The Student Room Group

I asked for a low salary at an interview

Hi all,

So I applied for a job and asked for around 40k-45k at the screening interview. I have been invited to a face2face interview next week. But after lots more research found out the medium salary is 50k and can hit 55k sometimes.

Would me saying 40-45k mean if I get the role they would offer me less?

They also asked if I have applied elsewhere and what would make me choose their company over another, which I said career development/training and overall compensation package
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Fineappleonpiza
Hi all,

So I applied for a job and asked for around 40k-45k at the screening interview. I have been invited to a face2face interview next week. But after lots more research found out the medium salary is 50k and can hit 55k sometimes.

Would me saying 40-45k mean if I get the role they would offer me less?

They also asked if I have applied elsewhere and what would make me choose their company over another, which I said career development/training and overall compensation package

You need to learn what you do and don't discuss at interview! Never disclose numbers, at least not first. You only have a value if you are being made an offer, before there is a specific offer being made to you, money is irrelevant, so just say something like 'I'd expect to be paid a competitive rate'.

Other applications are irrelevant, so again, give a bland answer like 'no competitors' and focus on strengths you think they offer.

The fact you gave a low salary figure before just shows you are new/naive. It won't make any difference if you get an offer.
Original post by threeportdrift
You need to learn what you do and don't discuss at interview! Never disclose numbers, at least not first. You only have a value if you are being made an offer, before there is a specific offer being made to you, money is irrelevant, so just say something like 'I'd expect to be paid a competitive rate'.

Other applications are irrelevant, so again, give a bland answer like 'no competitors' and focus on strengths you think they offer.

The fact you gave a low salary figure before just shows you are new/naive. It won't make any difference if you get an offer.

I am new, it's my first job post graduate scheme I haven't had many interviews before
Original post by Fineappleonpiza
I am new, it's my first job post graduate scheme I haven't had many interviews before

That's fine - just work out answers to the salary question that don't include you mentioning a number first! You only have a genuine value to a company when they decide to make you an offer. It's only with an offer you should start discussing numbers, and even then, they should always mention the number first.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending