The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The irish were considered racially different by the British.
The IRA didn't fight the british army they were cowards and fought defensless unarmed civilians. We should have launched missiles at them but they hid behind civilians.
Reply 22
Original post by draikzer
They're all too drunk to organize anything.

Hey draiker min, you filled in that comedian application form yet?
Reply 23
Original post by Danny.
Hey draiker min, you filled in that comedian application form yet?

y u mad tho?
Reply 24
Original post by draikzer
y u mad tho?

Original post by -Invidious-
With the recent polls showing huge support for the SNP in Scotland, it got me thinking as to why there's no IRA equivalent there?

I mean both Scotland and Ireland speak Gaelic, there's large Catholic populations in both countries and Independence is now seen in a favorable light. It just struck me that despite this, no terrorist attacks or violent actions from Scots have occurred towards the English.

Because the same issues don't exist, or if they do, in nowhere near the same concentration. Besides, the IRA did not spring into being as part of the Troubles, they evolved from the IRB, a product of the late 1800's and early 1900's, and before then, the Fenians and Ribbonmen...going back centuries, in all. Scotland does not have the same history as Ireland, and is fairly markedly different actually. Maybe you should read up on the history of English involvement in Ireland and see if you find parallels with Scottish history- they would be few and far between. The biggest thing would be that although there were often wars historically between England and Scotland, their union was not really resisted. In Ireland, any interference on England's part was resisted, often violently, and always has been, even as far back as the Norman conquest.

Gaeilge and Gaelic are NOT the same language. They are related and many origins of words are the exact same, but grammar, spelling and basic structure of word endings are all different. It would be similar to the differences between Spanish and Italian, or Dutch and German.
Reply 26
I believe Adam Busby's son used to go to the nursery my mother worked in. She has suggested that he seemed to be quite mentally unstable.

On the broader subject, I think that the lack of support for a Scottish-style liberation army is because Scots have not been as oppressed as the Irish were. The British rule over Ireland was absolutely despicable and wholly unjustifiable, whereas Scots have enjoyed a relatively cheery symbiotic relationship with the rest of the UK (besides the highland clans). I support independence, but I know this isn't nearly in the same league as the Irish situation.
Reply 27
Is there an Orange Order in Scotland?
Reply 28
Original post by Martyn*
Is there an Orange Order in Scotland?

Yes, it's massive in the West of Scotland.
Reply 29
Original post by L i b
Yes, it's massive in the West of Scotland.

It's going strong, sadly. The sectarian nonsense may have dissapated slightly over the last 50 years or so, but just look at rangers and celtic.
Reply 30
I thought the rangers/celtic story was common knowledge across the world. Every where you go when they hear the accent "ahh rangers or celtic" always one of the first questions I get asked.
Scotland was complicit in it's union with England whereas Wales and Ireland were not. This is why there is such a radical difference in sentiment with regards to independence movements in the celtic nations, and why Scottish independence is treated relatively seriously by the UK government where Welsh independence isn't, and why the Irish had to fight for theirs.
Reply 32
Original post by Lines
I thought the rangers/celtic story was common knowledge across the world. Every where you go when they hear the accent "ahh rangers or celtic" always one of the first questions I get asked.
What happens if someone says they're not really arsed?
Reply 33
Original post by LawBore
What happens if someone says they're not really arsed?

Lol nothing, but as I say it appears most people know about it.
Reply 34
Why would there be a SLA? Scotland doesn't need liberated from anything. This isn't Yugoslavia, or even Belgium for god sake

The English/Scottish/Welsh nationalists need there heads knocked together. Were all British and have been for hundreds of years, foreigners couldn't give a **** about the Home Nations. I cant believe that we, a nation which is older than Germany, Italy and the USA among others, is beginning to talk seriously about splitting up.
There used to be an organisation called the SNLA (Scottish National Liberation Army) they were very small though.
Original post by Renner
Why would there be a SLA? Scotland doesn't need liberated from anything. This isn't Yugoslavia, or even Belgium for god sake

The English/Scottish/Welsh nationalists need there heads knocked together. Were all British and have been for hundreds of years, foreigners couldn't give a **** about the Home Nations. I cant believe that we, a nation which is older than Germany, Italy and the USA among others, is beginning to talk seriously about splitting up.

Your English. How are you supposed to know what is right for the people of Scotland, Wales and Ireland? Please don't talk about things you don't understand.
Reply 37
Original post by feelingsupersonic
Your English. How are you supposed to know what is right for the people of Scotland, Wales and Ireland? Please don't talk about things you don't understand.

I'm from Berkshire, how am I supposed to know what's right for the people of London, Yorkshire, Devon, etc. any more than I do the people of Scotland? You can't really speak for anyone but yourself.
Reply 38
Original post by feelingsupersonic

Racist.
I do believe that Cailegh ne Geioch (I have spelt that awfully) is based in Scotland...

Latest

Trending

Trending