The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
loafer
maxfire is jealous that he lives is Surbiton, not London.
yes, i mean central london, willy.

Surbiton is South London, douche.
Reply 181
maxfire
Surbiton is South London, douche.

lost humour is lost.
Reply 182
loafer
lost humour is lost.

Oh, okay...
S@KUR@
Of course it's a good salary, considering the national average. I can't believe so many people seem to be turning their noses up at this amount of money!

If you arent average why settle for an average salary?
If I was in a job I enjoyed then yes I would be. I'm not greedy after all
Reply 185
la fille danse
Do you not think that is a bit presumptuous, considering that most families in London live on much less?

Not at all. I like to live comfortably, and would like to provide my kids nice things. Life is not easy nor much fun with little money, especially in London.
crema
Not at all. I like to live comfortably, and would like to provide my kids nice things. Life is not easy nor much fun with little money, especially in London.

That statement bears little relation to your original statement, which was that 40k is 'not enough' for a family in London to live on.

Most families in London live on less than that.

Are they not really living?
Reply 187
I'd be happy with 15k at the moment as I'm jobless. Personally, 25k would work very well for me, but I wouldn't say no to the extra cash to help get a house and stuffs.
whitepearlbaby
In my current situation I'd probably be happy with that. But I'd like to be able to afford a cleaner once a week when I have children and some other "unnecessary things", so I'd be happier with something around 80-90k. Tbh that's all dreams though. I might never earn more than 25k, who knows?!

You'd be able to get a cleaner on £40k

I'd love to have £40k and be single, £40k for me and a partner would still be great.

I mean my mum earns like £32k before tax. Right now it's me, my mum and a friend living here(she pays £100 a week to cover food, bills, etc, we're not sure how much bills have gone up but it was an agreed thing with her family).

We have sky+ tv downstairs, virgin media in my room with one of those landline and fast 20mb broadband packages. We used to have a cleaner once a week too, but now we're home more she's decided to stop doing that since I and my friend can do that and not have it cost what ever it was. We usually go abroad once a year, we aren't this summer but it's more there's no real time to do it, so instead we're having odd days out like going to london to visit museums and such. Yeah there's some home improvements we'd like done but we can;t really afford them at the moment but we live pretty darn comfortably in my opinion, I;d be happy to be able to have the kind of life style I have now and I'm older, so £30k would be fine for me by myself.

I have no idea what kind of salary I'm going to end up with, since I haven't decided exactly what career I want, the options will be quite varied. Either a researcher, preferrably involved in arachnids, maybe with trips to exotic areas to study them or at an airport. Yeah it sounds odd but basically you get quite a few exotic animals illegally shipped over and the bigger airports have special rooms to keep and care for these animals until rescue centres can deal with them. Working in a place like that would be a dream job, yeah some say I'm not aiming high enough but it's a job that would make me happy. I'd imagine after a few years with a job like that I'd be on £25-30, probably get more as a researcher after enough years then the other job, unless my role becomes managerial.
I'm expecting to make a whole lot more. 40K would most definitely not satisfy the lifestyle i am accustomed to. hell, my dad spends 80k a year just for school for me and my 3 siblings. I'm hoping to be more successful than my dad, at least
Reply 190
If we are talking wage over the span of my career then no. Nothing to do with "the lifestyle im used to", I grew up in a single parent family and my mum was on less than £20k. I went to a state school.
But, I earn (roughly) that amount now, and I would be severly disappointed if this is the peak of my income as I would still like to be better off than I am now in terms of disposable income.
I am hoping to get maybe £60k/pa - possibly more, on the agreement with my hubby that if we ever have kids he is the one to stay home and look after them.
Waheyyyy
If I hadn't just used my rep up, I'd neg you.

Why? Jealous or what?
yes i think its a good salary but then my salary at the moment is £22000 so it does look really appealing
Woah what, £40,000 a year sounds immense to me. When I graduate I'm starting on <£20,000 and even that sounds good.
Of COURSE it's a good salary. It's way above the national average, why are people acting like it's a low salary? The majority of us are going to earn less than that.
As a fully qualified accountant no, that's pretty bad.
Original post by &#1610
Of COURSE it's a good salary. It's way above the national average, why are people acting like it's a low salary? The majority of us are going to earn less than that.

No, surely most people on here will be university educated and end up earning more than that eventually.
joey11223
You'd be able to get a cleaner on £40k

I'd love to have £40k and be single, £40k for me and a partner would still be great.

I mean my mum earns like £32k before tax. Right now it's me, my mum and a friend living here(she pays £100 a week to cover food, bills, etc, we're not sure how much bills have gone up but it was an agreed thing with her family).

We have sky+ tv downstairs, virgin media in my room with one of those landline and fast 20mb broadband packages. We used to have a cleaner once a week too, but now we're home more she's decided to stop doing that since I and my friend can do that and not have it cost what ever it was. We usually go abroad once a year, we aren't this summer but it's more there's no real time to do it, so instead we're having odd days out like going to london to visit museums and such. Yeah there's some home improvements we'd like done but we can;t really afford them at the moment but we live pretty darn comfortably in my opinion, I;d be happy to be able to have the kind of life style I have now and I'm older, so £30k would be fine for me by myself.

I have no idea what kind of salary I'm going to end up with, since I haven't decided exactly what career I want, the options will be quite varied. Either a researcher, preferrably involved in arachnids, maybe with trips to exotic areas to study them or at an airport. Yeah it sounds odd but basically you get quite a few exotic animals illegally shipped over and the bigger airports have special rooms to keep and care for these animals until rescue centres can deal with them. Working in a place like that would be a dream job, yeah some say I'm not aiming high enough but it's a job that would make me happy. I'd imagine after a few years with a job like that I'd be on £25-30, probably get more as a researcher after enough years then the other job, unless my role becomes managerial.

Lol, my dad earns about 50k and I always get the impression that we are really poor! But this is to support 6 people I suppose..
Reply 198
id be happy with 40k thats way above average and i dont think it would leave me in much financial difficulty
Savahl
If we are talking wage over the span of my career then no. Nothing to do with "the lifestyle im used to", I grew up in a single parent family and my mum was on less than £20k. I went to a state school.
But, I earn (roughly) that amount now, and I would be severly disappointed if this is the peak of my income as I would still like to be better off than I am now in terms of disposable income.
I am hoping to get maybe £60k/pa - possibly more, on the agreement with my hubby that if we ever have kids he is the one to stay home and look after them.

He will try everything in his power to not impregnate you in that case.

Latest

Trending

Trending