The Student Room Group

How much of a chance do I realistically have?

Last year (AS Levels) I didn't do as well as I had hoped and I ended up with BCCE. At first this was heartbreaking as I was predicted AAAB but I got over it. I dropped the E, and retook 1 paper in each of the other 3 subjects. I got one of the papers where I got a C overall (I originally got a D that paper) up to 100%, which I'm really happy about as it means I only need two low Cs this summer to get an A. I retook another paper in the other C and got it up to a B overall. I retook a paper in the B and it didn't do up, it actually went down five marks giving me a D in that paper. So at the moment, I have ABB.

I'm hoping to get an A* this summer in the one where I got 100, although I don't want to jump the gun too much. However I'm not sure if I can get the other two Bs up to As at all.

I'm taking a gap year, so I can always retake in January but I want to go travelling so that would interfere and i don't really want to do that.

How would universities perceive A*BB? For some reason I feel as though I would prefer AAB rather than this, I'm not sure why. Is the A* really that well credited?

How much of a chance do I have of getting at least one of the Bs up? In one of the subjects I got A-C in the two papers and in the other one I got B-B. I'm retaking the C again in summer but for some reason I can't get my head around it and find it ridiculously hard so I don't know if it will go up...
You're overthinking things and worrying too much. The only answer we can give you is that all you can do is work hard and try your best - whether that will get you the grades you want, you nor I can know - but if you try your best then whatever you get you should be proud of. There's no use in worrying - use the energy that you spend worrying on working hard. Good luck :smile:.
Reply 2
Original post by tsveta
Last year (AS Levels) I didn't do as well as I had hoped and I ended up with BCCE. At first this was heartbreaking as I was predicted AAAB but I got over it. I dropped the E, and retook 1 paper in each of the other 3 subjects. I got one of the papers where I got a C overall (I originally got a D that paper) up to 100%, which I'm really happy about as it means I only need two low Cs this summer to get an A. I retook another paper in the other C and got it up to a B overall. I retook a paper in the B and it didn't do up, it actually went down five marks giving me a D in that paper. So at the moment, I have ABB.

I'm hoping to get an A* this summer in the one where I got 100, although I don't want to jump the gun too much. However I'm not sure if I can get the other two Bs up to As at all.

I'm taking a gap year, so I can always retake in January but I want to go travelling so that would interfere and i don't really want to do that.

How would universities perceive A*BB? For some reason I feel as though I would prefer AAB rather than this, I'm not sure why. Is the A* really that well credited?

How much of a chance do I have of getting at least one of the Bs up? In one of the subjects I got A-C in the two papers and in the other one I got B-B. I'm retaking the C again in summer but for some reason I can't get my head around it and find it ridiculously hard so I don't know if it will go up...

In terms of the A* bit, if the A* is in your subject you probably have quite a good chance of being accepted, it is looked on favourably.
Reply 3
I know lots of universities with AAB requirements accept A*BB. When I received an offer for Bristol, the conditions were AAB or equivalent from 3 A-levels (I suppose that could even mean A*A*C ?). So I wouldn't worry too much, you'll still be able to get into a good university - in fact a lot of good,universities only require ABB anyway. At the end of the day though, nobody can really tell what your final grades will be, so just work as hard as you can and and where it takes you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending