The Student Room Group

I can add to my degree title next year, but could it actually make it worse?

Hi, i'm studying mechanical engineering. If I pick certain modules next year in my 4th year, I can come out with a degree called "Mechanical Engineering with Sustainability"
The only problem is, I was thinking that in the eyes of some employers, it could be seen as worse. The reason being, if I end up applying for a job completely unrelated to sustainability issues...
I'm like most students, and am still not 100% sure what I want to do in the future, but I'm pretty sure I would enjoy working with sustainability issues if possible.
Would would you do?
Reply 1
It depends on many factors, like what kind of job you apply, what company, where, how you sell it on your cover letter/interview etc..
Best thing IMO is to research the company your applying to and if they seem like a type of company that wishes to sustain, put that in your degree title. You should always have multiple resumes anyway and send ones which match the job you want.
Thanks for the response. I appreciate that I'll have to change how I apply to different companies. The problem is, I have to decide my modules by tonight. Ideally I would spend a lot of time this summer deciding which companies to apply for, but my university wants choices given in today.
I guess sticking with mechanical engineering give me more choice in the future. At the same time, I will just be another Mech engineering, whereas adding sustainability to my title might allow me to stand out from the crowd?
Any thoughts? cheers
Reply 3
I actually disagree, I think having 'sustainability' in your title would be a good thing. Though I'm not in the engineering field, I think that companies would be moving interested in towards a more sustainable way of operating and to be more more environmentally friendly. I would think that your uni has set up measures to be more sustainable and considering the deteriorating state of the environment and the reduced resources we have, it would not be surprising for companies to shift to greener routes.

As to your concern about not working in the sustainability field, you must be able to explain to your employers why you chose the 'with sustainability' title. If you can't explain why, or if you're not interested in sustainability, easy, forget it.

The way I look at it, its like an extra title, its not 'in sustainability', just 'with sustainability', like its optional or an extra so you have the choice to apply it or not. Look at it almost like your minor, graduates don't always have a job description that matches their minor (or their major, with that said).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by French&Hench
Hi, i'm studying mechanical engineering. If I pick certain modules next year in my 4th year, I can come out with a degree called "Mechanical Engineering with Sustainability"
The only problem is, I was thinking that in the eyes of some employers, it could be seen as worse. The reason being, if I end up applying for a job completely unrelated to sustainability issues...
I'm like most students, and am still not 100% sure what I want to do in the future, but I'm pretty sure I would enjoy working with sustainability issues if possible.
Would would you do?

It really doesn't matter, many students graduate with things like that tacked onto the end and have no problems.
Reply 5
I don't think it'll make any difference either way. If you're applying to a company dealing with sustainability you highlight the relevant modules in your CV and covering letter, and other companies probably won't much care what your certificate says anyway (not to mention there's huge variation in mech eng degrees anyway, even within the same institution).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending