The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

How opportunistic is Durham University?

I'm choosing my university for entry 2024, and I have recently received an offer from Durham. I'm seriously considering attending, but one of the only reasons is the fact that it is a lot more prestigious than my other options (Southampton, Birmingham & Newcastle), so I was just wondering, in terms of world connections, employability and reputation, is it worth going to Durham (my only issues are I am not a big fan of the tory culture there haha an how expensive the cost of living is)?
Have you visited all of your choices?

You should have the option to visit them all this spring - that’s the best way to get an understanding of whether you will thrive somewhere. I wouldn’t say Durham is particularly better than any of your other choices for most subjects.

The problems with private accommodation in Durham made national news this year
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Laura13101995
I'm choosing my university for entry 2024, and I have recently received an offer from Durham. I'm seriously considering attending, but one of the only reasons is the fact that it is a lot more prestigious than my other options (Southampton, Birmingham & Newcastle), so I was just wondering, in terms of world connections, employability and reputation, is it worth going to Durham (my only issues are I am not a big fan of the tory culture there haha an how expensive the cost of living is)?

Hiya,

There are a lot of opportunities available at Durham, and if you're particularly interested in connections and employability. We have a very active alumni community at Durham, and there are a range of events where you can connect with alumni nationally and internationally as well. Durham does offer a range of different employability opportunities such as placements, international internships, international volunteering programs, etc. Also, the University offers part-time and full-time employments. If you're still unsure about Durham, perhaps coming for a visit during open day or any other day and speaking to some of the students and staff may help.
Open Days and Visits - Durham University

Alternatively, you can chat with student on UniBuddy.
Unibuddy Chat with a student from Durham University - Durham University

If you'd like to see more on what it's like being at Durham, and the student life, you can also visit The Durham Student page to read some of the student blogs, and watch any student content.
The Durham Student

Best 🙂
-Ghala

Quick Reply

Latest