The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I dropped out of the academic bubble and into the real world... without even realising it. Started as a weekend job, then planned to go back to uni... then decided not to go back to uni, and here i am a self-sufficiant adult. Scary? hmmm not really, just taking things as they come!
**** it, what happens, happens and I can't be arsed to worry about it.
No i'm going to live my life as a bohemian traveller, travelling around the world selling my wares with a 3 legged dog called Rufus and leaving a faint smell of weed where ever i pass.
Reply 43
> "How do you feel about it all?"

Been doing it for a while now, and really it sucks :smile: Well it is not all that bad, the money and freedom are nice. Most people seem to like it, well enough and I am sure you will be just fine.

For me tho I have had plenty of the "real world" for a while postgrad is the place to be :P
With me I was excited(I left home at 17 to start college instead of straight to uni) but taht was due to bad bullying at school plus this was the days before EMA(Ironically it started the very year I left!) so I had the prospect of staying on at 16 for 2 years with no money and getting bulled or going to college and living away from home with grants.

Obvious what the choice was!

Anyway for the first year it was fanastic then 18 to my 20th birthday was good but lost that magic feeling that everything was new, after you are 20 is when things get dull as you arent a teen anymore and cant get away with loads of things and have to be more mature.
Reply 45
Completely bored of the student bubble and the sort same same people and lifestyle it involves, so yeah I'm itching to get out into the real world. I took a year off last year and went travelling, a lot of the people I met were so much more grown up, better at conversation etc than some of those I've met at uni and I enjoyed it immensely. In some ways going back to uni this year's felt like a step backwards socially, though it's been good academically.

So yeah, I feel quite grown up now and want to grow up further; can't wait to get a job, make a difference somehow, meet people, travel, get my own place, etc. Not that I'm planning on getting married or having kids any time soon (if at all)...
Not scared in the slightest.

Well, I'm scared for the children part though. I don't wanna get dead big and not be able to control it. :|
And my current partner is 3 1/2 years younger, and I'm scared that he'll want kids before I'm ready to have them. :s

:o:

Stupid really. :smile:
i started uni at 20 simply cos i wasnt ready to grow up.

I think all of the sudden you become bored of not having any responsibilities - like i have. I am kinda wishing my time at uni away as i cant wait to get out and get my life REALLY started.

I want to 'grow up' now.
I'm 17, and in a few months I'm 18, in a few more months I'm leaving my family and going to university, agh!

Thankfully those few months are on the other side of my A2 exams, so far to long away to even consider.
I love being a student. I started uni at 21 because I was bored of living in the 'real' world (by that I mean working a rubbish job 40+ hours a week). I'm now 24 and in my final year of my UG degree, and I'm probably gonna do a post grad in September so I can stay in my lazy student world a little bit longer, heh. But apart from all that, I do live an adult life; I have a well paying (if not soul destroyingly boring) job, I pay rent and we are applying for a mortgage right now, I have a partner... So it doesn't scare me at all. I just want a nice job that I enjoy.
Impending adulthood.....yeah i'm on the verge of graduating from uni (i finish tomorrow!!) and it does scare me. I've recently had to start thinking about a full time job and have come to the conclusion i have no idea what i want to do (yeah...3 years studying film and media production at uni has done sweet f.a for my job prospects!). Rent doesn't scae me as i've been doing that thelast 3 years, and i have a house with 4 mates sorted from july onwards.

I'm kind of looking forward to starting a new phase of my life :smile: I'm pretty sure the whole kids and marraige thing won't be happening for a good while yet tho i have a great bf who i'm very happy with. As scary as it is, its just a new chapter in your life, don't fear it, look forward to it.
Reply 51
Yeah, I'm going to uni in a few months and I'm always one of the youngest (born in August) and I'm terrified but more excited. Obviously, I've got 4 years until it all starts (to go downhill probably!) but I can't wait to get a job I want, to travel, to have my own place. I don't really want kids, that might change but I don't think so, so that's the reason I don't worry about that. I'm nervous in a good way! :biggrin:
I planned (well, expected) to die by 18 when I was 12. I've now entered the "bonus rounds" in my head (I don't see myself making it past 25, call me cynical, but yeah).

I don't want to be an adult (I'm 19 now) and I don't see myself coping.
Reply 53
No big deal really. You just do what you have to and everything falls into place. You just tend to get on with it.
I'm scared too, just over a month and I'm ****ting it. I don't think I can handle the responsibility.
Reply 55
uni is great at avoiding adulthood.. or breaking you in gently anyway, and I'm at uni for 5 or 6 years :biggrin:

of the 'real life, jobs, rent, mortgages, partners, kids', it's the latter two that worry me! A partner and kids will probably just be demanding and tie me down.

Quite excited bout buying a house, I seem to spend way too much of my time on rightmove.co.uk!
I'm looking forward to it, I can't wait to be settled down into a Job and to be financially independent. I feel powerless at the minute with no Job and no money.
Reply 57
Saffie
uni is great at avoiding adulthood.. or breaking you in gently anyway, and I'm at uni for 5 or 6 years :biggrin:

I'll be 26 in 2 months and I'm still at uni :biggrin:

Although its taking its toll now. I'm more than ready for the job market.
Reply 58
Petrified.

Which is why I'm planning to spend as long in university as possible. :p:
ahh guys you will all learn,

im 26 i pay rent (soon to be mortage) i pay taxes credit card bills, loan bills all teh joys of livein int he 21st century

wish i was 18 again

Latest

Trending

Trending