The Student Room Group

Medicine abroad: commonly-attended schools

I am a North American student partnered with an Irishman, and we're looking at settling down in the EU. As my training has been in North America and I've taken the MCAT, I'm looking for good programs in Europe that will consider my credentials.

It looks like most, if not all, UK schools require the UKCAT or another UK-based exam.

Where do UK/Irish students study abroad--and then return to practice? Do most go to the Caribbean? Eastern Europe? Australia? Israel?

I'm just trying to work this out. Currently, I'm applying to US and Irish schools.

Any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by bc2m
I am a North American student partnered with an Irishman, and we're looking at settling down in the EU. As my training has been in North America and I've taken the MCAT, I'm looking for good programs in Europe that will consider my credentials.

It looks like most, if not all, UK schools require the UKCAT or another UK-based exam.

Where do UK/Irish students study abroad--and then return to practice? Do most go to the Caribbean? Eastern Europe? Australia? Israel?

I'm just trying to work this out. Currently, I'm applying to US and Irish schools.

Any advice?

Eastern Europe mainly. That being said, a tiny proportion of UK students go abroad to train. There is not really a whole 'Carib' IMG market like there is in the US. Most UK students train in the UK, period.

If you are looking to settle down in the EU, I would seriously consider either doing your training in Ireland and marrying this Irishman, so that you get citizenship.

Otherwise, do med school in the US, do residency, get board certified then get a CESR by the GMC (google it) in your specialty so you can work unrestricted in the UK as a consultant.
Reply 2
Original post by digitalis
Eastern Europe mainly. That being said, a tiny proportion of UK students go abroad to train. There is not really a whole 'Carib' IMG market like there is in the US. Most UK students train in the UK, period.

If you are looking to settle down in the EU, I would seriously consider either doing your training in Ireland and marrying this Irishman, so that you get citizenship.

Otherwise, do med school in the US, do residency, get board certified then get a CESR by the GMC (google it) in your specialty so you can work unrestricted in the UK as a consultant.

Thanks for the response and advice. From what I gather, my best options are to study in Ireland or the U.S.
Reply 3
Original post by digitalis

Is same-sex partnership legal in Ireland?

That aside, this is good advice.
Original post by Helenia
Is same-sex partnership legal in Ireland?

That aside, this is good advice.

Just civil partnerships are legal. In the Republic it only has similar rights to marriage as opposed to equal rights. I can't see same-sex marriage becoming a thing in Ireland anytime soon either

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending