The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

juss
I'm starting to think he just liked to scare me; he spent the year telling me stories of people who'd gotten something like 94% in the prelims, failed their finals, and were denied appeals.

I had more trouble with the one where you were integrating and finding the area between two sin waves, because a) my mind got stuck on the question of what units I was supposed to use for my final answer, b) I hate working in radians and don't actually know how to put my calculator in that mode, so I'm stuck expressing everything as 34.3pi/180 or some such, and c) I apparently decided that I could get my second point of intersection of the two waves by just adding 60 onto the first one. I have no idea why. So yeah, I came out thinking I deserved to fail for being so idiotic on that one question :biggrin:

Maths exams always do funny things to your heads.

I for instance failed to expand:

2(x+3)2(x+3) correctly as part of the gift of the question involving the straight line in Paper 1.
Reply 21
namedeprived

2(x+3)2(x+3) correctly as part of the gift of the question involving the straight line in Paper 1.

They certainly do :biggrin: I don't even want to know what silly little things I did wrong; so glad they give you marks if you understand what you're doing perfectly well, but dropped a negative sign earlier, or whatever.

Cheers on demonstrating the LaTeX code, BTW.
Reply 22
Can I ask the school to give me my exact marks because using the physics marking scheme on the sqa site I got about 94% I really wanna know lol :P
CJN
Can I ask the school to give me my exact marks because using the physics marking scheme on the sqa site I got about 94% I really wanna know lol :P

Yes, they don't have to tell you though.
Reply 24
I spent so long moaning after the maths exam, and managed to end up with an A, without them lowering the grade boundary! Chuffed...
Reply 25
acas13
I spent so long moaning after the maths exam, and managed to end up with an A, without them lowering the grade boundary! Chuffed...

Me too!:biggrin: I slept peacefully all summer thinking that they would lower the boundary and I would scrape an A. Then my friend text saying he'd got a b(he's quite clever) and I panicked.
I got my A(band one:smile:) and am delighted!
Reply 26
Emzzzz:)x
Me too!:biggrin: I slept peacefully all summer thinking that they would lower the boundary and I would scrape an A. Then my friend text saying he'd got a b(he's quite clever) and I panicked.
I got my A(band one:smile:) and am delighted!

Ahh pretty sure I got a band 2 but ach well, unis wont know that :rolleyes:
Reply 27
namedeprived

yeah if i remember rightly, i substituted the x and y co-ordinates into the straight line equation incorrectly, was kicking myself after the exam as those questions really are the basics. then forgot to turn over for the last question on paper 1 until 10 minutes to go whilst i was checking the multiple choice over for 20 minutes. also made a couple of daft mistakes on paper 2.

still got an A, thank god.
Dado Prso
yeah if i remember rightly, i substituted the x and y co-ordinates into the straight line equation incorrectly, was kicking myself after the exam as those questions really are the basics. then forgot to turn over for the last question on paper 1 until 10 minutes to go whilst i was checking the multiple choice over for 20 minutes. also made a couple of daft mistakes on paper 2.

still got an A, thank god.

Likewise. Got (a) and (b) done but not (c).

Had i not realised at all though I'd probably have got a B instead of an A.

By the way, just realised it was 12(x+3)\frac{1}{2}(x + 3) that I failed to expand properly, but it's still equally bad. :p:
Reply 29
namedeprived
Likewise. Got (a) and (b) done but not (c).

yeah i made a complete mess of it whereas if i knew it was their originally i think i might have got full marks on it. probably got 5/9 or something.

I think i've probably got a band 2 A despite getting 88% and 95% on my prelims. I guess it's a good sign that we can have bad days and still get As.
Reply 30
I remember last year there were statistics released showing how many people got what combination of grades, for example 2% got AAAAA (or was it top 2%?), something along those lines. Has that been released this year? That was interesting.
Reply 31
i just had a wee look at the grade boundaries document again. and it seems to have changed...the A boundary in higher maths was actually 71.5%, meaning that the grade boundary fell substantially. it definitely said on results day that the boundary was 78%, didn't it? or am i going insane???
wawa1906
i just had a wee look at the grade boundaries document again. and it seems to have changed...the A boundary in higher maths was actually 71.5%, meaning that the grade boundary fell substantially. it definitely said on results day that the boundary was 78%, didn't it? or am i going insane???

Yes it definitley said 101/130.

*goes away to check*

Looks like you're right, grade boundary for an A is 93/130 and an upper A is 106/130.

Which means I probably scraped an upper A actually. :smile:
Pelican
Has that been released this year? That was interesting.

Probably have to wait for appeals, I think. Those statistics are part of a report that's published a little later. They'll go up on the Statistics 2009 page under 'Annual Statistical Report Excel Tables'.
wawa1906

Just noticed that too, it's almost as if they forgot to update the Maths until now :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending