The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

What is Stirling University like?

Alright guys, question I'd like to put forward to those there now, those who've been to the open day and those who've left.

I was looking at the site and it looks fantastic. A lovely setting and whilst I've been to Stirling itself and really liked the city, I've never seen nor heard anything of the University Campus itself. So can anyone tell me what its like?

I'm going to put it as my top choice because I like the History and Politics Courses there, and again, the setting looks brilliant. Stirling itself is quite cheap (as I remember from last year), its very pedestrian-friendly, lots to see and do and a hop, skip and a jump from Edinburgh and Glasgow. Also, there's family members around that area so, in a pinch, I've got someone to lend a hand.

So yeah, any opinions on what all of its like would be much appreciated. :smile:

Cheers.
Original post by DH-Biker
Alright guys, question I'd like to put forward to those there now, those who've been to the open day and those who've left.

I was looking at the site and it looks fantastic. A lovely setting and whilst I've been to Stirling itself and really liked the city, I've never seen nor heard anything of the University Campus itself. So can anyone tell me what its like?

I'm going to put it as my top choice because I like the History and Politics Courses there, and again, the setting looks brilliant. Stirling itself is quite cheap (as I remember from last year), its very pedestrian-friendly, lots to see and do and a hop, skip and a jump from Edinburgh and Glasgow. Also, there's family members around that area so, in a pinch, I've got someone to lend a hand.

So yeah, any opinions on what all of its like would be much appreciated. :smile:

Cheers.

I'm a first year studying History, Politics and Education, so hopefully I'll be able to answer some of your questions.

The campus itself has plenty of woodland, a lake in the middle and its fair share of wildlife (which you'll find out if you live on campus and squirrels invade your kitchen!). Not to mention it has a castle on campus! link Definitely a lovely place to live and learn, but that's just my opinion! It's worth going to one of the open days if you can, and have a look round.

In my opinion, History is a far more interesting course (so far) than Politics, but both are good. History modules are split into 8 "themes" within that time period (i.e. in the first module you'll do a week on the Napoleonic Wars, a week on the Irish Potato Famine, Scramble for Africa etc). You'll have two lectures each week, the first giving a general view of the topic and the second being a bit more focused. You'll have to do two essays, but you can choose which of the eight themes you want to answer a question on. Essays are weighted 40% and 50% of your overall grade, with a document report making up the other 10% (a bit like source work at school). Politics is a bit different, still has an essay weighted 40%, but there's also a class test (40%) and a multi choice test (20%). Isn't split up into themes though like History, but is more introductory at this stage. Both subjects are fairly good at easing you into university study, and the tutors are happy to help you with any queries or questions you have.

Stirling is relatively cheap, especially compared to the likes of Edinburgh or Glasgow. You can get a return on the bus for £1.50 with your student card, which'll take you into town, and buses are fairly frequent. Nightlife in Stirling isn't fantastic (though there are several pubs in town, and a few clubs - Dusk, Fubar and the Med/Red Room to name the most popular ones, as well as Envy on campus), though it depends on who you go with really, and you're close enough to the main cities to travel through. Plenty to see and do about Stirling though - the university isn't too far away from the Wallace Monument if you fancy the uphill trek, and there's also Stirling Castle, but there's also the Macrobert centre on campus (cinema and theatre). There's also plenty of clubs and societies at Stirling, (especially for sport), and you can start one up if there isn't already one you like the sound of.

There's still a lot I could say about Stirling, but I've leave you with this for now. Hope it helps, and if you have any more questions feel free to ask me and I'll try my best to answer :smile:
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

Quick Reply

Latest