The Student Room Group

Won National Lottery Scratchcards

How many people here, have personally won BIG or know someone who won big on a scratchcard? I mean more than £250 when I say big.

Scratchcards in general fail to convince me, I just think its a big con and the lottery people are taking advantage of stastical probabilities (maybe even smart design software) to produce the cards/games. I want to know if people out there have actually won big or if you personally know people who have. It might only cost a quid or two, but think about how many millions the lottery makes through naive punters across the country.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peace0fM1nd

How many people here, have personally won BIG or know someone who won big on a scratchcard? I mean more than £250 when I say big.

Scratchcards in general fail to convince me, I just think its a big con and the lottery people are taking advantage of stastical probabilities (maybe even smart design software) to produce the cards/games. I want to know if people out there have actually won big or if you personally know people who have. It might only cost a quid or two, but think about how many millions the lottery makes through naive punters across the country.

Have you actually just won, or what??
Reply 2
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
Have you actually just won, or what??

Do you play scratchcards, have you ever won or personally know anyone who has. I'm trying to get a general picture if people actually win or get robbed.
Reply 3
i work in a supermarket and i served a scratch card that won £1000 i think. i know it was a big win anyways.
of course camelot are the overall winners though, they wouldnt produce them otherwise! it can be just a bit of fun, i buy them if i've got a spare £1 rolling around in my purse, why not? some customers though buy ridiculous amounts, win a couple of quid and just buy more with it. i can't really see the fun in that :s-smilie:
Of course the lottery take advantage on scratchcards, otherwise thy'd be out of business I guess.

Before he died my grandad had an annual tradition that each of his kids & grandkids would buy him one scratchcard (and if he ever won he would split it between everyone) on his birthday because he was old and didn't actually want anything anymore.

Year before he died he got 17 cards, and won £950 between them. That was a ****ing epic day :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by History-Student
Of course the lottery take advantage on scratchcards, otherwise thy'd be out of business I guess.

Before he died my grandad had an annual tradition that each of his kids & grandkids would buy him one scratchcard (and if he ever won he would split it between everyone) on his birthday because he was old and didn't actually want anything anymore.

Year before he died he got 17 cards, and won £950 between them. That was a ****ing epic day :biggrin:

Sweet. But this says it all really, im guessing it was the most he ever won? as compared to how many purchased
Reply 6
Original post by Samz
i work in a supermarket and i served a scratch card that won £1000 i think. i know it was a big win anyways.
of course camelot are the overall winners though, they wouldnt produce them otherwise! it can be just a bit of fun, i buy them if i've got a spare £1 rolling around in my purse, why not? some customers though buy ridiculous amounts, win a couple of quid and just buy more with it. i can't really see the fun in that :s-smilie:

thats the biigest amount so far on this thread - and how long have u been selling scratchcards out of interest? obviously at the supermarket
Sweet. But this says it all really, im guessing it was the most he ever won? as compared to how many purchased

By far. One year he won £2 out of nearly £60 spent.

It's all down to luck in the end; whether you get a winning one or not. eg. My sister bought a bunch and at least doubled what she spent, but that's obviously a rare occurrence.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
My mum recently won £800 :smile: but that was on the National Lottery website instant play games.
I am wishful also that one day I could win something from instant games like this. :colondollar::colondollar::colondollar::colondollar::colondollar::colondollar:
I have won roughly 1500 on one, which went towards a holiday I was saving for.
Reply 11
I've won £20 a couple of times, but I dont really play them.I've been behind people in the newsagent who have spent at least 20 or 30 quid on these things, dont know if they won anything though.
I won 4 times on one card once (a £2) one and walked away with £100, that was an epic day.
Lucky for you guys you have won something at least. Unlucky for the guys who don't and spend much on scratch cards! :biggrin:
The most i have ever won is £2 on a £2 scratch card. I was very happy because i regretted buying it the minute i started scratching

I'm saving my luck for the euromillions so it's fine
Personally, the most I've won is £50. When I used to work in a post office, no one ever really won big. However, that didn't stop people from spending £30 a day on them.
Sometimes it feels good to be lucky. I hope I could win big next time with that kind of scratch cards. Just a wishful thinking! :colondollar::colondollar::colondollar::colondollar::colondollar::colondollar:
Reply 17
we all get one in our christmas stockings each year, my current record is £2.
Reply 18
A bit off topic, but once my mum tried to show my little brother that it was a waste of time and money etc etc. She went to Londis and got him to pick a cheap 1 pound scratch card;

the jammie git won 20 quid, lesson not learned :awesome:
Reply 19
Never won anything decent, usually £2.

I stopped being naive to the lottery a long while ago, I thought playing the lottery and euromillions twice a week, I'd eventually win something, turned out I didn't and wasted a load of money. I however make the exception for events, such as a new year draw etc. I'll be making an exception next week 27th july: https://www.national-lottery.co.uk/player/p/help/lotterydrawgames/em_infohub_event.ftl

100 uk millionaires, I'll play 3 tickets £6 and that is it until a another big event, probably the new year.

Latest

Trending

Trending