The Student Room Group

Abercrombie/Hollister/Jack Wills

Saw a thread about them being fake or whatever. So thought I'd turn this thread into a debate for people to let out their opinions on the brands.
Would you wear it?
Do you agree with the price?

Personally I love them. The quality is amazing - shut up for people who say it isn't - I still wear the stuff I brought like over 3 years ago - and yeah it's still in fashion because the clothes are timeless. :smile:

But a pet hate, is someone who wears the name of the shop in capitol letters right across their top/hoodie/trackies when they aren't even do sport at the time. It's clearly the only item they own.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am employed by Jack Wills and I think they're fantastic. They're an awesome company and I love wearing the clothes. They're different, my kind of colours/style and I like their signature layered look. I think the clothes are manufactured to a high standard and although the prices are quite high I think it's justified as it's meant to be seen as something special or exclusive.

I like Hollister, good for everyday wear, they have some cute items and the prices I feel are extremely reasonable, again it's good quality and like you say it doesn't go 'out'. Abercrombie is expensive to buy in the UK, it's much more reasonable in the US which is why I will only buy whilst there on holiday now. They make some very pretty tops from time to time.

Be honest I'm not a big hoodies/trackies person so having any logo emblazoned across my front doesn't really appeal. I can see why people like it though because it makes them feel part of something I guess.

I know people give all 3 brands a bad rep because they don't like the image they portray, especially Jack Wills but I whole heartedly disagree. I've met some really nice colleagues, feel like it's a great team, it's a social job etc, I enjoy talking to people that come in and helping them and I get paid for it.

Whatever anyone says at the end of the day all 3 companies are extremely successful. Profit only comes from customers buying the product and when you have a turnover as high as JW/Abercrombie/Hollister then you're doing something right.
Reply 2
Original post by Summergirl.x
Saw a thread about them being fake or whatever. So thought I'd turn this thread into a debate for people to let out their opinions on the brands.
Would you wear it?
Do you agree with the price?

Personally I love them. The quality is amazing - shut up for people who say it isn't - I still wear the stuff I brought like over 3 years ago - and yeah it's still in fashion because the clothes are timeless. :smile:

But a pet hate, is someone who wears the name of the shop in capitol letters right across their top/hoodie/trackies when they aren't even do sport at the time. It's clearly the only item they own.

I LOVE them! :love: Most of my clothes are from Jack Wills or Crew, and Abercrombie is beautiful! :biggrin: Yes, I agree they're always in fashion, looking clean and classic never goes out of date. It's so much better than tacky cheap looking 'trends'.

I don't have an issue with the price, I think it's worth it! :smile:
yeah they are good clothes, it's just unfortunate that a lot of people that wear them tend to act like knobs
Reply 4
Original post by NatalieMT
I am employed by Jack Wills and I think they're fantastic. They're an awesome company and I love wearing the clothes. They're different, my kind of colours/style and I like their signature layered look. I think the clothes are manufactured to a high standard and although the prices are quite high I think it's justified as it's meant to be seen as something special or exclusive.

I like Hollister, good for everyday wear, they have some cute items and the prices I feel are extremely reasonable, again it's good quality and like you say it doesn't go 'out'. Abercrombie is expensive to buy in the UK, it's much more reasonable in the US which is why I will only buy whilst there on holiday now. They make some very pretty tops from time to time.

Be honest I'm not a big hoodies/trackies person so having any logo emblazoned across my front doesn't really appeal. I can see why people like it though because it makes them feel part of something I guess.

I know people give all 3 brands a bad rep because they don't like the image they portray, especially Jack Wills but I whole heartedly disagree. I've met some really nice colleagues, feel like it's a great team, it's a social job etc, I enjoy talking to people that come in and helping them and I get paid for it.

Whatever anyone says at the end of the day all 3 companies are extremely successful. Profit only comes from customers buying the product and when you have a turnover as high as JW/Abercrombie/Hollister then you're doing something right.

You are sooo lucky to work for them!! I handed in a CV like as soon as I turned 16, but I had no experience then. I'd love to work there now, but have no time :/ And everyone is talking about Hollister jobs in Cambridge right now, but by the sounds of it - I'd rather work at JW.
Reply 5
Jack Wills used to be very preppy, but chavs have got hold of it now, hence Aublin and Wills (think that's what it's called)!
Hollister is awesome, although shops are popping up everywhere now so it's rather common now, although the prices aren't expensive at all, £40 for a hoodie!!
A and F is cool too, very expensive in England however much better prices in America obviously, so if you go there make sure you stock up, just like I did!!
Reply 6
Original post by Jonnislats
Jack Wills used to be very preppy, but chavs have got hold of it now, hence Aublin and Wills (think that's what it's called)!
Hollister is awesome, although shops are popping up everywhere now so it's rather common now, although the prices aren't expensive at all, £40 for a hoodie!!
A and F is cool too, very expensive in England however much better prices in America obviously, so if you go there make sure you stock up, just like I did!!

Chavs don't wear Jack Wills. D:
Reply 7
Original post by NatalieMT
Abercrombie is expensive to buy in the UK, it's much more reasonable in the US which is why I will only buy whilst there on holiday now. They make some very pretty tops from time to time.

Original post by Jonnislats

I disagree actually. Abercrombie, I can sometimes find cheaper than Jack Wills. Like I got a skirt from there the other day for £50. Whereas it's about £60-70 in JW. I guess it's different for different products though.
Reply 8
I do like their clothes but I always feel a bit guilty because I think I've succumbed to their very clever marketing scheme :\
Reply 9
Original post by .Ali.

chavs do wear jw... it makes them think they look rich :') but when your hair is obviously dyed, straightened and a TON of makeup and then you have JACK WILLS hoodie and fake uggs (or real if they have a lucky xmas pressie) then it just looks funny :')
Reply 10
I love the online Jack Wills outlet shop! With the last seasons set of items, but discounted :biggrin:
Reply 11
chavs do wear jw... it makes them think they look rich :') but when your hair is obviously dyed, straightened and a TON of makeup and then you have JACK WILLS hoodie and fake uggs (or real if they have a lucky xmas pressie) then it just looks funny :')

I've personally never seen them wear it :tongue: Ha, I hate people who's hair is clearly dyed. Either do it right ot don't do it! Especially when they dye it black, but leave their almost non-existant eyebrows blonde... :lolwut:
Reply 12
The US equivalent of chavs have taken over Abercrombie as well. Now the majority of people that wear A&F are either rednecks, white trash, or pre-teens. A lot of the internationals (mainly chinese/korean and indian) wear AF to school. I think the last time I ever wore something produced by AF was 6 years ago. Now I just wear ralph lauren. Although, hollister makes some solid jeans.
Original post by .Ali.
I've personally never seen them wear it :tongue: Ha, I hate people who's hair is clearly dyed. Either do it right ot don't do it! Especially when they dye it black, but leave their almost non-existant eyebrows blonde... :lolwut:

black is good, blonde however
Reply 14
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
black is good, blonde however

Natural is lovely, dyed can look nice if the eyebrows are done right, and if it's dyed right. Not if it's done very badly.
Reply 15
Original post by .Ali.

wow, never seen it? it's like everywhere here in Cambridge.

Original post by adam0311
The US equivalent of chavs have taken over Abercrombie as well. Now the majority of people that wear A&F are either rednecks, white trash, or pre-teens. A lot of the internationals (mainly chinese/korean and indian) wear AF to school. I think the last time I ever wore something produced by AF was 6 years ago. Now I just wear ralph lauren. Although, hollister makes some solid jeans.

RL is good :smile: It's like still rare in Cambridge - but that's because nowhere stocks womens RL clothes!! :frown: Soo annoying.!
I disagree actually. Abercrombie, I can sometimes find cheaper than Jack Wills. Like I got a skirt from there the other day for £50. Whereas it's about £60-70 in JW. I guess it's different for different products though.

What makes Abercrombie pricey is if you don't live near a store ie London and can only buy online. The shipping is like a minimum flat £20 fee. Which significantly bumps up the price of anything you purchase. My sister paid £80 for a hoodie from their website and it's nothing particularly special.
I'm not a fan of the standard trackies and hoodies from there- I don't see why they're better than anything else off the high street and I don't like the fact that the brand name is emblazoned across the front. Likewise I find the whole "trackies tucked into Uggs" look horrendously unflattering, it gives you tree trunk legs and huge calves.
However, some of the dresses and skirts and so on are nice... but again, I wouldn't go for any of them over the high street version
Reply 18
No. It's a boring shop. Everyone looks the same. The clothes are so 'L.A preppy'. They have no individuality. They aren't stylish, as nothing is actually on trend.

AND it is madly overpriced for a top with the word 'hollister' on.
Original post by .Ali.

They do where I'm from!

Quick Reply

Latest