The Student Room Group

8.9 Earthquake and Tsunami in Japan

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bikerx23
That, fortunately, seems very unlikely as there is no propellant to push the contaminants into the jet stream, as was the case with Chernobyl derived contamination.

The lack of clarity though is completely infuriating - someone I know said originally that tepco had a history of being secretive and elusive, which I thought was just him adding some vitriol, but in hindsight it seems a completely justified concern.

yeah apparently if a meltdown does occur it won't be 'Another chernobyl'... what I want to know is what exactly will it be? Surely the radioactive chemicals will escape nonetheless and be propagated somewhere, perhaps local, across Tokyo? Across the pacific regardless?

The media reporting on it is conflicting and confusing, it's being compared to Chernobyl 'another chernobyl', 'worst disaster since chernobyl' etc etc but apparently it won't be anyway?
Original post by morris743
Enlighten me :holmes:

Hokaay I'm on abovetopsecret.com - forums/fragile earth/ the Japan declares nuclear emergency thread, they're discussing it there and all, some people there know what they're talking about - I trust them more than some of these news reports tbh

the media is so polarized on this - either completely scare mongering or just playing it down completely
I was so shocked when I heard about this and immediately called my friends in Japan. Luckily they were safe but unfortunately not everybody was lucky and my heart goes out to those who lost family and loved ones.

Dave
Reply 683
Original post by lukejoshjedi
Hokaay I'm on abovetopsecret.com - forums/fragile earth/ the Japan declares nuclear emergency thread, they're discussing it there and all, some people there know what they're talking about - I trust them more than some of these news reports tbh

the media is so polarized on this - either completely scare mongering or just playing it down completely

Fair enough, I like your enthusiasm. It reminds me of someone :colondollar:
Original post by morris743
Fair enough, I like your enthusiasm. It reminds me of someone :colondollar:

you, a few years ago? lol
Reply 685
you, a few years ago? lol

No, my son who hasn't been born yet :holmes:
Reply 686
yeah apparently if a meltdown does occur it won't be 'Another chernobyl'... what I want to know is what exactly will it be? Surely the radioactive chemicals will escape nonetheless and be propagated somewhere, perhaps local, across Tokyo? Across the pacific regardless?

The media reporting on it is conflicting and confusing, it's being compared to Chernobyl 'another chernobyl', 'worst disaster since chernobyl' etc etc but apparently it won't be anyway?

Worst reaction since Chernobyl is already a guarantee, but nothing too significant has happened in the last 25 years.

Were a more substantial meltdown to occur, it would depend on how effectively contained the material was. If the containment fractured, as is rumoured to be the case on one of the units (although the design has 3 levels of containment, so again the statement is ambiguous at best) this could lead to dispersal over the local area. Personally the rumoured fuel fires are the most substantial concern right now in my mind (in the cooling ponds) as these do not have the same level of defense in depth.

It would take something quite astonishing for another Chernobyl to be the outcome, and there doesn't seem to be sufficient energy to initiate a Mayak scale event either. This would be broadly comparable in my mind to an INES level 5 - a 100th of a Chernobyl, effectively.
How can I donate money to Japan?

Can we really trust that all the money we donate to charities such as British Red Cross, Oxfam will reach the victims as a full amount?

:frown: I really want to help.
Original post by street.lovin'
How can I donate money to Japan?

Can we really trust that all the money we donate to charities such as British Red Cross, Oxfam will reach the victims as a full amount?

:frown: I really want to help.

Japan hasn't asked for financial aid yet , so any money donated will be kept by the charities for other projects.
Original post by hasin_arshad
Japan hasn't asked for financial aid yet , so any money donated will be kept by the charities for other projects.

What do Japan want then? Do you have any idea? Food etc.?

I really want to help but I am too pathetic to know how.

What do Japan want then? Do you have any idea? Food etc.?

I really want to help but I am too pathetic to know how.

Money is only needed for rebuilding projects or food, shelter etc. Japan can already provide food and shelter for the people displaced as a result of the tsunami and they're not focusing on rebuilding just yet. What they need is to find missing persons and recover dead bodies as well as deal with the nuclear threat. They're already doing the last one but for the other two they need manpower, expertise and equipment which is being provided by foreign search and rescue teams and foreign armies.
Original post by CombineHarvester
Money is only needed for rebuilding projects or food, shelter etc. Japan can already provide food and shelter for the people displaced as a result of the tsunami and they're not focusing on rebuilding just yet. What they need is to find missing persons and recover dead bodies as well as deal with the nuclear threat. They're already doing the last one but for the other two they need manpower, expertise and equipment which is being provided by foreign search and rescue teams and foreign armies.

Ok. Thank you.

Basically, I am pretty useless right now. =.=

Will keep up with news so when they need money, I will send some to them as soon as possible!
Why is this health and relationships?
A mod should probably move this to current affairs?

EDIT: Well that was fast
(edited 13 years ago)
How are those pictures relevant to the thread title?
Original post by KZhao
Latest Japan Nuclear Radiation after the Super Earthquake

Original post by Good bloke
How are those pictures relevant to the thread title?

Good question bro
Reply 697
Tokyo's a hella creepy place to be right now. Like most of the people here, I'm prepared to leave only in the event of a meltdown.
Coolant cable finally connected to reactor 2. A bit of good news at last.
Been looking at some pictures of Toyko during the rolling blackouts. Eerie considering what it's normally like.
Reply 699
Original post by Student2806
Coolant cable finally connected to reactor 2. A bit of good news at last.
Been looking at some pictures of Toyko during the rolling blackouts. Eerie considering what it's normally like.

Could you share the link to those pictures please?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending