The Student Room Group

Problems connecting to Eduroam

Hi

I'm a first year postgraduate at the University of Manchester, and have recently bought a laptop for attending conferences. It's a fairly basic refurbished laptop (an IBM Thinkpad T42 with XP professional), but it does the job. Anyway, I've been trying to connect to the Eduroam wireless network using the advice on our Universities website:

[INDENT]
How To: Set up an Eduroam wireless connection under Windows XP
Background:

Pre-requirements:

Before beginning this task, please ensure that your wireless adapter is enabled (see your user documentation), you are using Windows to manage your wireless connections and that the University's root certificate is installed.

Details:

Part A:

Before setting up Eduroam on your PC, you will need to install the University's CA Eduroam certificate. You will already need to be connected to the internet when performing this procedure, but you will only need to do this once.

We recommend you use Internet Explorer for this initial section, as using other browsers such as Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome or Opera will bring up different messages.

1. Browse to https://login.manchester.ac.uk/eduroam/cacert-2010.der. Click the Open button. (you may be required to log in first)
NOTE: If the Open button is greyed out, save the file to disk and double-click.
Inline Image
2. This will bring up the following screen. Click the Install Certificate button.
Inline Image
3. This will bring up the Certificate Import Wizard. Click the Next button.
Inline Image
4. Select the Place all certificates in the following store option and click the Browse button.
Inline Image
5. Select Trusted Root Certification Authorities and press OK.
Inline Image
6. Click Next.
Inline Image
7. Click Finish.
Inline Image
8. Click Yes.
Inline Image
9. Click OK.
Inline Image
10. Click OK to close the window.
Inline Image

Part B

1. Click on the Windows Start button and select Control Panel.
Inline Image
2. Make sure Control Panel is displayed in the Category view (as below) and click on Network and Internet Connections.
Inline Image
3. Click on the Network Connections link in the Control Panel icon section.
Inline Image
4. In the Network and Internet Connections window, highlight Wireless Network Connection and click on the View available wireless networks link.
Inline Image
5. Click on the Change the order of preferred networks link.
Inline Image
6. Click on the Add button in the Wireless Network Connection Properties window.
Inline Image
7. Complete the Wireless network properties as shown below and select the Authentication tab.
Inline Image
8. Change the EAP type to Protected EAP (PEAP) and ensure that Authenticate as computer is unchecked. Click the Properties button.
Inline Image
9. Make sure that the Protected EAP Properties screen matches the one below selecting IT Services as the trusted root certification authority and click the Configure button.
Inline Image
10. Ensure that the box in the EAP MSCHAPv2 Properties window is unchecked. Click the OK button.
Inline Image
11. Click the OK button until you are back to the Wireless Network Connection Properties window where eduroam should have been added. Click the OK button.
Inline Image
12. Click on the wireless symbol in the system tray (there may also be a balloon asking you to select a certificate or other credentials).
Inline Image
13. If it appears, close the Wireless Network Connection Status window.
Inline Image
14. Enter your details in the format shown in the note below and click the OK button.
Inline Image
NOTE: The domain is always @manchester.ac.uk. Do not use your email domain.
15. The Wireless Network Connection should then be shown as Connected.
Inline Image

Checklist

1. Is the wireless connector switched on?

2. Are your wireless connections managed by Windows?

3. Is the University’s CA root certificate installed? (Networks Root CA)

4. Are the connection details correct?

5. Are the Network Properties correct?
NOTE: Check the step 8 of the setup process.

6. Are the Protected EAP properties correct?
NOTE: Check the step 9 of the setup process.

7. Has the automatically use Windows credentials option been disabled?

8. Has the authentification mode been set to user?

9. Are you entering your details correctly?

NOTE: The most likely causes of failure are 1, 2, 7, and 9

[/INDENT]

but when I get to step 13 of part B I do not get a popup box to log in with. The signal strength for the Eduroam network is excellent, but I cannot connect as it keeps saying "the network did not assign a network address to your computer". I have contacted the IT department in Manchester, but after a brief exchange of e-mails, they suggested looking on the web!

If anybody has any ideas as to what the problem might be, it would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
While I was working at the University of Leeds Eduroam caused loads of problems! I don't have the answer, I could probably connect it myself if it was in front of me but that's not possible lol

I can't believe the IT guys told you to look on the web! Go back to the IT department and request more help, they support the network so they have to support you in connecting to it.
Reply 2
Original post by iTech Live
While I was working at the University of Leeds Eduroam caused loads of problems! I don't have the answer, I could probably connect it myself if it was in front of me but that's not possible lol

I can't believe the IT guys told you to look on the web! Go back to the IT department and request more help, they support the network so they have to support you in connecting to it.

Sorry, I forgot to post an update on here. In the end Eduroam does work some of the time, and when it doesn't, I've got the laptop set up so that the university's wireless connection kicks in. Thanks for letting me know though about the shortfalls in Eduroam in general.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending