The Student Room Group

The Barbelles Society: Ladies Who Lift

Scroll to see replies

Reply 680
i wear converse shoes for squatting :biggrin:
Original post by Phalanx
Lol, tell me with a straight face that raised heels don't throw your balance off. Actually go to a gym, squat your max in trainers and tell me your balance doesn't feel weird. There's no broscience in what I say, because it's true.
I squatted 800lbs in Olmypic Shoes, my balance was fine as such as I have completed an actual competition lift that must make me right? You are just saying from your perspective, you may have flexible ankles good for you keep going barfoot if that works but it isn’t the same for everyone

I don't know why olympic shoes have raised heels to tell you the truth. But I bet for every video or picture of an olympic lifter wearing such shoes you show me, I can send you a picture of someone not wearing those shoes.

no you can’t, every single lifter in the last Olympic games had Olympic shoes on, you argument fails immediately
I mean, if you read this article (I just google searched this now), it seems that the raised heel is for the purpose of power cleans and snatches, not squats and deadlifts.

http://www.dynamic-eleiko.com/sportivny/library/farticles015.html

Kinda makes sense to me.

Oh right, so the Olmypic lifts?
Someone was talking about them earlier, not sure who I’ll just quote the post so you can read it

Original post by Phalanx
Definitely not. You want shoes which make your feet as flat as possible. This is why trainers are a pretty poor choice for olympic lifts. They raise your heels too much and as a result, mess up your balance.
Original post by aivi
Ooh, the blue one looks awesome. Mine isn't a traditional leather one, 'cause I thought a nylon one would be a bit more comfortable and also have more adjustability (velcro instead of a pin&hole). Also didn't feel like splurging too much money, since I might end up not using it a lot.

OOO refund it immediately - velcro belts are next to useless.

The point of a belt is so that your core has something to press up against. A velcro strap is far too weak and may even come apart at the most crucial point - when you are coming back up from a deep squat position.
Original post by Phalanx
I knew this would happen.

Derek Poundstone, Deadlifting 800lbs for reps - just wearing socks

Sigh, ok we are talking squats and people who struggle to hit depth - which is when the oly shoe is a perfectly legitimate response to the problem.

And you post a vid of someone deadlifting? I have to wear oly shoes to hit depth with decent form, but I deadlift in deadlift slippers which is near barefoot. The hips and knees are in a totally different position - so is there a point to this.

There will be a preference in squats depending on stance, flexibility etc but to claim you can post a pic of someone not wearing them then posting a deadlift is pointless, you may as well post a pic of some random in the street wearing something different.
Biggest argument fail ever.
Reply 685
mehdi
Do You Need Shoes With Heels? Olympic weight lifters wear shoes with heels because these make it easier to hit depth on Olympic lifts like Power Cleans, Olympic Squats, Front Squats, Overhead Squats,
I see.
Reply 686
Original post by cowsforsale
OOO refund it immediately - velcro belts are next to useless.

The point of a belt is so that your core has something to press up against. A velcro strap is far too weak and may even come apart at the most crucial point - when you are coming back up from a deep squat position.

I know quite a lot of people share that opinion (and with good reason), but I barely paid anything for the belt, and don't lift that heavy. Like I said, I really don't know if I'll even use it, since it was bought more to appease my dad.
I have a raised heel trainer for doing squats and I decided to go barefoot.

Lets just say I had a bit of difficulty adapting to it but I shall be doing it more.
Reply 688
For squats I started off with a small weight disc under each heel until I built up flexibility. Now I squat and deadlift in bare feet. (well, socks... :p: )
Reply 689
Did a lot of squat work (I went up to 32.5kg 3x5, but still no idea about my max) and some complexes today, then did some proper foam-rolling for the first time... and almost cried for momma. I can't decide if I love it or hate it, so I'll have to do it again :biggrin:
Reply 690
Original post by aivi
Did a lot of squat work (I went up to 32.5kg 3x5, but still no idea about my max) and some complexes today, then did some proper foam-rolling for the first time... and almost cried for momma. I can't decide if I love it or hate it, so I'll have to do it again :biggrin:

I don't know if my gym has these foam rollers, gonna have to investigate!
Reply 691
Original post by Becca
I don't know if my gym has these foam rollers, gonna have to investigate!

You can also make your own quite easily (and cheaply) from pvc pipe, camping matress and duct tape.

Good demos/descriptions of all the moves you could possibly need:
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/feel_better_for_10_bucks

Oh and also tennis balls can be used in the same way (learned how to use them in yoga 8), and work better for smaller isolated areas. And the glutes! I didn't really see stars when I was using the foam roller on my glutes, so I'll take some tennis balls with me next time.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 692
Original post by aivi
You can also make your own quite easily (and cheaply) from pvc pipe, camping matress and duct tape.

Wow, good plan! Pretty sure my parents have all of those in the garage, so next time I'm home I will get crafty :biggrin:
If your gym has medicine balls. You can use them. I find them better too because you have better range of movement albeit it's harder to balance :smile:.

Watch out tho - They are so painful to start off with - especially the I.T Band and Adductor.
Reply 694
One thing I will never understand: people who wear woolly hats in the gym.

If you do this, please explain why.
I'm back at uni and I'm really looking forward to the gym tomorrow.
Bad enough wearing a wooly hat in the gym, but I went swimming yesterday morning and a man had a wooly hat on in the swimming pool :confused:
Original post by Becca
One thing I will never understand: people who wear woolly hats in the gym.

If you do this, please explain why.

I do at times, but my gym is an industrial unit the same temperature as outside.
Re the woolly hats, I've never done it but I might tomorrow because the squat rack is downstairs in a garage-like place and the door is always open. In fact it's only a small room and the temperature is the same as outside.
Reply 699
We did some deadlifting and squatting at the end of boxing training today (it will become a permanent part of the training session, in addition to the work I do on my own), got a lot of advice that I didn't really know even after my extensive internet search, when I first started out. Deadlifted 60kg or so (first proper deadlift, yay), though I'll probably work on 4x5 at 50kg or so for the next few weeks to get my form really good. I find squatting so much easier than deadlifting :frown: Gotta work on it!

Quick Reply

Latest