The Student Room Group

Changing course to Accounting and Finance (Year 2)

Hi all

Currently studying Accounting with Management but i am considering transfering to Accounting and Finance in Year 2 as I want a career in Accounting after graduation. I contacted my senior lecturer about this and he said that this course contains more "quantitive work".

Does anyone who study this course explain to me what it consists? is just basically the usual numerical work? e.g. stats, accounting statements?

thanks
Reply 1
kyzuna
Hi all

Currently studying Accounting with Management but i am considering transfering to Accounting and Finance in Year 2 as I want a career in Accounting after graduation. I contacted my senior lecturer about this and he said that this course contains more "quantitive work".

Does anyone who study this course explain to me what it consists? is just basically the usual numerical work? e.g. stats, accounting statements?

thanks

I cant help much but quantitve generally means more things maths related to my knowledge.
Reply 2
appreciate the help, thanks

also does anyone who studies or have studied give me some more details.
thx
Reply 3
You would get a better response in the Business & Management courses forum. :p:
Reply 4
Well I have just completed the first year of my Finance, Accounting and Management course at Nottingham and we had to take a Quantitative Methods module in each of the two semesters (this is what you're talking about I believe).

Our lecturer basically told us at the start it is the same as taking A lvl Maths but in 1 year instead of 2 and with an obvious Business and Accounting twist to it.

I've just trolled through nexus (information centre for Nottingham Business School students) and just copied the relevant parts of the module outline directly. This explains briefly what its all about.

If you require any further info feel free to send a pm etc.

Introduction

The pre-requisites for this module are QM1A or A-level Mathematics (or an equivalent
qualification). In this module we will cover some of the essential mathematical techniques
that underpin a lot of theory in economics, finance and management. There will be a
focus on differential calculus and its applications to microeconomics. We then introduce
some statistical methods and concepts commonly used in economics, finance and
management.

Intranet Page

Copies of this document and all other handouts are available from the QM1B convenor
page on Nexus. There is also a QM1B Forum on which you may post and answer
questions.

Class Contact

The module consists of 18 lectures, 2 per week, and a weekly workshop. The lectures will
provide you with the core material for the module whilst the workshops provide an
opportunity to work through problems in an informal atmosphere.
Lectures take place on Fridays 3-5 in B52, Business School South Building.
The workshops start in the week commencing Monday 9th February. Attendance at the
workshops is compulsory. The exercises you complete during each workshop comprise
the coursework element of this module (20%). You should sign up for one workshop slot
using the on-line tutorial booking system on Nexus. You should only attend the group for
which you are listed. However, in exceptional circumstances (e.g. illness), you may
attend any group subject to space being available. Full details are provided in the
Workshop Guidelines which will be distributed in the first round of workshops. Make sure
you bring your lecture notes as well as pen, paper and a calculator to the workshops.

Assessment

Assessment will be by one and a half-hour examination at the end of Semester 1 (80%) and
workshop exercise (20%). The examination will offer six questions. All questions must be
answered. You may find it helpful to look at old exam papers for this module.

Latest

Trending

Trending