The Student Room Group

The Barbelles Society: Ladies Who Lift

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Becca
Judging from what you've written, it's just DOMS. I'd echo what aivi said, make sure you spend some time stretching and massaging and doing recovery exercises between workouts. I'd say go as your schedule says, but spend a loooooong time warming up. You'll probably feel fine once you start your exercises.
R.e. your shoulders hurting - mine did too when I first started squatting. It took a while for me to find a nice comfy place on my back, and to build up the shoulder flexibilty to hold the bar properly (I literally had none, now I think my shoulders are *too* flexible!). Even now when I do longer, heavy sets my traps and shoulders still get a bit sore! It's totally normal.
I sympathise with ab pain, I trained abs for the first time in ages on Sat and now mine really hurt, as do my hamstrings and lower front quads. I'm just gonna get the golf ball and really work my leg muscles before bed tonight!

I figured it was normal, but wasn't sure what the protocol was- do I keep going and just hope for the best, or let it rest. Especially considering I'm so new to it all.

I might even be able to bench the bar on my own next time XD. So new and useless.

It was bizarrely nice though- because everything hurt I could really tell what was tensing and stuff as I walked and picked things up.
Right guys, since you are full of great advice I was wondering if you have any tips :smile:

As my main sport is Rugby and lifting is done to help that sport I try to keep my program so that it helps me with my rugby. I am the kicker in my rugby team and generally have decent accuracy (id say this is to do with my footballing past) but struggle to get the distance occasionally.

Any tips on exercises that could help with this? I practice kicking 1-2x a week so im hoping that would improve it, would you say improving flexibility may help? (its improved massively since I started lifting but still isnt great)
Original post by skunky x
I figured it was normal, but wasn't sure what the protocol was- do I keep going and just hope for the best, or let it rest. Especially considering I'm so new to it all.

I might even be able to bench the bar on my own next time XD. So new and useless.

It was bizarrely nice though- because everything hurt I could really tell what was tensing and stuff as I walked and picked things up.

One day you will miss DOMS! Youre probably thinking im a weirdo for saying that but its a beautiful feeling :biggrin:
Daily Fail strikes again: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2052687/Extreme-Cleavage-Plunging-necklines-latest-style-trend-celebrities-sinking-low.html

Apparently Gwyneth Paltrow's chest is "too muscular". Do they even know what muscular is?!?!
Original post by Becca
Daily Fail strikes again: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2052687/Extreme-Cleavage-Plunging-necklines-latest-style-trend-celebrities-sinking-low.html

Apparently Gwyneth Paltrow's chest is "too muscular". Do they even know what muscular is?!?!

... I'd kill for a chest like that.

Goddamn Daily Mail being crap.
Dayum is Jennifer Aniston looking hot these days!
Original post by Michael XYZ
Dayum is Jennifer Aniston looking hot these days!

But she is showing cleavage and thighs! OMG! FASHION CRIME.
Bless the Daily Fail - ribs and sternum on show "Oh noooes, I has muzcle"
Hi girls,

Sorry to invade your thread. Just a quick message to remind you about nominations for a new Fitness moderator - please get in touch with us if you are thinking about it either for yourself or someone else. The announcement has been taken down now but the text of it is below, and we can be a bit flexible with the deadline if any good nominations come in over the next few days.

Spoiler

I'd be a don of a moderator.

Why? Because I got the most posts by far... touch me.

Original post by Becca
But she is showing cleavage and thighs! OMG! FASHION CRIME.

The crime is that she is 42 years old and still hot as hell.
"Dear Athlete,

We recently sent you an invitation to attend a Power2Podium Phase 1 Olympic Talent Assessment event in our search for Britain’s next crop of Olympic Champions but have not yet heard back from you. We are keen for you to attend this event and look forward to working with you to investigate your Olympic potential. "

Hahahaha, filled out that form for a laugh to see what would happen and I actually got an invite. The assessment is on Saturday in Stirling, shame I can't go!
Reply 2971
Agree with Michael. Jennifer Aniston is looking amazing. 42 you say? Great think of the experience she must have :colone:
Anyone in here going for Fitness Mod?? :smile: I think there are a few eligible users :yep:
I reckon theres a few suitable candidates in here too :smile:
Original post by MissLightyear
I reckon theres a few suitable candidates in here too :smile:

aivi
Aivi??

Becca
Becca??

Some guys too!

Original post by DontJudge
lets get physical physical.

:lolwut: So, uh, you working out?? :dontknow:
I don't work out, i naturally have an hour glass figure...(so people say)

wbu?

Oh, I thought your comment was implying that you were about to do something physical...

Erm, congrats on that.

I, er, should be doing a lot more than I do... truth.
Lol, i was singing the song.

I gathered :tongue:

Did you think i was lifting, whilst typing lol.

Well, no, not so much!

i think its good to be 'fit', but not work out to get six packs...

Good thing there's a difference then :smile:
Doe'tbarbelle mean like big women, that proper work out

like this link...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2047564/Jodie-Marsh-bodybuilder-Every-single-person-jealous-new-body.html

which is :puke: -able

No, it doesn't.

Bodybuilding is just one of many branches that incorporate lifting.

See the OP in this thread for more examples.
Original post by shorty.loves.angels
:

I was thinking both of those, and powerlifter but he may be a bit too blunt :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest