The Student Room Group

Have I written off my car?

Hello all,

As you know the conditions for driving are pretty bad out there... Anyway, I managed to crash last night while giving a friend a lift. It was snowing and the roads were already pretty bad - my first time driving in conditions this bad. I was going about 20mph down a residential street and came to a corner I've taken many times. Stupidly, I touched the accelerator as I went to turn and the car just carried straight on into the kerb without losing any speed. So basically, the wheel hit the kerb while it was at full lock.

I tried to move the car off the kerb but it seemed like the wheel was stuck. I got out to have a look and was waiting for my friends to come and join me (my house it literally just down the road from there) when another person did the same thing and went straight into the back of me. 15 minutes later while I was waiting for the recovery vehicle another car went into her and rammed her back into me.

Soon, a pizza delivery guy smashed into the kerb just behind us but managed to limp away with a wonky wheel, a motorcyclist came off and went under a parked car, and another person hit the kerb and was rear-ended. That made me feel a bit less stupid at having come off the road, but what I want to know is how much damage I've taken and whether the car will be written off.

The car is an R-reg Saxo 1.1i. The kerb damage looks pretty bad - at a glance you can see the wheel is seriously buckled and the tyre flat. The way the wheel is bent also suggests to me that I've damaged the suspension and probably pushed the wheel into the brake disc. In any case the wheel will not turn more than about 180 degrees before it locks in place - it isn't driveable.

The damage to the rear isn't bad. Because I was up on the kerb I was hit under the bumper, so the bodywork around the towhook is bent and dented, and the bumper is cracked. The damage appears to be superficial, and the other car came off a lot worse because it took the force of the collision above the bumper, which crumpled the bonnet and broke the front grille.

I'm going to a garage soon to check out the extent of the damage, but thought I'd vent/ask for opinions here first.

Scroll to see replies

Have you ever heard of paragraphs?

And the fate of the car doesn't sound good, admittedly.
Sorry, it was formatted properly on my screen - I'll edit it.
Post a pic, it sounds bad but we won't know until we've seen it
Reply 4
pics or gtfo

also are you a female?
I have my camera with me with a lot of photos of the damage, but no connecting cable. :frown:

I'm going to come off campus and upload the pics a bit later. And no I'm not female...
Reply 6
Doesn't sound good. Was no one trying to flag down drivers after the second, nay the third car went in?

So far, no one in our ditch. Which is a suprise. Last year we towed one out and one proceeded to go straight in where the one we had towed out came from, despite us being parked in the middle of the road, with more lights than the average christmas tree.
Yeah, 5 of us were trying to flag down drivers after I was hit the first time, but it didn't seem to make much difference. In fact, it seems to goad some people into driving faster... we had a lot of near-misses as well as the two who actually hit me and the others who hit the kerb.

I went to the garage opposite where I left the car and they said to me that it's not as bad as it looks. I can claim the bodywork damage on the people who rear-ended me, and the kerb damage will require a new suspension arm and wheel to get it drivable, but otherwise it doesn't look too bad at the moment. I was half-right about the wheel buckling into the brakes - apparently it buckled into the calipers, which is why the wheel only turns 180 in either direction before it stops.

Because of the weather I reckon it will be a while before they can source the parts. I just hope I can drive it by the end of the week because I drive to work.
Reply 8
Old car + buggered front suspension + multiple rear pannel damage...
Hmmm. It'll be close if it isn't a write off.

Are you comprehensively insured?
No, I'm not fully comp so I'm just going to get it repaired, and have the girl who went into the back of me pay for the damage to the rear bumper.

Having had some time to reflect, I don't think the damage is as bad as it looked to begin with. I've got some pictures to show you as well...

The first pic shows where I was hit (twice) on the rear bumper. The second shows the extent of damage to the rear bumper (which is the only damaged panel by the looks of things, although the boot is now temperamental when I try to close it). The third pic shows the damage to the wheel and tyre, although it isn't obvious just how much it's buckled from that image.

My current plan is to use duct tape to cover up the damage to the back until I can get a new bumper. Also, can anyone tell me what shade of red my car is? I know that Citroen do at least two shades so I don't want to go and buy the wrong colour...
Reply 10
I'm sorry but that's a pretty funny story. Did you have your hazards on?

As far as the car goes, it might not be worth paying what they'll want to repair it. Good luck.
Sweyn Forkbeard
No, I'm not fully comp so I'm just going to get it repaired, and have the girl who went into the back of me pay for the damage to the rear bumper.

Having had some time to reflect, I don't think the damage is as bad as it looked to begin with. I've got some pictures to show you as well...

The first pic shows where I was hit (twice) on the rear bumper. The second shows the extent of damage to the rear bumper (which is the only damaged panel by the looks of things, although the boot is now temperamental when I try to close it). The third pic shows the damage to the wheel and tyre, although it isn't obvious just how much it's buckled from that image.

My current plan is to use duct tape to cover up the damage to the back until I can get a new bumper. Also, can anyone tell me what shade of red my car is? I know that Citroen do at least two shades so I don't want to go and buy the wrong colour...

Personally i'd hit that bumper with the filler rather than getting a new one.

There should be a paint code somewhere on your car, though i've found that the best match halfrauds had for mine (citroen 2cv) was actually hammerite smooth red.
Reply 12
It's not so bad.
The car might actually be repairable.

If the cost of repair exceeds 65% of the cars total value then the insurance co will write it off.
Reply 13
i think the ka that hit you has more problems by the look of that bonnet.

your wheel isnt that bad either... probably just needs a new tyre and possibly tracking.

however, there could be more damage underneath... so get it into a body shop asap.
Reply 14
pumpkin7

your wheel isnt that bad either... probably just needs a new tyre and possibly tracking.

are you taking the piss?
That wheel's more bent than Boy George.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old Saxo - could be picked up in good nick for sub £350. New wheel, tyre, panels, tracking, and labour may not come to that sum total, but it depends what the garage recommends you do with it. Bear in mind dependent upon the extent of damage, any structural damage to suspension may not be immediately recognisable. There's also a slim possibility of boot floor damage etc. The list really does go on, but the good news is that you can choose how much you do. Bodywork can be botched up (take note of every other Mondeo on the road...) etc.

My advice would be to get someone to take a look at it, give you a quote, and go from there. Sometimes, it's better the devil you know, and then there's the obvious affection one can build up for their cars. :smile:
You're not on msn so I'll write it here and assume you'll see it. Dan (Gypsy King) told me to tell you that you could probably pick up a replacement car cheaper than the repair work that needs doing on yours. Aww I'm so sad about your poor little Saxo, remember when we took it down to Devon? I always liked that car. :frown:

Haha ok the muppet posted at same time as me...
New wheel and axel(sp?) and re tracking, at the best id imagine.

Get a quote and check with your insurers.
Still waiting on the garage to get me a quote... I've walked past there a few times recently and they seem to spend the majority of their time sipping tea.

I'd rather keep the car than get a new one. It's never broken down on me (well, apart from once and the repair cost me like £10) and the engine is in good condition despite doing over 90k miles. The brakes are relatively new as well. In short I think I've invested too much in it to scrap it. If I can get it roadworthy again for a reasonable price then I'll go for that.

Out of interest, where might I be able to pick up a Saxo in decent condition for a similar price?

Oh and yes, I did have my hazards on when the other person went into me, and she had hers on when the third person went into her. It would have been hilarious had it not been me.

Latest

Trending

Trending