The Student Room Group
I want to study MA Graphic Design and am thinking of going either MMU or Uclan, but that's because they're (sort of) local to me.

I think Uclan is meant to be really good but Im not sure about MMU.
Reply 2
Both UCLAN and MMU have good graphic design courses, or so I've heard.

I would suggest looking at the following list on the D&AD website:

http://studentawards.dandad.org/2009/retrospective

Most of the good and recognised colleges and universities in the UK for graphic design are listed there. :smile:
Reply 3
hardstyleGuru
I want to study MA Graphic Design and am thinking of going either MMU or Uclan, but that's because they're (sort of) local to me.

I think Uclan is meant to be really good but Im not sure about MMU.

Yea I've herd about Uclan and Also Staffordshire suposed 2 be good.
What are you doing for your Alevel?

Cause what I'm doing has nothing to do with Graphic Design (German, R.E and I.T)

you reckon i could still do graphic design?
Reply 4
ayden09
Yea I've herd about Uclan and Also Staffordshire suposed 2 be good.
What are you doing for your Alevel?

Cause what I'm doing has nothing to do with Graphic Design (German, R.E and I.T)

you reckon i could still do graphic design?

Your A-Level choices do not necessarily have to be relevant, but it would help (studying 'Art', for instance). Most apply for an art foundation course after they finish their A-Levels and before their undergraduate degree. In this case, the foundation course will be emphasised upon more than your A-Levels when applying for your undergraduate degree. Of course, the portfolio is also another important aspect when applying. :smile:
Reply 5
Matisse
Your A-Level choices do not necessarily have to be relevant, but it would help (studying 'Art', for instance). Most apply for an art foundation course after they finish their A-Levels and before their undergraduate degree. In this case, the foundation course will be emphasised upon more than your A-Levels when applying for your undergraduate degree. Of course, the portfolio is also another important aspect when applying. :smile:

so in my case, what do you think i Should do?

Apply for an art foundation dgree?
Reply 6
ayden09
so in my case, what do you think i Should do?

Apply for an art foundation dgree?

I would personally recommend it. In addition to gaining a relevant qualification, you will also gain a proper understanding of what art and design education is like, particularly at higher education and/or undergraduate level. The foundation course can be done at your local college or at university (popularly at any of the UAL colleges or somewhere like Ravensbourne or Kingston). In fact, most of the good and competitive graphic design courses actually require you to have undergone an art foundation course. :yes:
Reply 7
Hey, Might be a bit of a treck! But The city of Manchester college run a Graphic design and Advertising foundation course. Its well worth checking out the site.

It also leads onto a 3rd year to receive you BA(HONS) degree.
All you need is a suitable amount of work, obviously to a good standard.
And thats it!
Reply 8
I'm going to LCC (UAL) to study Graphic and Media Design in 4 WEEKS!!!!!!!

I'm a little exited.
Reply 9
*excited
Oh aye, im doing Graphic Design. Trent is good! Then again i may be biased, but then again, its is considered one of the best institutes for Art & Design in the UK.
But if you have any questions, feel free to ask :smile:

My route into it was: AS (dropped out, as it wasn't benefitting or forwarding me in any way) >BTEC (gained experience and a portfolio) >BA (its awesome!)
Reply 11
I went to the Nottingham Trent open day yesterday, it was really good and apparently has a good reputation for arts. They said only a few students on their graphic design course are straight from A level. But I think I'm just going to apply for the course and if I don't get in then do a foundation art course. It depends what sort of things you cover at A level in art, and make sure you have a good portfolio. Also try Winchester School of Art (Southampton Uni).

Latest