The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _jason_
hahaha! :biggrin:

LoL It's true though! In my store it is, all they ever do is walk around, talk on the phone and give orders! Once in a blue moon, you MAY see them ACTUALLY do work!
When applying for a job at ASDA, or any other supermarkets, am I supposed to find the manager and hand in my CV? Or do I have to do it online?
Original post by Superman_Jr
When applying for a job at ASDA, or any other supermarkets, am I supposed to find the manager and hand in my CV? Or do I have to do it online?

Go customer service desk and ask if they have any jobs.

If they do then they will have application forms there.

You can also apply online i think but i did it instore so i dunno.
Original post by MHorman
Go customer service desk and ask if they have any jobs.

If they do then they will have application forms there.

You can also apply online i think but i did it instore so i dunno.

Are the application forms quick to do (meaning you are able to finish it within 5 minutes)? And what happens after that? I'm not familiar with this, this is my first time looking for a job haha.
How the hell did I become a Forum Assistant? Lolz.
If I don't get into medicine I'm going to work at asda.
Are the application forms quick to do (meaning you are able to finish it within 5 minutes)? And what happens after that? I'm not familiar with this, this is my first time looking for a job haha.

IIRC(it was 3 years ago) the form is about 15 mins long including random stupid questions and details about previous jobs etc. If you have a copy of your CV and stuff with you it'll be easy to fill out though...

How the hell did I become a Forum Assistant? Lolz.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/TSR_Roles_Explained#Forum_Assistant

google is your friend. :biggrin:

Original post by Cheesecakefactory
If I don't get into medicine I'm going to work at asda.
~

No need to be a dick about it. No one here is having a full time career at asda. We're all students using it as a part time job.

I'm doing a Masters in chemistry so no need to be condescending to people that work at Asda mate. You'll be surprised...
Original post by MHorman
IIRC(it was 3 years ago) the form is about 15 mins long including random stupid questions and details about previous jobs etc. If you have a copy of your CV and stuff with you it'll be easy to fill out though...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/TSR_Roles_Explained#Forum_Assistant

google is your friend. :biggrin:

~

No need to be a dick about it. No one here is having a full time career at asda. We're all students using it as a part time job.

I'm doing a Masters in chemistry so no need to be condescending to people that work at Asda mate. You'll be surprised...

Thanks for the reply. So you're saying I don't need to see the manager then? I thought it would be better as you would be more direct.
Thanks for the reply. So you're saying I don't need to see the manager then? I thought it would be better as you would be more direct.

Nah, just ask at customer service desk for forms... You worry about meeting different managers later on...
Reply 289
I've applied to asda online twice, they didn't even take me to interview WTH
my store is having a referb and my department is closed when I am back . So checkouts called me up telling me they had hours, telling people where stuff has moved to, 24 hours a week........... anyone been done this before... it kinda seems pointless / easy money, I genuinely thought id be shelf stacking which im trained to do.....mind you im not complaining about the easy money
Not done it but it sounds alright. You'll probably end up working on tills and maybe running as well at the same time...

I have my first shift at the new store tomorrow. A little 6.25 hour shift on tills.
I asked about overtime and they said i can basically just say when i want to turn up/leave as there is so much overtime. At my old store you were lucky to get an overtime shift a day...

First till shift since xmas. Inb4 i make a load of n00b mistakes...
Original post by MHorman
Not done it but it sounds alright. You'll probably end up working on tills and maybe running as well at the same time...

I have my first shift at the new store tomorrow. A little 6.25 hour shift on tills.
I asked about overtime and they said i can basically just say when i want to turn up/leave as there is so much overtime. At my old store you were lucky to get an overtime shift a day...

First till shift since xmas. Inb4 i make a load of n00b mistakes...

ha they like me apperently im good at the job ????????? im apparently lucky to get anything Ive heard others have been told they have no hours and no work

.I dont think you can beat my only checkout shift mistakes wise , im sure the best one was double scanning a £7 bottle of wine and realizing once the customer had left.....................he didnt notice and wasnt the most pleasant... this was many years ago.

im not offically till trained, I have avoided it for 2years :wink:
Original post by huntthehaunted
ha they like me apperently im good at the job ????????? im apparently lucky to get anything Ive heard others have been told they have no hours and no work

.I dont think you can beat my only checkout shift mistakes wise , im sure the best one was double scanning a £7 bottle of wine and realizing once the customer had left.....................he didnt notice and wasnt the most pleasant... this was many years ago.

im not offically till trained, I have avoided it for 2years :wink:

The best thing about being already trained at ASDA is i ask if they have any hours going they say no. Then i mention i'm a fully trained ASDA colleague with 3 years experience and suddenly there's overtime on every single day. :biggrin:

I only made a few mistakes today of double scanning stuff but that's not my fault. It's like riding a bike really. Once you've learnt it it's not hard... The saddest thing is how i'd memorised most of the veg numbers by the end of my 6 hour shift... Back in on sunday and then will probs do overtime tues/weds as well just to pick up some extra mons...

And how did you avoid being till trained? I was till trained literally the shift after my 18th birthday. You should move to tills though it's the dossiest job you'll ever do...
Original post by MHorman
The best thing about being already trained at ASDA is i ask if they have any hours going they say no. Then i mention i'm a fully trained ASDA colleague with 3 years experience and suddenly there's overtime on every single day. :biggrin:

I only made a few mistakes today of double scanning stuff but that's not my fault. It's like riding a bike really. Once you've learnt it it's not hard... The saddest thing is how i'd memorised most of the veg numbers by the end of my 6 hour shift... Back in on sunday and then will probs do overtime tues/weds as well just to pick up some extra mons...

And how did you avoid being till trained? I was till trained literally the shift after my 18th birthday. You should move to tills though it's the dossiest job you'll ever do...

skill, :P nah I got bored on tills well the 3 hours I did , shopfloor and counters are more fun I once followed someone round with a box for 30 mins as we were told if we were empty handed we were being sent home, the management used to have such a good sense of humor........
Original post by huntthehaunted
skill, :P nah I got bored on tills well the 3 hours I did , shopfloor and counters are more fun I once followed someone round with a box for 30 mins as we were told if we were empty handed we were being sent home, the management used to have such a good sense of humor........

Well, yea tills is boring but it's a lot less effort. I've worked on the shopfloor for years and it's effort.. Dragging around heavy cages and having to help 100s of customers but then you help 10 customers then get shouted at for not finishing your cage within 20 minutes. It' s alot of stress i don't need... On tills you turn up, scan things, go home. That's it...
Original post by MHorman
Well, yea tills is boring but it's a lot less effort. I've worked on the shopfloor for years and it's effort.. Dragging around heavy cages and having to help 100s of customers but then you help 10 customers then get shouted at for not finishing your cage within 20 minutes. It' s alot of stress i don't need... On tills you turn up, scan things, go home. That's it...

ive never dragged a heavy cage round , we still have flatbeds :smile: and no one ever shouts at me for being slow , hungover , later etc i suppose checkouts is easier in that sense though alot of it for me is the laughs we have tbh
Reply 297
I've worked at Asda for about 6 months now...Chilled colleague.

Anyone else notice that the managers are all arrogant pricks who treat you like retards?

They also have their favourites.. for male managers it seems to be 18-21 year old females... how convenient...
Ok so my situation is situational ive been to the asda magic interview and there we had the 1v1 interview aswell there were 100 interviewed for 16 jobs so there was like 8 asda magic interviews done over 4 days 2 a day. i went to the first available on a tuesday the last took place on a saterday. how long each way to reckon it'l take if its good or bad news??
Original post by m00balot
Hello, I work for ASDA and have done so for a year, have worked on ALOT of departments and am trained on ALOT of different things (I'm a bit of an ASDA whore, but I need the money, so I like to do alot!)

If you have ANY questions about applying, the application or the interviewing process, even the working and the way to use a till (if your desperate to know :P ) just ask!

Hi :smile: I had a group magic session today and I think I did really well and thought that was it but it turns out I have a one-to-one interview on Friday and I'm quite nervous and don't know what to expect.. Is there anything that you woud recommend researching about the company beforehand or will the questions be more based around me? Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending