The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Neither. Both sides have done terrible things and both sides are being steered by a radical minority, hiding the silent majority that just want peace.
you know what I think? I think it's a bit BS that israel even exists :lol: and I am completely against both judaism and islam - creating a country (effectively replacing another country) because of a religion (as a way of claiming group victimisation) is disastrous - and it really shows based on its history - israel is completely in the wrong part of the world anyway, they should have just accepted that europe and america were more suited for them, opposed to bang-smack in the middle east. also, I also think that jewish people claiming "racism" for people being against israel is them using the tactics of modern day muslims where if you're not in favour of a religion you're "racist" - but jewish people have actually invented the claim that their religion *is* a race so that's really stepping over the line of the game of political correctness :lol: the next time someone tells me I'm wrong I'll try that excuse out and claim that the shape of my nose constitutes a race. so yeah, the creation of israel was always going to be the global version of sturring up a hornet's nest...and again, what have they got under their belts? constant struggle and several wars

(although I don't think they're being "nazis", although their policy of where only jews can live in israel is a bit...hmm, racist?)
(edited 10 years ago)

In fairness, I'd presume these are last case measures to prevent acts of terrorism like the ones Israel experienced in the 70s/80s.

That's not to say that Israel demolishing Palestinian villages and replacing them with settlements is anything other than ethnic cleansing, mind.
Original post by Sunny_Smiles
you know what I think? I think it's a bit BS that israel even exists :lol: and I am completely against both judaism and islam - creating a country (effectively replacing another country) because of a religion (as a way of claiming group victimisation) is disastrous - and it really shows based on its history - israel is completely in the wrong part of the world anyway, they should have just accepted that europe and america were more suited for them, opposed to bang-smack in the middle east. also, I also think that jewish people claiming "racism" for people being against israel is them using the tactics of modern day muslims where if you're not in favour of a religion you're "racist" - but jewish people have actually invented the claim that their religion *is* a race so that's really stepping over the line of the game of political correctness :lol: the next time someone tells me I'm wrong I'll try that excuse out and claim that the shape of my nose constitutes a race. so yeah, the creation of israel was always going to be the global version of sturring up a hornet's nest...and again, what have they got under their belts? constant struggle and several wars

If the year were 1948, I would agree with you and say Israel should be set up in some North-western corner of the United States, perhaps, or better yet, Germany.

But this is the real world, and despite the above, Israel needs defending because its enemies are theocrats and tyrants, whereas, in comparison Israel is a free country.
Original post by felamaslen
If the year were 1948, I would agree with you and say Israel should be set up in some North-western corner of the United States, perhaps, or better yet, Germany.

But this is the real world, and despite the above, Israel needs defending because its enemies are theocrats and tyrants, whereas, in comparison Israel is a free country.

you're right about the fact that israel is part of the free world but I don't necessarily think that causes them to deserve help - a country born out of western intervention doesn't make it special in my opinon; we shouldn't be playing the world police, and these affairs really shouldn't involve us but rather the israelis...besides, israel has "big brother america" on their side so if those mean kids in the middle east want to have a go at them you can count on america to "save the day" simply by making threats :lol: and of course "mother russia" and "daddy china" will be there to moderate conflict when it arises with diplomacy (aka more threats)
you're right about the fact that israel is part of the free world but I don't necessarily think that causes them to deserve help - a country born out of western intervention doesn't make it special in my opinon; we shouldn't be playing the world police, and these affairs really shouldn't involve us but rather the israelis...besides, israel has "big brother america" on their side so if those mean kids in the middle east want to have a go at them you can count on america to "save the day" simply by making threats :lol: and of course "mother russia" and "daddy china" will be there to moderate conflict when it arises with diplomacy (aka more threats)

Oh, I wasn't arguing for the UK to intervene in the Israeli conflict, lol.

Seriously? You post a picture of a remote-control water cannon, and used it to make a morally and intellectually offensive Nazi accusation?

Because barging your way into an area of the world and claiming it is yours, and then taking more and more, is something a free country would do, not theocrats and tyrants. :rolleyes:

WATCH THIS!!

I have so much respect for this guy now...a-maaazing ♥♡♥♡♥

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TSRuserrr9
WATCH THIS!!

I have so much respect for this guy now...a-maaazing ♥♡♥♡♥

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOOL please:ahee::colondollar:, it just saddens when people just see one side of the story.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Dragonborn
Because barging your way into an area of the world and claiming it is yours, and then taking more and more, is something a free country would do, not theocrats and tyrants. :rolleyes:

How ironic, claiming that Israel is the one which barges its way in, when in reality it was Egypt, Syria, Jordan and Iraq which barged their way into the tiny state of Israel, not only in 1948 but also in 1967 and again in 1973, with the intention (no doubt) of destroying it. In fact it is these unjustified wars which gained Israel the territory that you speak of. Whatever crimes Israel has committed are eclipsed by the fact that Israel is a free society and its opponents are not. Surely you must agree that this is by far the most important thing?

I suspect you don't really know what a theocracy or a tyranny really is.
How ironic, claiming that Israel is the one which barges its way in, when in reality it was Egypt, Syria, Jordan and Iraq which barged their way into the tiny state of Israel, not only in 1948 but also in 1967 and again in 1973, with the intention (no doubt) of destroying it.

Tell me what you would do if someone barged into your land first and just claimed "this is ours".

In fact it is these unjustified wars which gained Israel the territory that you speak of. Whatever crimes Israel has committed are eclipsed by the fact that Israel is a free society and its opponents are not. Surely you must agree that this is by far the most important thing?

I suspect you don't really know what a theocracy or a tyranny really is.

I'm sorry, the sort of **** that is happening in that part of the world is not justified by anything! Free society or not, they seemed perfectly happy there before Israel came down and screwed things up for them. Western democracy, "free country" - these are our standards, not necessarily theirs. Why should we have to enforce it upon them, or Israel?

And if you think they are doing it to create a free society in that area, I think you are wrong.
Tell me what you would do if someone barged into your land first and just claimed "this is ours".

It wasn't just Israel though. None of the countries which exist now existed before the British and French mandates. For example, before 1967 the West Bank was under Jordanian control. Jordan was a British protectorate.

The fact is, if you value human rights at all you value Israel.

I'm sorry, the sort of **** that is happening in that part of the world is not justified by anything! Free society or not, they seemed perfectly happy there before Israel came down and screwed things up for them. Western democracy, "free country" - these are our standards, not necessarily theirs. Why should we have to enforce it upon them, or Israel?

And if you think they are doing it to create a free society in that area, I think you are wrong.

You can spit on free societies if you want, but you lose all credibility by doing so. The reason freedom must be enforced is because freedom is superior to tyranny. The reason it must be protected is because it has enemies.

If you think the Ottoman empire was all fine and dandy, please note that they killed 1.5 million innocent Armenians in death marches across the Syrian desert.
It wasn't just Israel though. None of the countries which exist now existed before the British and French mandates. For example, before 1967 the West Bank was under Jordanian control. Jordan was a British protectorate.

The fact is, if you value human rights at all you value Israel.

Yes, but then how can you advocate what Israel actually is doing in that area?

You can spit on free societies if you want, but you lose all credibility by doing so. The reason freedom must be enforced is because freedom is superior to tyranny. The reason it must be protected is because it has enemies.

If you think the Ottoman empire was all fine and dandy, please note that they killed 1.5 million innocent Armenians in death marches across the Syrian desert.

I'm not spitting on free societies - I'm just saying that that part of the world does not have the same standards as the West does (barring Israel) but that doesn't mean that we/Israel have to go around pushing that agenda onto them.

Again yes, what the Ottomans did was disgusting, but that doesn't mean we or Israel have to charge in there and tell them "you must run your countries like the West or we'll blow y'all up."

And I don't even think Israel is stirring and pushing into surrounding territories to spread this agenda.

(although I don't think they're being "nazis", although their policy of where only jews can live in israel is a bit...hmm, racist?)

That bit in bold is not true. Nobody is claiming that the religion Judaism is a race. There is a Jewish race though: Jewish people (non-converts) have distinctive DNA and their ancestry can be traced back to specific groups, probably due to historically almost exclusively only marrying other Jews creating a closed gene pool. Hence atheist Jewish people exist. People can convert to Judaism though so it is also possible to be a Jew in the religious sense but not in the ethnic sense.

Someone please correct me if any of that is incorrect.
Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH
That bit in bold is not true. Nobody is claiming that the religion Judaism is a race. There is a Jewish race though: Jewish people (non-converts) have distinctive DNA and their ancestry can be traced back to specific groups, probably due to historically almost exclusively only marrying other Jews creating a closed gene pool. Hence atheist Jewish people exist. People can convert to Judaism though so it is also possible to be a Jew in the religious sense but not in the ethnic sense.

Someone please correct me if any of that is incorrect.

oh no I was suggesting that people (or at least certain jewish individuals) tend to mix and blend the religion of judaism and the "race" of judaism; I consider "jewish" somewhat of an ethnicity in the same way I might consider "roman" an ethnicity, but I wouldn't for example, go so far as to say it is a "race"
Yes, but then how can you advocate what Israel actually is doing in that area?

I think I've said before that I don't condone everything that Israel does. I don't doubt that it has committed crimes. But neither do I condone everything the UK did in WWII. That doesn't mean that overall I support the Germans in that war.

I'm not spitting on free societies - I'm just saying that that part of the world does not have the same standards as the West does (barring Israel) but that doesn't mean that we/Israel have to go around pushing that agenda onto them.

Again yes, what the Ottomans did was disgusting, but that doesn't mean we or Israel have to charge in there and tell them "you must run your countries like the West or we'll blow y'all up."

And I don't even think Israel is stirring and pushing into surrounding territories to spread this agenda.

I agree with you that middle eastern societies do not believe in the enlightenment. That is why I support Israel. Middle eastern societies must be made to support enlightenment values of freedom and democracy. Those values did not come out of thin air and they did not always exist. England used to be just as bad as Saudi Arabia is today. Culture is not static; it has to change.

Israel is not "pushing into surrounding territories". It gave up the entire Gaza strip in 2005, which was of course a mistake because the local population elected Islamists to run it, and now they are of course at war, because Islamists want to remove Israel and replace it with the kind of society which now exists in the Gaza strip, where there is no religious or political freedom. Although I do concede that what Israel is doing in the West Bank is unjust; it should draw a line there. I would in principle support the two-state solution, but not if it involved a Palestinian state run by Islamists. Heck, I would prefer an Israeli occupation of the entire place to that.
I think I've said before that I don't condone everything that Israel does. I don't doubt that it has committed crimes. But neither do I condone everything the UK did in WWII. That doesn't mean that overall I support the Germans in that war.

My bad, I don't think I'd seen you say this anywhere else on the thread. Agreed.

I agree with you that middle eastern societies do not believe in the enlightenment. That is why I support Israel. Middle eastern societies must be made to support enlightenment values of freedom and democracy. Those values did not come out of thin air and they did not always exist. England used to be just as bad as Saudi Arabia is today. Culture is not static; it has to change.

Well, we shouldn't be forcing it upon them, and neither should Israel. It should just be up to them. The only thing we are doing by trying to force ourselves upon them, is killing more innocent people.

Although I do concede that what Israel is doing in the West Bank is unjust; it should draw a line there. I would in principle support the two-state solution

Agreed.

Latest

Trending

Trending