The Student Room Group

Psychology work experience?

I have now finished my A levels and am hoping to do a degree in Psychology and Criminology. I have now finished for the summer and was hoping to get some work experience as I know I want to have a career in psychology, but I do not know what field. I have looked around and found volunteering at the hospital and many counselling places and have done a search on yell.co.uk.
I was wondering if anyone has had any psychology work experience and if it would be worth applying at the local therapy places. Obviously paid work would be good, however the money isn't an issue and I am more focused on the experience. I also do not have an official psychological qualifications (apart from my AS level and waiting for my A2) and I also understand that confidentiality will be an issue wherever I go. I am going to talk to my psychology teacher to see what she says about te best places too.
Reply 1
Original post by louisethomson
I have now finished my A levels and am hoping to do a degree in Psychology and Criminology. I have now finished for the summer and was hoping to get some work experience as I know I want to have a career in psychology, but I do not know what field. I have looked around and found volunteering at the hospital and many counselling places and have done a search on yell.co.uk.
I was wondering if anyone has had any psychology work experience and if it would be worth applying at the local therapy places. Obviously paid work would be good, however the money isn't an issue and I am more focused on the experience. I also do not have an official psychological qualifications (apart from my AS level and waiting for my A2) and I also understand that confidentiality will be an issue wherever I go. I am going to talk to my psychology teacher to see what she says about te best places too.

Any related experience would be beneficial to help develop your skills and start building your understanding of Psychology.
Roles such as care/support worker, befriender, healthcare assistant all would be relevant whether voluntary or paid. Try the do-it.org website for such roles.

Quick Reply

Latest