The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Thanks Trev. I positively repped you :smile:. Looks like everyone has faith in me to do well this year, freinds and family, I have to do well, or else! I intitially wanted to take Geography, I do it at GCSE and it's easy! Although the downside would be that i'd have to do a tonne of coursework, which I really do not like! I have decided to keep ICT, Biology, Chemistry, just need one more. Thanks for your help everyone!
Reply 21
WantA*
Thanks Trev. I positively repped you :smile:. Looks like everyone has faith in me to do well this year, freinds and family, I have to do well, or else! I intitially wanted to take Geography, I do it at GCSE and it's easy! Although the downside would be that i'd have to do a tonne of coursework, which I really do not like! I have decided to keep ICT, Biology, Chemistry, just need one more. Thanks for your help everyone!

You're welcome. Thanks for the rep, saw it a few minutes ago.

If it is AQA B Geography, you will only have coursework in the second part of the course, and not the first part of it. Since you say GCSE Geography is easy, you should consider A-level geography, as it's just a build up of GCSE stuff, but in more detail. By the way, I'm doing that spec, if you need help, I will be glad to help.
Reply 22
I dont know which Geography the school offer. Im moving to a Grammer School because im leaving my state school for grammer in 6th Form, and I need the grades to get into there aswell, although they are pretty easy. Im on the OCR Avery Hill course for Geography at the moment....if that means anything to you :biggrin:
Reply 23
WantA*
I dont know which Geography the school offer. Im moving to a Grammer School because im leaving my state school for grammer in 6th Form, and I need the grades to get into there aswell, although they are pretty easy. Im on the OCR Avery Hill course for Geography at the moment....if that means anything to you :biggrin:

I don't do geography with OCR. :frown: I'm sure the course content will be similar. If you need help, you can always post in the geography sub forum. What grades do you need to get into the grammer school for sixth form?

Most people on here follow the Edexcel spec followed by AQA and OCR. There are a small amount of people following WJEC.

I wish you good luck to get into that grammer school for sixth form.
Reply 24
The entry requirements are only 6 A*-C and then B's in the subjects im taking. They are only accepting 40 people from outside thier school and thier 6th form consists of 400 students. For Mathematics at AS/A2 "A" Grade at GCSE is required but im not taking it. I already have a conditional offer from them, all I need to do is get the grades :biggrin:
Reply 25
WantA*
The entry requirements are only 6 A*-C and then B's in the subjects im taking. They are only accepting 40 people from outside thier school and thier 6th form consists of 400 students. For Mathematics at AS/A2 "A" Grade at GCSE is required but im not taking it. I already have a conditional offer from them, all I need to do is get the grades :biggrin:

Those entry requirements are similar to other schools and colleges. You will get them. I'm assuming every single subject they offer in the grammer school want B's in the subjects students want to take (e.g. GCSE Chemistry grade B to do A-level chemistry).

The sixth form is very big! Mine is only about 250. I'm assuming the class sizes will be big, as ther are 400 students.

How come you want to change schools for sixth form?

Good luck in getting in.
Reply 26
I did OCR - Avery Hill, pretty easy (got A*). I heard, although, that it is actually easier than most other GCSE boards and so the jump from GCSE to AS can be a bit more of a leap, i.e. a leap!

But ... Geography is a pretty straightforward subject (i.e. when compared to Chemistry!) and so I would do it.

Also ... You might want to take a humanities subject (English / History) if you are good at them and enjoy them, to show you are 'wdie ranging', as it were.

Best of luck.
Reply 27
Thanks Trev. My school is a piece of s**t and thier teachers cant teach at all! Anyone would be lucky to get 5 A-C's going here and we only have a 30% pass rate at GCSE (5 A-C or above). No one have ever got 11/10 A* although our current year group has got the highest KS3 results ever, and they are hoping for the highest GCSE results. I might have to break some records :biggrin:!!
Reply 28
Ossie1701
I did OCR - Avery Hill, pretty easy (got A*). I heard, although, that it is actually easier than most other GCSE boards and so the jump from GCSE to AS can be a bit more of a leap, i.e. a leap!

But ... Geography is a pretty straightforward subject (i.e. when compared to Chemistry!) and so I would do it.

Also ... You might want to take a humanities subject (English / History) if you are good at them and enjoy them, to show you are 'wdie ranging', as it were.

Best of luck.

Congrats! I got 92% in my Geography mock, your right its easy!
Reply 29
WantA*
Thanks Trev. My school is a piece of s**t and thier teachers cant teach at all! Anyone would be lucky to get 5 A-C's going here and we only have a 30% pass rate at GCSE (5 A-C or above). No one have ever got 11/10 A* although our current year group has got the highest KS3 results ever, and they are hoping for the highest GCSE results. I might have to break some records :biggrin:!!

You're welcome.

Any other students/friends going to another school or college for sixth form? I wouldn't mind the school stats, as long as you do well, that's the most important thing.
Reply 30
Yea exactly, it's up to you how you do. Many people are staying on because of the friends and atmosphere, but I need to move on u know
Reply 31
WantA*
Yea exactly, it's up to you how you do. Many people are staying on because of the friends and atmosphere, but I need to move on u know

Alright fair enough. This is the same as my friends staying at the same school for sixth form as they don't want to miss their friends and stuff like that. In addition, the teachers are good at our school, and that's why they don't want to move. There are about 5 people that went to college in our school. In colleges, the teaching style is different and you should be more independent, whereas in schools the teaches keep reminding you of deadlines and stuff like that.
WantA*
wow 6/7A*!!! I wont be going Birmingham though, hopefully a London uni. Thanks for your advice. :biggrin:

I got a bit muddled - it's actually 5A*s, [most probably] going up to 6A*s for next year.

Birmingham do however put those who are borderline onto a waiting list, and I know two people who got in off the waiting list this year - and were notified via email with the good news, quite recently in fact.

Latest

Trending

Trending