The Student Room Group

Roundabouts is holding me back, any advice please?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I found them difficult aswell, just your time and relax, I used to get so worked up about them. Also look for a huge lorry to take cover behind :P
230px-UK_Roundabout_8_Cars.gif

here ^
Thanks for all the advice and feedback guys, and thanks for that gif above. very useful.

Well, i have had a few lessons since this thread and i feel my positioning and decisions have been a lot better then before. I have found that basically, just take your time when approaching roundabouts, approach it slowly and calmly and have a good luck to the right, if there's enough time to go then it's good to go. Just concentrate to the right, as you have the right of way to the cars of the left.

As i keep driving im sure i will even get better at it and a few months/years down the line, i'll be looking back laughing on how difficult i found big roundabouts! :P
When approaching a roundabout, don't look for cars on it - try and look for the viable gaps instead.
Reply 24
Original post by TrueUnitedFan

Any advice when it comes to turning right on roundabouts, going straight, etc,

Doesn't sound stupid. It's easy once you can do it - but if you haven't been taught well, you can't be blamed.

To start with, focus on having good lane discipline on the roundabout itself. Get into the correct lane early on approach and follow it right around to your exit.

On the roundabout, make sure you're making checks all around the vehicle so you know the positions of others and you give them enough space. Signal at the right times.

On the approach, watch the traffic flow patterns carefully and see what people are doing. Start to identify the gap you want, and adjust your speed to fit into it. If the traffic is heavy, you may need to stop and wait for a gap - absolutely fine. Just keep concentrating so you can take a suitable gap once you see one. Be patient, if there isn't anything, just continue to wait. Wait until there's a gap you're comfortable with.

But ideally, you want an instructor to talk you through the procedure well. That will be the most helpful thing.

HTH :smile:
Reply 25
Best way to get all ur answers is utube videos. When on approaching a round about. Go sllllloooowwwww. Dont worry about holding the others back. U need to know where should u be stopping when u have to turn left or go straight or right. Watch utube. By the way i am no expert. I am learning. 16 or 17 hours of lessons done so far. Round abouts confuse me. Too many cars scare me. I hope i get better soon. My yesterday's lesson was a mess.
Reply 26
Original post by Iamneena
Best way to get all ur answers is utube videos. When on approaching a round about. Go sllllloooowwwww. Dont worry about holding the others back. U need to know where should u be stopping when u have to turn left or go straight or right. Watch utube. By the way i am no expert. I am learning. 16 or 17 hours of lessons done so far. Round abouts confuse me. Too many cars scare me. I hope i get better soon. My yesterday's lesson was a mess.

This thread hasn't had a reply since 2012; please don't bump old threads.
It wouldn't do much good..... we are getting more and more of the damn things popping up everywhere. I try to avoid them at all costs. I can never tell if the vehicle approaching plans to continue in my direction or veering off on toward another outlet. Good luck,,, even if you get the rules down perfectly,,, that doesn't mean the drivers you encounter know. Best O' luck
I have a query specific to the test.

If you’re waiting to enter a roundabout but see a car coming on your right hand side signalling right...so you naturally stop and wait.

Then that car signalling right proceeds to exit left meaning that you could have gone when you were previously waiting.

Is that classed as hesitation and a minor? Or is it okay because you were assuming they’d be remaining on the roundabout when they have that right signal on?
Reply 29
Original post by TrueUnitedFan
Hi there, i seem to have an issue with roundabouts, i am currently learning to drive and this is holding me back, can drive fine, it's just the bloody roundabouts that is holding me back.

I have booked another lesson with a different driving instructor next week as i feel my current one, isn't really pushing me, i can drive fine, had around 50 lessons now, which is 50 hours, and i just feel like he's trying to leech me off enough money as possible.

Any advice when it comes to turning right on roundabouts, going straight, etc, and i know this sounds stupid, but when you know when the best time it's safe to go, some drivers confuse me, indicate they are going that way but go the other way.

Check your mirrors.
If turning right: go to right hand side/lane, indicate right when you get to the exit, signal left to show you are leaving.
If turning left: go to left hand side/lane, indicate left when you get to the exit, keep signaling left to show you are leaving.
If going straight on: move to left, don't signal, stay on the outside lane and signal left when your leaving.
The basics is, left lane for 1st and 2nd exit. Right hand lane for 3rd and so on. Indicate left for 1st exit. Leave your indicator off as you leave the roundabout and then indicate left as approaching the 2nd exit. Indicate right for the 3rd, but change the indicator to left has you are approaching it.

The advice playa10 gave about moving around is sound as well. You give way to cars passing you on your right. If no one is moving to pass by you, then you can go.

Of course some people indicate wrong, or don't indicate at all. So it can be a pain. But you can usually tell by the way their car is moving if they are going to be passing by you or not. Just don't rush yourself as that's what causes problems. If you are unsure, it's safe just to not go until you are sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending