The Student Room Group

Who has self taught themselves A-Level?

post removed

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ah, I self-taught myself Chemistry because my Chemistry teachers were crap.

Does that count?

For A-Level maths just use this site
http://www.examsolutions.co.uk/A-Level-maths-tutorials/index.php
Reply 2
Please don't spam the forum, although, at least you've done it in chat...

I taught myself business studies A level. You will need to find some where that you can sit the exams and you'll also need to find out if you can do the coursework, and have someone to mark it. It is not as simple as saying 'I want to teach myself an A level'.
Reply 3
I didn't take business but Biology I half-taught myself as the teachers weren't great. You seem to be doing well in Biology anyway so that shouldn't be a problem for you. I had a decent teacher for Chem so I don't know about that but I think it might be slightly trickier to self-teach as it is a pretty difficult subject.
Odd how they haven't at least offered to at least let you restart the year given that you had mitigating circumstances!

I think there's companies that help people who are distance learning A-levels find centres/sort out the coursework etc, I'd have a quick look on google.
Reply 5
livemaths.co.uk ... in my opinion the best teacher
Reply 6
I practically self taught myself physics and got a B - it can be done if you put the effort in and have the will + motivation to do it.

Also, get a good textbook and look online for some good videos and stuff for explainations of topics :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
I self taught my self both chemistry and biology AS and A2 in one year since i failed year 12... doing that i was put into without knowing to the wrong BTEC engineering course, we were doin 6 units instead of 12 so after the first year we had only done 3... i had to also while self teaching my A levels do the rest of those 9 units myself. At the end i ended up with 10 A level exams in june..and had to finish 4 units in 1 month. My routine was to to work 10 hours a day on average from september... from march to july i did 6am-9pm with afew breaks in between... that got rid of my social life
I did really bad in my grades, i passed, however..missed my firm and insurance by miles and am now in clearing. Life is fun lol.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Lol good luck with that.

Google is your best friend when it comes to self-teach, and a lot of coffee :P

If caffeine isn't hardcore enough for you, you could try modafinil/ritalin/st john's wort.
None of those subjects but I self-taught myself French for 2 years as my teacher hated me and didn't hide the fact.
Reply 10
choose a different college
Reply 11
I honestly think self teaching yourself things like chemistry would be almost impossible
I have .Maths A-level =]
I taught myself a2 biology because my teachers were really ****.
I self taught and got 4 As (my school was too awful to even consider staying on for sixth form), so it's not impossible. I had OCR for Chem/Bio/Phys - the textbooks were useless so I had to learn online (past papers were a godsend). Edexcel for Maths - now the textbook for this was excellent, imo, and I completed it in one year with only about 4 weeks of study in all.

I found that while, in theory, I spent much more time 'learning' while I was at school, I had no energy for studying in my spare time then, or doing any homework. Whereas with my A levels I was learning at the speed I needed to, the things I needed to, and the way I needed to. It's so much more efficient.
Grade A ... Not bad at all I could have done much better perhaps A* however I didn't want to jeopardize my other resits.. some 16 ?
Original post by Whatsinaname
I self taught and got 4 As (my school was too awful to even consider staying on for sixth form), so it's not impossible. I had OCR for Chem/Bio/Phys - the textbooks were useless so I had to learn online (past papers were a godsend). Edexcel for Maths - now the textbook for this was excellent, imo, and I completed it in one year with only about 4 weeks of study in all.

I found that while, in theory, I spent much more time 'learning' while I was at school, I had no energy for studying in my spare time then, or doing any homework. Whereas with my A levels I was learning at the speed I needed to, the things I needed to, and the way I needed to. It's so much more efficient.

This! During my first year I ended up with U's.. so I had to teach myself from scratch :frown:
btw. Where you been?!
Reply 17
Well im taking chemistry and its salters too. Try and get into another college dude thats gona be easier than doing it on your own!
Self taught AS Further Maths as my school didn't offer it! Got a strong A and found it to be massively efficient and straightforward, as everything you need to know is in a textbook.
That said, I think Maths or Further Maths would be the easiest topics to self-teach as it's really clear what you need to be able to do and really easy to practice and self-assess.
I 'effectively' self-taught A2 Psychology as my teacher was intensely bad, so I did my own stuff in lessons etc and still found it pretty tough, got a B (1 mark off an A D: ), because with something like that it's harder to interpret the specification and exam mark-schemes.
Reply 19
Well , my school is the only one in the country to give gce and there were only a few students so we could only take what the school offers but i wanted to take chemistry a-level and the school only offered AS so i took As and completed the rest on my own

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending