The Student Room Group

how to get a job doing post mortems?

Hi
I'm wanting to get a job in a mortuary so I can train to become an anatomical pathology technician (basically just helping out the pathologists carrying out post mortems).
The only thing is.. how do I go about doing it? I've written a speculative letter, and have emailed the hospitals around my area to ask for the mortuary managers name and address so I can mail it to them along with my CV. I've had loads of replies back telling me that all vacancies are on the NHS website which is no help at all. On my letter I've said what I want to do, and I've also said that I'm willing to do any job with or without pay (basically just work experience). I just need to get the right people to read it.
Are hospital mortuaries the only place that do post mortems? I don't know if I'm wrong, but I thought forensic pathologists work in different places?
I really really want to do this as a job, but I can't seem to find a way to get it :frown:
Any help would be very very appreciated.
Thanks
write to the mgrs askin for work exp first, then just keep looking on jobs.nhs.uk i'm sure one will come up but v rarely as they tend to go and people stay in the jobs for a long time
Reply 2
During my 9 months of job searching for trainee places within the NHS using their jobs website I never once saw an opportunity for an anatomical pathology technician. As the above poster said the best chance you've got really is to get in touch with local hospitals and discuss your options. I know that there a couple of colleges around the UK that offer the certificate to become an APT but i think they require you to be employed as a trainee first.
i'm sure the trust i used to work for called them medical technical assistant/officers and they sent sent you day release to do anat and phys as uni
Reply 4
thanks for the replies :smile:
there are about 3 on the career part of the nhs website, but they're all really far away from where i live, and only one is for a trainee (the other ones want people already with a certificate).
i've decided to send a letter out to all of my local hospitals and hopefully i'll get something, even if it is just for work experience. i'm hoping that my bit of previous experience and a degree will help me to get something, but i'm starting to doubt it :frown:
Reply 5
i know how you feel whenever i asked the hospitals for work experiance or even just to watch they always said they'd never let anyone in without the apt certificate which you cant even get unless you've worked in that department for over two years. Finally after 3 years of always checking the nhs website just in case, i decide to apply to the Teesside uni course "death investigation" and i start this year, i've chatted to many students who have done this and many of them just wanted to work in the mortuary and they've all succeeded. So i'm hoping i will to and that you get more luck out of the nhs website then i ever did.
-k-

Latest

Trending

Trending