The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2180
Original post by ukdragon37
I don't know why people haven't suggested a SSH tunnel to PWF yet. That's probably the easiest thing to do to get what you want.

1. Download PuTTY here
2. When you run it, put in "linux.pwf.cam.ac.uk" as host.
3. Go to Connection >> SSH >> Tunnels on the left. Put in a number (51080 will work) as port and choose Dynamic. Press add.
4. Press open to connect.
5. Login using your pwf username and password.
6. Set your favourite browser to use proxy protocol SOCKS5 and host "localhost", with port 51080. Everything you browse in that browser will go through the PWF network.

OK, I'm having trouble with step 6; I can't make it work for either FF or Chrome... :colondollar:
Original post by kpatb
Aww that's so cute :biggrin:
:^_^:

My parents freak out when I jokingly refer to my boyfriend as "my other half" so if my mum saw "Married" on facebook, she would probably pass out.
and oh dear about your cousin - talk about bad timing!

But that's so cute about yourself and your boyfriend :biggrin:

My boyfriend and myself will be trying long distance.
He'll be at Durham in October... ASD[AHSFLQGHFLJB. Oh my, I dont know if I should... GAH.

Look at it this way... assuming you don't want to be alone all through uni, if you get a boyfriend in Cambridge, you'll be apart half the time during the holidays anyway. I have this, and it majorly sucks, but we try and make it work and I think it's going pretty damn well :smile:

So if you want a relationship in the next three years, it will be an LDR sometimes. If you like the boy you're with now, I'd say see how it goes. Don't discount it just because of distance. Durham isn't too far! (I'm doing Scotland-Devon!)
Original post by Melz0r
OK, I'm having trouble with step 6; I can't make it work for either FF or Chrome... :colondollar:

For FF 2.x see here: http://uniqueinternetservices.com/configure-proxy-for-firefox.html
Start from step 3. Choose Manual proxy configuration, write "localhost" for SOCKS proxy and 51080 (same port as you put in PuTTY) for the port. Choose SOCKS v5. If you are using FF 3 and above, it's in Advanced >> Network >> Configure how firefox connect to the internet in options.

For chrome you need to right click the shortcut to it on your desktop or start menu, press properties and in target append ( --proxy-server="socks5://localhost:51080") to the end, wthout brackets but with space before -- and with quotes. You might want to make another copy of the shortcut which has this so you can always use the original when you don't want to connect through PWF.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2183
For FF 2.x see here: http://uniqueinternetservices.com/configure-proxy-for-firefox.html
Start from step 3. Choose Manual proxy configuration, write "localhost" for SOCKS proxy and 51080 (same port as you put in PuTTY) for the port. Choose SOCKS v5. If you are using FF 3 and above, it's in Advanced >> Network >> Configure how firefox connect to the internet in options.

For chrome you need to right click the shortcut to it on your desktop or start menu, press properties and in target append ( --proxy-server="socks5://localhost:51080") to the end, wthout brackets but with space before -- and with quotes. You might want to make another copy of the shortcut which has this so you can always use the original when you don't want to connect through PWF.

Well, it seems to work in that I only have to go through one layer of Raven to get to CamSIS (a usual indicator) although Speedtest.net says my ISP is 'The JNT Association' which was throwing me somewhat!
Original post by Melz0r
Well, it seems to work in that I only have to go through one layer of Raven to get to CamSIS (a usual indicator) although Speedtest.net says my ISP is 'The JNT Association' which was throwing me somewhat!

Yes that should be correct. JNT Association is JANET, the inter-university network Cambridge is on. You can also try www.whatismyip.com with and then without connecting through PWF. It works if the website reports you having different IP addresses.
Reply 2185
Yes that should be correct. JNT Association is JANET, the inter-university network Cambridge is on. You can also try www.whatismyip.com with and then without connecting through PWF. It works if the website reports you having different IP addresses.

It's definitely worked, I've just tried a couple of reference/journal sites. Thank you, you are a god amongst men. Also Putty brings back very weird memories because we used to use it at work - inputting telephone orders for mail order plants.
Original post by Melz0r
It's definitely worked, I've just tried a couple of reference/journal sites. Thank you, you are a god amongst men. Also Putty brings back very weird memories because we used to use it at work - inputting telephone orders for mail order plants.

You're welcome :biggrin: This method is used by quite a few students actually to get around their college bandwidth limits and watch videos, as the PWF has no set limit. The rumour is that the computing service doesn't care as long as you aren't downloading gigabytes of unsavoury material.
Reply 2187
You're welcome :biggrin: This method is used by quite a few students actually to get around their college bandwidth limits and watch videos, as the PWF has no set limit. The rumour is that the computing service doesn't care as long as you aren't downloading gigabytes of unsavoury material.

If anyone calls me up on it, I didn't hear it from you :ninja:
Original post by Melz0r
If anyone calls me up on it, I didn't hear it from you :ninja:

You might want to check iPlayer as well to see whether it works. If it does then it will work when you are abroad as well (provided you have a sufficiently fast connection).
Reply 2189
Re: LDRs, I'm doing London-Helsinki right now, and it's going pretty well tbh... Like others have said, it's not ideal but totally doable. I was dating while in Cambridge and I found it just as stressful trying to juggle everything :redface:
Original post by Leipzig
Re: LDRs, I'm doing London-Helsinki right now, and it's going pretty well tbh... Like others have said, it's not ideal but totally doable. I was dating while in Cambridge and I found it just as stressful trying to juggle everything :redface:

I'd love to go to Helsinki...
Reply 2191
Original post by Craghyrax
I'd love to go to Helsinki...

I was going to mention one of the perks of being in an international LDR is cheap holidays... I'm off in 2 weeks! :biggrin:
How does the LDR have any bearing on the price of holidays? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Original post by Craghyrax
How does the LDR have any bearing on the price of holidays? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Free accommodation, presumably. (Although I had the same moment of confusion!)
Reply 2194
^yup.
Only have to budget for transport and going out, as accommodation is free and food costs are massively reduced (by being able to cook at home).
Original post by TheUnbeliever
Free accommodation, presumably. (Although I had the same moment of confusion!)

Oh yeh. In fairness I almost never consider travelling to a place unless I have friends there to visit or we're going for camping/outdoorsy things, so it wouldn't really make my holidays cheaper.
Reply 2196
I'm all about the city mini-break :redface: Gets pricey though, if you don't want to stay in a dive...
Don't like cities much.

It doesn't work at Pembroke, where internal bandwidth also counts.
Original post by alex_hk90
It doesn't work at Pembroke, where internal bandwidth also counts.

:nooo:

Latest

Trending

Trending