The Student Room Group

Amitriptyline and Alcohol

TSR, please hit me with your experiences and advice =]

I know the info sheet that comes with amitriptyline says to avoid alcohol. Some Googling suggests that it's best to avoid alcohol for a few weeks after starting taking it, and that drinking while I'm on amitriptyline could make me sleepy and uncoordinated.
This concerns me slightly because I have a tendency to get quite sleepy after relatively few drinks anyway.
I'm currently taking 10mg/day. It's not for depression, 'tis for other fun stuffs. If it's relevant, I can estimate my height/weight for you.

Thankye :biggrin:
Oh i take that, not for depression just for my migraines. Not that there would be anything wrong if it was for depression anyway
I take 20mg though and tbh it makes me reaaaaaally tired and my emotions are really sensitive.
I wouldnt worry about it if you drink while on it though because ive been extremelyintoxicated a few times while on it but its not a regulare occurence so it hasnt really affected me
i'm not sure what you're asking from this thread but there yougo(:
laurenl93
Oh i take that, not for depression just for my migraines. Not that there would be anything wrong if it was for depression anyway
I take 20mg though and tbh it makes me reaaaaaally tired and my emotions are really sensitive.
I wouldnt worry about it if you drink while on it though because ive been extremelyintoxicated a few times while on it but its not a regulare occurence so it hasnt really affected me
i'm not sure what you're asking from this thread but there yougo(:

That's exactly the kind of thing I was wanting to hear, thank you :biggrin:
I'm mostly just cautious about the situation in case it's the kind of thing that's likely to end badly... *waits to see what other people have to say* :smile:
I took it for pain relief, 10mg every other day. It knocked me out anyway, but when I had a drink I'd be asleep in my chair. That was on the days where I was taking it. On the alternate days I would just get really sleepy, but not actually just fall alseep.

I hated amitriptyline though...
Reply 4
ImperceptibleNinja
TSR, please hit me with your experiences and advice =]

I know the info sheet that comes with amitriptyline says to avoid alcohol. Some Googling suggests that it's best to avoid alcohol for a few weeks after starting taking it, and that drinking while I'm on amitriptyline could make me sleepy and uncoordinated.
This concerns me slightly because I have a tendency to get quite sleepy after relatively few drinks anyway.
I'm currently taking 10mg/day. It's not for depression, 'tis for other fun stuffs. If it's relevant, I can estimate my height/weight for you.

Thankye :biggrin:

Ami is a tricyclic antidepressant, of which the side effects can make you drowsy and sleepy naturally, which can be exacerbated by alcohol which is a CNS depressant. Also, it is metabolised by the P450 enzyme system in the liver so if you are a serious boozer, the effectiveness may fall of the amitrip.
digitalis
Ami is a tricyclic antidepressant, of which the side effects can make you drowsy and sleepy naturally, which can be exacerbated by alcohol which is a CNS depressant. Also, it is metabolised by the P450 enzyme system in the liver so if you are a serious boozer, the effectiveness may fall of the amitrip.

:eek3: I am slightly intimidated by the amount of intense-sounding science in such a small space :wink: But seriously, that was useful to hear, thank you. I don't drink very much normally, so I think I'll reintroduce alcohol very carefully and slowly, and I'll post how things go after a while.

Thank you for all the replies so far. I'm still interested to hear anyone else's experiences/advice =]
Reply 6
ImperceptibleNinja
:eek3: I am slightly intimidated by the amount of intense-sounding science in such a small space :wink: But seriously, that was useful to hear, thank you. I don't drink very much normally, so I think I'll reintroduce alcohol very carefully and slowly, and I'll post how things go after a while.

Thank you for all the replies so far. I'm still interested to hear anyone else's experiences/advice =]

Probably sensible :smile:
So, I see that these posts are from quite awhile ago now, but just incase anyone else is looking into amitriptyline and alcohol and stumble upon this thread.. I wanted to share my reaction. Im currently on 20mg of amitriptyline for migraines. I was taking 10mg for 2 weeks, and sized up to 20mg starting about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Now, I've had a glass of wine here and there while taking this and had no adverse effects. However, amitriptyline does not make me tired. In fact my Dr had me switch from taking it before bed, to taking it first thing when I wake up on the morning. Yesterday was a very stressful day, as I spent it with my mother.. so when a good friend of mine asked me if I'd like to go for a drink, I quickly agreed. I consumed 3 1/2 lemon drops (basically just lemon vodka) in roughly 2 hours. I got up and went to the bathroom, barely feeling drunk at that point. And then woke up in the hospital. I had lost consciousness, hit my head, presumably had a seizure, and vomited profusely. All of which prompted a call to paramedics and a stay in the hospital. My blood alcohol level wasn't even high enough to be considered legally drunk. But I was completely out of it, I hardly remember anything between heading to the bathroom and waking up in the ER. So to anyone at all who just might be trying to read up on mixing amitriptyline and alcohol, I am here to warn you, please please.. do not. And if you do, make sure you have a friend with that you trust and that knows about your medication. Godspeed.

Quick Reply

Latest