The Student Room Group

Graphic design portfolio

I am currently in sixth form studying for my A Levels in Philosophy, Psychology and Law, however, I have decided to change path and am interested in studying for a degree in Graphic Design.

I understand I have to obtain certain grades in order for me to be accepted into unis and I will be required to present my portfolio. The issue I face is that I am dedicating my full time to study hard for my exams to be able to achieve the required grades, and I feel I may not be able to dedicate enough time to build my portfolio.

I was wondering how best I could go about this to ensure that I am able to study hard to achieve my required grades, but also be able to build my portfolio in time.
(edited 6 months ago)
i would first recommend looking at the uni's youre interested in and finding out what they require in a portfolio so you can specifically create things to fit their briefs. also try planning out a timetable and distribute your free time between academic and portfolio work. a levels do require a lot of work and effort but with the right time management and self discipline you'll be able to get both done. to be completely honest, its going to be hard especially if the unis youre looking at all have different requirements but always focus on the quality not quantity - often, process photos in portfolios can be a great way to communicate your skills.
Reply 2
Original post by arch17
i would first recommend looking at the uni's youre interested in and finding out what they require in a portfolio so you can specifically create things to fit their briefs. also try planning out a timetable and distribute your free time between academic and portfolio work. a levels do require a lot of work and effort but with the right time management and self discipline you'll be able to get both done. to be completely honest, its going to be hard especially if the unis youre looking at all have different requirements but always focus on the quality not quantity - often, process photos in portfolios can be a great way to communicate your skills.

My personal statement is all completed and I know which unis i’m applying for and 2 are foundation years. I’ve started my portfolio a bit but i’m looking into buying a course to help with it
Original post by srvnn
My personal statement is all completed and I know which unis i’m applying for and 2 are foundation years. I’ve started my portfolio a bit but i’m looking into buying a course to help with it

there are plenty of youtube videos that are just as good if not better than courses but i'd also recommend speaking to an art teacher at your sixth form for help because they can see what you've done and help you put it together instead of doing it yourself
A few points..

A Foundation Diploma is a great option (as opposed to an additional foundation year). Check the sticky thread in this section, if you haven't read it already.

Many of the great degree courses in this country don't have particularly high entry tariffs, so i wouldn't worry too much about getting certain grades. Many of those will still be accepting students in clearing as well, so that's a backup plan if things don't go to plan.

The majority of courses will be looking at the quality of your design work rather than your grades.
Reply 5
Original post by insidedesigner
A few points..

A Foundation Diploma is a great option (as opposed to an additional foundation year). Check the sticky thread in this section, if you haven't read it already.

Many of the great degree courses in this country don't have particularly high entry tariffs, so i wouldn't worry too much about getting certain grades. Many of those will still be accepting students in clearing as well, so that's a backup plan if things don't go to plan.

The majority of courses will be looking at the quality of your design work rather than your grades.

I don’t really know what to make either as i mostly like to make stuff digitally and it requires you to sketch but i can’t draw 😭
In the professional world, designers don't need to be able to draw well.

However, you should be up for learning how to. Buy a sketchbook, watch some Youtube videos and just practice. Do a couple of pages a day, draw people, things around you, landscapes and from your imagination. It'll help free you up creatively.

If you don't know what to make (which is fair enough) then i'd say the Foundation Diploma after you finish your A Levels is the best option. During the course you might find that you actually want to study ux, or animation or advertising at Uni - not necessarily pure graphic design. It's a brilliant way to spend a year.
Original post by srvnn
I don’t really know what to make either as i mostly like to make stuff digitally and it requires you to sketch but i can’t draw 😭

I'd agree with the recommendations above about focusing on taking a FAD course first (and getting stuck in to improve your sketching and drawing - no one starts off good at these things and not being afraid to make bad art as a way to practice and improve is a really important skill).

If you're looking for ideas for work to produce for a portfolio then there's some brief generators linked here: https://fakeclients.com/blog/goodbrief-alternatives
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
I'd agree with the recommendations above about focusing on taking a FAD course first (and getting stuck in to improve your sketching and drawing - no one starts off good at these things and not being afraid to make bad art as a way to practice and improve is a really important skill).

If you're looking for ideas for work to produce for a portfolio then there's some brief generators linked here: https://fakeclients.com/blog/goodbrief-alternatives

Can i put my brief work into my portfolio too or does every work need to have a meaning ? What if my drawings don’t look good enough to be put into my portfolio ?

Quick Reply

Latest