solid of speaking to an external examiner. Oh dear :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending