The Student Room Group

random nose bleed

my nose started bleeding A LOT recently and i had to visit the hospital thing is though i don't know why it is happening any ideas ???
Reply 1
Original post by Padwas
my nose started bleeding A LOT recently and i had to visit the hospital thing is though i don't know why it is happening any ideas ???

I assume they did a few blood tests at the hospital..? If they were normal then it could be something like von Willebrands disease (quite common, and not something to worry about usually), or just 'one of those things'. Some people just get them more - especially people who pick their noses, so if you do that.......
Because its winter and the dry indoor air can scratch inside your nose
Reply 3
Could be due to the weather, I suffer badly twice a year: once in early winter for a week and in about July for a week. Apparently air pressure can cause them if you have weak blood vessels in your nose, that's what a doctor told me years ago anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
not sure i spent last night at hospital they said its stress and sleep related :frown:
Reply 5
I was having nosebleeds as well and had to go to a&e as it wouldn't stop. Had bloods done and a coagulation screen and all was normal. It's all due to the weather and humidity and if your nose is dry, the mucus is not present so your tiny blood vessels burst inside the nose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by paula92xo
I was having nosebleeds as well and had to go to a&e as it wouldn't stop. Had bloods done and a coagulation screen and all was normal. It's all due to the weather and humidity and if your nose is dry, the mucus is not present so your tiny blood vessels burst inside the nose.

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow i never knew that so i am guessing Vaseline would help prevent them right
Reply 7
Original post by Padwas

I wouldn't put vaseline inside cos you can dislodge the bleeding point and you can potentially have a nose bleed again. Just leave it - do NOT blow or pick your nose - even to itch it or get that irritating boogie out. If you need to sneeze, sneeze out of your mouth only. Take showers and breathe in the shower moisture to lubricate inside your nose. Worked perfectly for me and my nose didn't feel as scratchy or sore. I am telling you not to sneeze out of your nose because I did that a day after I had a nose bleed and blood went everywhere and saw a clot that stopped the bleeding the previous day - so it obviously got dislodged from sneezing and made my nose bleed again (graphic detail, but just pre-warning you lol)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Padwas
not sure i spent last night at hospital they said its stress and sleep related :frown:

Sleep related?
Reply 9
Original post by IqraHaq
Sleep related?

it was a week ago ( Olympiad ) not for the reasons you think :wink:
Original post by Padwas

I went through a random period where I had quite a few nose bleeds randomly and then it just went again. Blood pressure was fine although I was told it was probably stress/lack of sleep related.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Used to have this when I was a kid, nearly died twice.

Not that I'm trying to scare you XD You'll live.
Reply 12
Original post by will2348
I went through a random period where I had quite a few nose bleeds randomly and then it just went again. Blood pressure was fine although I was told it was probably stress/lack of sleep related.

Posted from TSR Mobile

exactly what the doctor told me
Reply 13
Original post by Padwas
it was a week ago ( Olympiad ) not for the reasons you think :wink:

Ah right that's okay then lol :tongue:
Original post by Padwas

Yes, vaseline works great if your nose bleeds are caused by dry air.

I used to get nosebleeds a lot particularly in winter and since using vaseline twice a day I've had hardly any. Make sure your nails are short though! :tongue:
Reply 15
Original post by IqraHaq
Ah right that's okay then lol :tongue:

:wink:

Original post by Sabertooth
Yes, vaseline works great if your nose bleeds are caused by dry air.

I used to get nosebleeds a lot particularly in winter and since using vaseline twice a day I've had hardly any. Make sure your nails are short though! :tongue:

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest