The Student Room Group

Higher Computing APPEAL?

How do these work exactly?

If someone gets a C in the final exam and they got 51% in the prelim (The highest mark in their year).

The final exam is made up of the external assessment and coursework. Coursework counts for 25%.

The whole thing is out of 200. Coursework is out of 60. So the final exam is out of 140.

I got 51/60 for the coursework. Which means I went into the exam with 20% of my total grade. I have no idea how the HELL I got a C...:s-smilie:

If I appeal..do they only look at your prelim mark or do they add the coursework onto the prelim mark giving me 71%?
Reply 1
so the 51% in your prelim, does that mean you got 71/72 out of 140? so once you add your 51 out of 60 on to that you have 123 out of 200 which is 61.5%.

I think i've probably misread your post but if what i said is the case I don't think you have much hope of an appeal.
Reply 2
I think they only look at your prelim mark, but it probably would be best to get in contact with your teacher/school and ask.

Do you know your band? Because you'll only be able to appeal if you got a C Band 5.
Reply 3
I think your school can only appeal for the grade in which you achieved in the prelim.
The school would have sent in a prediction for you ( probably your prelim grade plus an estimated coursework grade) and that will be the highest grade you could appeal for.

What did you get in your prelim?
So you got 102/160 in total then?

But that's about 64%.
I suppose you could, not positive you'd get it, but you don't really have anything to lose so you might as well try.
Reply 6
namedeprived
So you got 102/160 in total then?

But that's about 64%.

However, if im right and they can only appeal for what they predicted you at, then they would not incorporate his actual practical coursework mark (as it would not have been completed yet) . They would have given an estimated mark (which was 50/60 for everyone in my school) when I ended up with 58.

So if they predicted him @ 50/60 and he got 51/100 in the prelim (which equates to 72/140) then he would have achieved 62% altogether.

I think if this is the case you have a chance of appealing for a B.
Reply 7
Ape Gone Insane
So could I appeal, in computing grades, whatever that translates into Band 4 or Band 3 B?

You can only appeal up one band ie, Band 5 C to Band 4 B.
Reply 8
Did you do any work under exam conditions? Like practise exams under strict conditions, extra course work, etc? These all count so use these with your prelim.

They need evidence that you have been achieving Bs (is that the grade you'd like to appeal for?) throughout the year. Or once or twice at least. :p:

I would highly advise you contact your computing teacher very soon if you haven't already. Is there anyway you could email them? I would have thought your school will be closed again now.
To be honest, I don't fancy your chances. You're prelim isn't really great evidence that you're a B candidate, but phone up your school and see what they say.
Reply 10
laura-rad

this isn't true. a guy i know successfully appealed from a band 4 B to an A.
Ape Gone Insane
AABBB > AABBC :biggrin:

I'll try.

You need ask your school whether you are on the "allowed to appeal" list, which is determined by your grade prediction submitted ages ago. If you aren't on the list you won't even get off the ground with the appeal. If you are on the list though, go for it.
Reply 12
Ape Gone Insane
How do these work exactly?

If someone gets a C in the final exam and they got 51% in the prelim (The highest mark in their year).

The final exam is made up of the external assessment and coursework. Coursework counts for 25%.

The whole thing is out of 200. Coursework is out of 60. So the final exam is out of 140.

I got 51/60 for the coursework. Which means I went into the exam with 20% of my total grade. I have no idea how the HELL I got a C...:s-smilie:

If I appeal..do they only look at your prelim mark or do they add the coursework onto the prelim mark giving me 71%?

Coursework is out of 60 and counts for 30% (60/200) of your final grade not 25%. Since you got 51/60 in your coursework, you went into the exam with 25.5% of marks already gained. To have got a C in the final exam, you would have probably got less than 60/140.

Your overall grade is determined by adding the marks you got for the coursework + mark in the exam divided by 200. Not by calculating what percentage you got in each element and adding them together.

So I'm assuming if you appeal they will add your coursework onto your prelim mark. Did you get 71/140 in your prelim? If you did that means you got 61% overall, which is a B. In my opinion you should consider appealing although i'm not sure what the chances are your appeal will be successful. As said above you have nothing to lose.
Reply 13
laura-rad

Not always the case - my cousin went from a C in Higher Music to an A on appeal.

Latest

Trending

Trending