The Student Room Group

Are my grades too low for a funded PhD in UK?

I got a first class in my bachelor's (76) at Imperial and continued to do a MRes in cancer biology at Imperial. However, I did not do well in my research projects and only managed a merit (60.5).

I have been applying for a little more than a year for a funded PhD and have had no interviews. I wonder if I am asking too much with my grades, even though most PhDs do not specify masters grades or only ask for merit and above.
Reply 1
Realistically, yes. It is not impossible, but you will be competing with people who have 80+ in their undergrads and probably the same again at Master's. That your performance suffered specifically in research projects is also a barrier.

This makes it really quite difficult to get initial funding. You can apply every year, however, and if your project has legs etc than there is a marginal chance that you can gain funding in subsequent years.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 2
Thank you for your insight, is there another way that I can achieve a funded PhD position? I am an international student which makes funding my degree much more difficult. I am thinking of either doing another Master's or looking for RA/technician jobs.

Any suggestions are most welcome.
Reply 3
Original post by CHENB
Thank you for your insight, is there another way that I can achieve a funded PhD position? I am an international student which makes funding my degree much more difficult. I am thinking of either doing another Master's or looking for RA/technician jobs.

Any suggestions are most welcome.

I can't realistically comment on your chances as I know the cancer research field is highly competitive and I don't come from that educational background.

I think doing activities (outside of academia or a future research position) related to what you want to study may boost your chances and show how dedicated you are? For example, science communication (your own research or more broadly what's going on in cancer research)? Just a suggestion, wish you the best!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending