The Student Room Group

Kicked out of Uni - help please?

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
It's a tough one. Not something I've been through and I understand why you're anxious about the money. But equally, is there any point forcing yourself to complete a course which maybe wasn't for you anyway. I've struggled with mental health issues in the past too. I considered taking a gap year to take a breather and assess my options, but decided against it because I knew I'd end up really lonely and depressed. So if you are going to change route, try and make as clear a plan as possible because if you're anything like me, you'll end up off course soon enough.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but talk to as many people as you can that you really trust. I'm really rubbish at talking about my problems because I'm so insecure (which is why I end up posting on here, let's be honest). Like you say, you're not academically incapable, you still have options. I think sometimes being intelligent enough to have a lot of options can make it hard to feel that you've ever settled for the right thing. Do some research into other options (working, apprenticeship). Sadly, it doesn't look good if you drop out, so you need to try stick at uni, I'd say.

Go for the appeal, so that you're fully aware of your options- especially try and make them hear you out with regards to the problems you've had this year. Good luck
Reply 2
Original post by RKD123
It's a tough one. Not something I've been through and I understand why you're anxious about the money. But equally, is there any point forcing yourself to complete a course which maybe wasn't for you anyway. I've struggled with mental health issues in the past too. I considered taking a gap year to take a breather and assess my options, but decided against it because I knew I'd end up really lonely and depressed. So if you are going to change route, try and make as clear a plan as possible because if you're anything like me, you'll end up off course soon enough.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but talk to as many people as you can that you really trust. I'm really rubbish at talking about my problems because I'm so insecure (which is why I end up posting on here, let's be honest). Like you say, you're not academically incapable, you still have options. I think sometimes being intelligent enough to have a lot of options can make it hard to feel that you've ever settled for the right thing. Do some research into other options (working, apprenticeship). Sadly, it doesn't look good if you drop out, so you need to try stick at uni, I'd say.

Go for the appeal, so that you're fully aware of your options- especially try and make them hear you out with regards to the problems you've had this year. Good luck

Thank you. My course is basically a requisite for the career I want to go into. I am also going to appeal.
Reply 3
Hi; I've not been in the exact same situation but a similar one - I started uni in 2010, mental health difficulties made my first and second year quite shaky to the point that in third year I essentially 'dropped out' but appealed to have my degree time extended - after a couple of years the university essentially said I'd taken too long to finish and was kicking me out - I had to write an appeal to the university chair and they agreed that I should be allowed more time - I've just found out today that I graduated with a 2:1 in law :smile: after 7 years of uncertainty and difficulty.

So I would recommend you find out how to contact student services or the exam board at your university with proof that you informed them of your mental health difficulties prior and ask to appeal - I did this and it worked. [only if you don't want to switch unis or courses obviously!]

All the best!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Afroaway
Hi; I've not been in the exact same situation but a similar one - I started uni in 2010, mental health difficulties made my first and second year quite shaky to the point that in third year I essentially 'dropped out' but appealed to have my degree time extended - after a couple of years the university essentially said I'd taken too long to finish and was kicking me out - I had to write an appeal to the university chair and they agreed that I should be allowed more time - I've just found out today that I graduated with a 2:1 in law :smile: after 7 years of uncertainty and difficulty.

So I would recommend you find out how to contact student services or the exam board at your university with proof that you informed them of your mental health difficulties prior and ask to appeal - I did this and it worked. [only if you don't want to switch unis or courses obviously!]

All the best!

Thank you. I'm sorry you had to go through all that and glad it worked out, in the end.
Reply 5
Original post by James1997c
Thank you. I'm sorry you had to go through all that and glad it worked out, in the end.

Thanks mate! I hope it works out for you too, whichever decision you choose to make. :smile:
.They really should have taken your health into consideration. I would urge you to appeal
Hmm, I would urge you to appeal if you want to go back based on the mental-health/period of illness grounds. And I would suggest getting evidence as well to back your case up. Anything you have from doctors/consultants/therapists/your university welfare team that explains the situation you have been, and your mental-health was detrimental to your studies.

If you don't, then you could apply for somewhere else. Either this year, or take a year out and find somewhere that you would like. You may be able to get an extra year of student finance for "Compelling Personal Reasons" if you can prove the failure at this uni was due to illness (again, get evidence).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending