The Student Room Group

SOAS / London unis

Hi guys,
I am looking to apply for foundation years in the finance / economics field. I was previously set on applying to Birkbeck and fell in love with the area surrounding it, but due to a major change of circumstances I don’t think Birkbeck is right for me anymore.
However, I still really want to apply to unis in London. My problem is the fact I want to do a foundation course and my grades are definitely not good enough for anywhere I would ideally want to apply like Kings or LSE. 😭😭😭
I was planning on applying to SOAS foundation year and then progressing onto their Economics course but I also don’t think SOAS is right for me. 🫣 I have also seen a lot of slander about them recently
Can you guys help me weigh out my options? I would want to apply to city but my grades are probably going to be about BCD.
Resitting is not an option for me as to cut it short I am getting kicked out when I finish this school year.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by vsepr902
Hi guys,
I am looking to apply for foundation years in the finance / economics field. I was previously set on applying to Birkbeck and fell in love with the area surrounding it, but due to a major change of circumstances I don’t think Birkbeck is right for me anymore.
However, I still really want to apply to unis in London. My problem is the fact I want to do a foundation course and my grades are definitely not good enough for anywhere I would ideally want to apply like Kings or LSE. 😭😭😭
I was planning on applying to SOAS foundation year and then progressing onto their Economics course but I also don’t think SOAS is right for me. 🫣 I have also seen a lot of slander about them recently
Can you guys help me weigh out my options? I would want to apply to city but my grades are probably going to be about BCD.
Resitting is not an option for me as to cut it short I am getting kicked out when I finish this school year.

I'd suggest that you don't apply anywhere that you feel that it isn't for you. And while I think it's alright to want to study in London, I'd suggest you look at a couple of universities outside of London too, you might find that you like other places too!

You haven't sat A levels yet, so you have plenty of time to work on getting better grades. And if you don't... I have no clue what you're talking about when you mean you're getting kicked out when you finish the school year... yes, you finish school, you cease to be a student there, that happens to everyone! Most schools tend to be nice to former students though and will allow you to resit your exams there and if not, you can always resit your A levels privately. But again, I think you have enough time for this to not be a problem if you put in the effort.

Hope this is helpful and good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard

I'd suggest that you don't apply anywhere that you feel that it isn't for you. And while I think it's alright to want to study in London, I'd suggest you look at a couple of universities outside of London too, you might find that you like other places too!

You haven't sat A levels yet, so you have plenty of time to work on getting better grades. And if you don't... I have no clue what you're talking about when you mean you're getting kicked out when you finish the school year... yes, you finish school, you cease to be a student there, that happens to everyone! Most schools tend to be nice to former students though and will allow you to resit your exams there and if not, you can always resit your A levels privately. But again, I think you have enough time for this to not be a problem if you put in the effort.

Hope this is helpful and good luck! :smile:

Thank you! I have been looking at unis outside of london, I think 4 out of 5 of my choices are going to be be outside of London. In terms of getting kicked out I mean I will not have anywhere to live if I wanted to resit A Levels, I’m gonna be moving into student (uni) accommodation as soon as I can
Original post by vsepr902
Thank you! I have been looking at unis outside of london, I think 4 out of 5 of my choices are going to be be outside of London. In terms of getting kicked out I mean I will not have anywhere to live if I wanted to resit A Levels, I’m gonna be moving into student (uni) accommodation as soon as I can

Do you mind me asking you, what do you mean you won't have anywhere to live?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending