The Student Room Group

Software engineer job advise

It's creeping up to 3 years at current company I have 5 years experience and I only went from 28k to 30k recently. I'm not happy as devloper roles go for 40 -45k locally! I spoke to the boss and told him about it and he said they ain't gonna compete with other company basically saying they don't care and told me I need ro improve on xyz bs before they can increase my salary and told me I'm welcome to leave or stay. I told him that junior roles are offering even 40k what is this joke! Is this normal?
Reply 1
Have you applied for any other jobs? If you want to go ahead.

In the meantime, listen to the feedback and do what you can to improve. How long will it take to improve 'xyz'?

Your conversation with the boss in a few months time may have a different outcome if you have proved yourself (and perhaps hold another job offer). Of course, there is also the risk that the company will think they can hire someone more cheaply to do the tasks you currently do.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Original post by johnathanReid
It's creeping up to 3 years at current company I have 5 years experience and I only went from 28k to 30k recently. I'm not happy as devloper roles go for 40 -45k locally! I spoke to the boss and told him about it and he said they ain't gonna compete with other company basically saying they don't care and told me I need ro improve on xyz bs before they can increase my salary and told me I'm welcome to leave or stay. I told him that junior roles are offering even 40k what is this joke! Is this normal?

I agree that with 5 years of experience £28-30k is a bit too low and you should be aiming higher. I only have half a year of experience, (basically almost no experience) and I earn the same amount as you do for a similar type of role.

The first thing to do would be to take on the advice. You said that they told you to improve on xyz, so try your best to improve. However, if you genuinely feel that you are well qualified and confident in your job role you can start looking for a job elsewhere. With 5 years of experience you could even land a senior role somewhere.
Reply 3
Start job hunting, the proof of the pudding is when you land a job offer with this increase. With the attitude of your current employer it seems like it would be a refreshing change too
Reply 4
The problem I'm facing is I'm a core php developer and never used frameworks within this company and whether I look they want laravel as example. I'm in weird situation as I'm mid developer but also a junior if that make sense. I tried applying to junior roles but I get no response they look at me like I'm crazy with 5 years experience applying for junior. The xyz is aimed at design rather than anything else and to be honest I'm sick of front end development so I want to focus on backend.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending