The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would say definitely no, because straight Economics is a highly valued degree and it offers yo u a lot more paths in your future career. Do you want to do a job in the finance sector?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Go for economics... it's easier to spell than quantitative and employers have some idea of what it is
Reply 3
Economics.
Reply 4
But this is a Masters degree, whereas straight Economics is just a Bachelors, wouldn't the Masters degree be more respected by employers? Also, you require better grades for AQF than Econ. Any thoughts?
Reply 5
You can also do a Master of Arts in Economics. You definitely dont need better grades for AQF than for Economics.
Reply 6
fg08
You can also do a Master of Arts in Economics. You definitely dont need better grades for AQF than for Economics.

Apparently, Master of Arts is equivalent to a Bachelors, and is only used by ancient unis eg St A's, Cambridge.

For AQF, you need Advanced Higher Maths, no Advanced Highers are required for Economics.
Reply 7
That doesnt mean that its easier to get into the Economics course.
Reply 8
Could i apply for both, the decide later?
Reply 9
Anyone?
Reply 10
Do you wanna apply at St Andrews for those two courses?
You can apply for both courses but Ive heard very often that Universites dont like it because it shows that you are not sure which course you want apply for.
Reply 11
fg08
Do you wanna apply at St Andrews for those two courses?
You can apply for both courses but Ive heard very often that Universites dont like it because it shows that you are not sure which course you want apply for.

I'll bear that in mind. Thanks for the advice.
Reply 12
You don't have to apply for the two courses.

If you get admitted to either, you can take modules in any subject but Medicine. Which means you can get accepted for French and do Philosophy, and drop the first for the latter. Or as in your case.

Besides, you may be interested to know that since your courses are so similar, you actually do the same for the first year, since Finance doesn't open up until the second year. Therefore, no matter which course you go into, you'll do the same for the first year, and will be able to change it during your time at uni.
Reply 13
predius

If you get admitted to either, you can take modules in any subject but Medicine. Which means you can get accepted for French and do Philosophy, and drop the first for the latter. Or as in your case.

That isnt entirely true, you can only change courses when you stay in the same faculty. Its very difficult to change faculty, so it would be very hard to change from e.g. French to Chemistry.
Hey.

What grades in terms of Scottish highers and adv. highers would you need to get admitted to either Economics or Applied Quantative Finance at St. Andrews?

in advance, thanks.
Reply 15
Stock-Addict
Hey.

What grades in terms of Scottish highers and adv. highers would you need to get admitted to either Economics or Applied Quantative Finance at St. Andrews?

in advance, thanks.

For both, you need a minimum of AABB at higher, and for AQF you also require approx. BB at AH, including Maths.

Glad i've found someone else interested in this course.:smile:
Thank you very much for your quick reply.
Are there any other business-related courses that St. Andrews offer?
Reply 17
To be honest, I dont want to disappoint you, but those are just the minimum grades, so you should have better grades to stand a real chance.

@ Stock-Addict I dont want to be rude, but this is all stuff you can easily find out at the St Andrews website. Have a look at the Business school and Economics and Finance department website.
Oh, I feel sorry for you if you didn't get in or anything..., because you sound kinda bitter... xD
I feel comfortable though og getting in if I desire so, ans I hope you do too. :wink:
Reply 19
fg08
To be honest, I dont want to disappoint you, but those are just the minimum grades, so you should have better grades to stand a real chance.

@ Stock-Addict I dont want to be rude, but this is all stuff you can easily find out at the St Andrews website. Have a look at the Business school and Economics and Finance department website.

"For both, you need a minimum of AABB" were my exact words.

Latest

Trending

Trending