The Student Room Group

Studying Law or Philosophy undergrad and where???

I can't decide on wether I want to do a law degree or a non-law degree and then a law conversion, if I still want to be a lawyer by the time I leave university. I guess that kind of sums up my attitude towards law. I am not sure wether I am cut out for the long hours and high stress levels of a lawyer! Although I am worried that doing a philosophy degree will close doors for me in the job market. At the moment I have grades D1 ( equivalent to A**) AB although I have retaken my Maths a -level ( which is what I got a B in) and am waiting for results in December. Realistically I need at least AAA to attend a Russell group for law. Yet I still can't decide wether its really for me! A lot of lawyers I have spoken to seem to tend towards the conversion as the degree is dull. I can't decide! I have the grades to do a Philosophy and theology course at 90% of RG. Yet still feel like I am closing doors by not striving for Law, which is still a really great degree even if I don't end up being a lawyer.. Help!!!!
Reply 1
Did you ever consider maybe doing a law apprenticeship? If it's not for you then you can always go to university and pursue philosophy instead. Maybe a degree apprenticeship in law will be more beneficial for you since it gives you hands on experience since the degree is dull and you come out of it with the same qualifications. You could even try to possibly get in contact with agencies who do law apprenticeships and see if you can do some sort of 'taster'.
Reply 2
Original post by LokiL
Did you ever consider maybe doing a law apprenticeship? If it's not for you then you can always go to university and pursue philosophy instead. Maybe a degree apprenticeship in law will be more beneficial for you since it gives you hands on experience since the degree is dull and you come out of it with the same qualifications. You could even try to possibly get in contact with agencies who do law apprenticeships and see if you can do some sort of 'taster'.

Thanks for the reply! Although that sounds like a good idea I am really keen to go to university! But maybe I should try and do some work experience from now until I have to make the decision. I have done a week before and I enjoyed it and the environment but it was in a high street local practice so a lot less intense then city firms.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by eafphillips
Thanks for the reply! Although that sounds like a good idea I am really keen to go to university! But maybe I should try and do some work experience from now until I have to make the decision. I have done a week before and I enjoyed it and the environment but it was in a high street local practice so a lot less intense then city firms.

Please please tell me what you did! I'm in the EXACT SAME SITUATION

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending