The Student Room Group

1+1 =/= 2 (or 2+2=/=4, can't remember which, maybe both).

Legend has it (or, I remember reading that) it's not the case that 1+1=2 (or 2+2=4). And that there's a massive book of equations to show this. IF anyone has nay idea that I'm talking about, please could they tell me what the 'theory' (or 'proof') is called? I dont need to understand it, but I do need it for my (final! :woo:) university essay.

Thanks for any and all help:smile:.

Edit: I'm getting a lot of unhelpful replies, I just want the name of the thoery if that's possible, rather than being told "that's wrong" "the definition of these numbers is", and if at all possible an academic source for it. Thanks for any help :smile: .

Edit: After a range of replies after my first edit (and as I made my first edit, someone has manage to get what I'm talking about. I didn't know maths worked in a certain manner, so I was unable to accuratly say what I was talking about, and thought I'd have to make an argument a lot more indirectly that it looks like I will have to.

This post has exactly what I needed, but I really appreciate all replies that were intended to be useful:smile:
Thanks TSR:smile:.

Useful post in summing up what I wanted to know:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=31494007&postcount=36

Sorry for all the confusion.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
||+|| = ||||
or
2+2 = 4

simple.
Reply 2
Original post by Josh_Dey
||+|| = ||||
or
2+2 = 4

simple.

Yes, intutively I would agree that's the case. There is a theory, or mathmatical proof, I'm unsure which, that states despite our intutions, this is not the case. I'm trying to find out the name of that theory.
Make your mind up!!

The proofs always have flaws such as dividing by 0 which is obviously undefined.
Reply 4
1+1=2 and 2+2=4. In fact, the definition of 2 is 1+1 and the definition of 4 is 1+1+1+1.

Is this book you are talking about "principia mathematica" by any chance?
Reply 5
:facepalm:

There's a very long proof explaining why 1 + 1 = 2, but obviously 1 +1 = 2 and 2 + 2 = 4 are true. There's no way to disprove it using our axioms because... it's already proven to be true.
I'm sure that these so called proofs were proven to exploit some sort series convergence or something or other. Essentially most of them exploit some sort of advanced mathematics that the majority of A level students won't understand just yet.

Additionally, it's just not true. 1+1=2 is an axiom. It's... not wrong. =/
Reply 7
Legend? Maths? Same sentence?

Interestingly, 0.999... does in fact equal 1.
Reply 9
You're looking for Spence's Theory:

Summarised in one sentence:

"Trolls can't add."
Reply 10
it's called the theory of bull**** :biggrin:
Reply 11
As far as I'm aware, there is no such theory. There was the attempt to provide all of maths with a solid base(as swayum described), which was foiled a touch by Godel, if that's what you mean?
Reply 12
Original post by Swayum

There's a very long proof explaining why 1 + 1 = 2, but obviously 1 +1 = 2 and 2 + 2 = 4 are true. There's no way to disprove it using our axioms because... it's already proven to be true.

Perhaps we shall overcome these axioms, for the sake of progress!

yes I'm being overly ambitious...

Here's an interesting link proving 1+1=1
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Freerider101
Make your mind up!!

The proofs always have flaws such as dividing by 0 which is obviously undefined.

like on a calculator any number to power of 0=1
Reply 14
Original post by Swayum

Ah, do you know what the long proof is called or where I can find it?
is this what you was on about?

edit, upon extra reading, i think it is
Reply 16
The closest you will come is by fixing a=b, algebraing a bit and eventuallly dividing by a-b, which is clearly 0 but you're not supposed to notice that because of the jigger pokery in the middle.
Reply 17
Pretty sure you can do this just by manipulating the distributive property.

or, something I drew up:

http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/5396325/1024/Picture-Box/2%3D1.png

Original post by 01010000 01001010

0.9999=x
9.999=10x
9=9x
x=1

:smile:
Original post by Swayum

This is right
Original post by wanderlust.xx
I'm sure that these so called proofs were proven to exploit some sort series convergence or something or other. Essentially most of them exploit some sort of advanced mathematics that the majority of A level students won't understand just yet.

Additionally, it's just not true. 1+1=2 is an axiom. It's... not wrong. =/

It isn't an axiom. See above. Bertrand Russell etc

Original post by 01010000 01001010

Best avatar on TSR

Quick Reply

Latest