The Student Room Group

Aberdeen Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by noregrets
Applying as a grad! Anyone else doing the same? I have never been to Aberdeen and couldn't make the open day. Anyone care to share what it is like? What you liked about it etc? Best of luck folks!

Yeah grad here also. I missed the open day but my sis is in 2nd year and loving it. The city is pretty nice from what I've seen too. Good shopping etc... Not sure about the night life and I'd imagine it's cold alot but where in Scotland isn't? :biggrin:. From what she says the course is good too, well structured and I think you get alot of support if you need it which is good to know.
Original post by noregrets
Applying as a grad! Anyone else doing the same? I have never been to Aberdeen and couldn't make the open day. Anyone care to share what it is like? What you liked about it etc? Best of luck folks!

I refuse to post my experience again :tongue: Read back in this thread to find current students' pros and cons.
Original post by Vox0
Yeah grad here also. I missed the open day but my sis is in 2nd year and loving it. The city is pretty nice from what I've seen too. Good shopping etc... Not sure about the night life and I'd imagine it's cold alot but where in Scotland isn't? :biggrin:. From what she says the course is good too, well structured and I think you get alot of support if you need it which is good to know.

It is no colder than any other east coast town. I mean Newcastle and Hull aren't exactly tropical...The night life is pretty good, lots of student nights. The only downside is that all the uni halls are at least 20mins away from town.

The course is good and the staff are very helpful :smile:
Reply 163
Can I get some help to make up my mind, and be perfectly honest please!

A-levels
Chemistry- Predicted A
Biology- Predicted A
ICT- Predicted A*/A
Maths- Predicted A*

GCSEs - 4 A*s, 6 A's and a B

UKcat score of 625

Work Experience in hospital/GP/nursing home. Also got good extra curricular...DoE, etc.

Would I have a good chance of getting in? Applying on Monday so need to make up my mind!
Original post by refill
Can I get some help to make up my mind, and be perfectly honest please!

A-levels
Chemistry- Predicted A
Biology- Predicted A
ICT- Predicted A*/A
Maths- Predicted A*

GCSEs - 4 A*s, 6 A's and a B

UKcat score of 625

Work Experience in hospital/GP/nursing home. Also got good extra curricular...DoE, etc.

Would I have a good chance of getting in? Applying on Monday so need to make up my mind!

Your grades are fine. Pick Aberdeen because you want to go there, not because you think you might get in on the basis of a few internet strangers' opinions. Anyway, given the weight on the PS, it's impossible to tell from your grades whether or not you'll be interviewed - your work exp means nothing if you haven't written about it well.
Reply 165
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Your grades are fine. Pick Aberdeen because you want to go there, not because you think you might get in on the basis of a few internet strangers' opinions. Anyway, given the weight on the PS, it's impossible to tell from your grades whether or not you'll be interviewed - your work exp means nothing if you haven't written about it well.

Yeah, I think my p/s is good, I have written alot about my time in the different wards of hospital, and got in alot of volunteering stuff too- all linked back to why it helps a career in medicine.
Reply 166
Hi everyone,

I'm a gap year student with 10 A*s and 1 A at GCSE; 2 A*s and 2 As at A-level and 630 UKCAT. I have a reasonably good P.S.

Do I have a chance in Aberdeen? I think my UKCAT's a bit low.
Original post by Mitosis
Hi everyone,

I'm a gap year student with 10 A*s and 1 A at GCSE; 2 A*s and 2 As at A-level and 630 UKCAT. I have a reasonably good P.S.

Do I have a chance in Aberdeen? I think my UKCAT's a bit low.

Your grades are fine, your UKCAT is fine (and it's only worth 8% of your score at Deen anyway). Pick Aberdeen because you want to go there, not because you think it's going to let you in. Five years is a very long time to be somewhere you picked on a whim.
Well thats my application submitted. Let the wait begin!
Reply 169
Original post by ChangedMyMind
Well thats my application submitted. Let the wait begin!

It's a long wait, I got my rejection at the end of March.
Here goes round 2! :smile:
Reply 170
Does anyone know how they usually score ukcat results would it be something like 800>= 8% 700>=7% etc etc?
Don't know for sure but it'll probably be

800+ - 8
750+ - 7
700+ - 6
650+ - 5
600+ - 4
550+ - 3
500+ - 2
450+ - 1
<450 - 0
Original post by Sergio Kun Aguero

800+ - 8
750+ - 7
700+ - 6
650+ - 5
600+ - 4
550+ - 3
500+ - 2
450+ - 1
<450 - 0

Possibly... Or it might depend on how everyone else performs and then you would be placed into quartiles/quintiles depending on your score? The fact that the range has increased to 8% makes me think 4% did not sufficiently differentiate and give credit to those with high scores. Equally, I don't think the old system took away credit for those who performed badly in the UKCAT. So it was a lose-lose situation for those in the middle! :colondollar: (Like myself!)
Reply 173
Original post by Sergio Kun Aguero

800+ - 8
750+ - 7
700+ - 6
650+ - 5
600+ - 4
550+ - 3
500+ - 2
450+ - 1
<450 - 0

I hope it's not something like that, it would be unfair to people who get say 692.5 for example (not that that's my score or anything :tongue:) I'm pretty sure they put all applicants scores into quartiles etc. and give points accordingly, so that everyones score is relative to the strength of other applicants scores. But I'm not even applying to Aberdeen though :tongue:

I will warn you though, I applied last year, and they send a horrible amount of spam to your email :tongue:
Reply 174
Its a funny process anyway, nearly everyone will be predicted at least 3A's and they say that they've taken people with ukcats in the 400's. If my reconing is correct, its pretty much all about the PS . They must be really harsh in the way they mark them.
Reply 175
Original post by maemg
Its a funny process anyway, nearly everyone will be predicted at least 3A's and they say that they've taken people with ukcats in the 400's. If my reconing is correct, its pretty much all about the PS . They must be really harsh in the way they mark them.

You're right :smile: the feedback they gave me last year was along the lines.. you scored highly with academics, your ukcat was fine; 595 avg last year :frown: they rank everyone into octiles and then allocate a score. However they said they have to make clear distinctions between the strength of personal statements and they felt others were more competitive than mine. So I've really improved it this year, reading last years it sounds s**t in comparison. It seems they're critical of them as a lot of people will meet the academic and ukcat requirements.
Original post by KCosmo
I will warn you though, I applied last year, and they send a horrible amount of spam to your email :tongue:

The spam doesn't end when you get in... :hmpf: I still get emails addressed to me as if I were an applicant.
Reply 177
applied.
Original post by KR1993
It's a long wait, I got my rejection at the end of March.
Here goes round 2! :smile:

Stay positive!
Reply 179
http://www.abdn.ac.uk/medicine/prospective/admissions/previous/ I thought you guys might find this interesting. Its amazing how large the % of rejects were because of stupid things like not having a uckat or being late submitting a ucas form they all add up though. Whats also weird is the % of applicants rejected because of their academics i.e not meeting minimum entry requirements or having the right predicted grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending