The Student Room Group

a levels for law/theology

I posted a thread earlier but I didn't really get any useful information.

I want to do law or theology and religious studies at a decent university.

I already know that I'm doing english literature, religious studies, philosophy and politics, but I'm struggling for a fifth option. I am certain that I will not do history as I didn't do it at GCSE and I find it hard. Has anyone got any other suggestions? also, what grades will I need to get into russell group universities such as durham or edinburgh.

Thankyou for your help. :smile:
Reply 1
Anybody here?:s
Hello,

English Literature and Religious Studies seem fine for Law. Although, the top universities (and most of the Russell Group) may see Philosophy and particularly Politics as slightly weaker subjects. Trinity College, Cambridge lists Politics as one of its less preferred A-level choices.

Other suggestions (apart from History) could be Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Economics, Sociology or a language subject.

The universities your looking at (Russell Group and top of the league table) will require A*AA/AAA grades for entry to Law as it's highly competitive. For Theology/Religious Studies the entry requirements will be anything between AAA - ABB.

Also, fifth option?? Why do you have to take five? Universities usually only ask for 3 A-Levels and 1 AS. Does your sixth form/college require you to take five?
Reply 3
stupidly, yes my sixth form college does require us to study 5 AS levels, which is dumb in my opinion. I do German GCSE but find it hard, and I do French and Spanish with a private tutor, I'm not really a fan of languages. I'm only getting a B in maths and for my sixth form college you need an A... same for the sciences and economics. I do sociology GCSE and find it quite easy (achieving A*) but I heard that some uni's don't like it. Overall, what would be my best options?

note: I'm certainly doing english literature and religious studies.
Original post by BenWood!X
stupidly, yes my sixth form college does require us to study 5 AS levels, which is dumb in my opinion. I do German GCSE but find it hard, and I do French and Spanish with a private tutor, I'm not really a fan of languages. I'm only getting a B in maths and for my sixth form college you need an A... same for the sciences and economics. I do sociology GCSE and find it quite easy (achieving A*) but I heard that some uni's don't like it. Overall, what would be my best options?

note: I'm certainly doing english literature and religious studies.

Your going to have to find the right balance of 'academic' A-Levels and things you enjoy, otherwise some of the Russell Group may reject your application.

If you picked English Literature, Religious Studies, Politics, Philosophy and Sociology, at least 3/5 of your AS choices would be considered as weak to the top universities.

Either you compromise your AS choices to get into a good university (i.e. pick a language, science) or do things you want to do for a university with less-academic rigor... something I can't decide for you.
Reply 5
For my a-levels atm, im doing Biology, Chemistry, Religious studies and I.T(side choice) and I got my conditional offer for Birmingham.
Reply 6
Original post by BenWood!X
I posted a thread earlier but I didn't really get any useful information.

I want to do law or theology and religious studies at a decent university.

I already know that I'm doing english literature, religious studies, philosophy and politics, but I'm struggling for a fifth option. I am certain that I will not do history as I didn't do it at GCSE and I find it hard. Has anyone got any other suggestions? also, what grades will I need to get into russell group universities such as durham or edinburgh.

Thankyou for your help. :smile:

For law the RG are creeping towards A*AA, Durham are already there, so aim for that I suppose. They have no preference for A levels other than that they prefer 'rigorous' ones:

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/informed-choices.aspx

Though there's no point doing Physics, Chemistry, French, Spanish and Lit if you then do badly in them, you still need to be certain that of your 3 you can get AAA at least, so if doing some less 'difficult' ones allows you to focus on them it might help.

Ultimately, it's up to you to decide whether you could cope with 5 'tough' ones and get the grades still or not.

Theology I guess would be less competitive, but I don't really know much about it.

Quick Reply

Latest