The Student Room Group

Why Europe should thank the US

It is often said that the Soviets won WWII for the allies, and that American's are stupid for believing they played a pivotal role on the European front.

This may be a fair criticism, from a military point of view. In a political sense, though, the US did play the role of savior to Western Europe.

It was the US that ensured Western Europe would develop into prosperous, liberal, democracies by preventing Soviet influence from spreading West.

You can all whinge on about the US being evil imperialists, but the fact of the matter is that they ensured the survival of your way of life. As much as you may hate it.

Edit:
Whoops, I forgot that all the left-wing, "internationalist", self-hating, youth on here hate their own country and hate the fact that it doesn't resemble Venezuela. My bad.

Hah. The negs really blew up on this one.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

First off it is won, not one.

Secondly in WW2 America jumped in at the last minute, debateable how much influence they had, most likely would have gone the same way.

And what exactly is wrong with that?

You see communist as evil. Why? Because you have been brought up in a capitalist society.

What if you weren't? What if you were born intoa communist country, you would be adapted to the life.

Look at the world today, it's crumbling economically.

I think communism does not work, but you are making ridiculous assumptions.

As well as this, as much of a massive JFK fan I am, they sure ensured my survival of my way of life but there have been a damn good few times when they've managed to endanger it, especially in that era.

To be honest I'm just throwing stuff out there, but you seem a bit vague and one of those uneducated people who throw their hat into the ring so I'm gonna leave it here.

Edit: Not sure why people are so greatly negging me? Do you believe everything that you're told to? If so I feel damn sorry for you.
(edited 12 years ago)
You guys still haven't thanked the French for saving your ass during the war of independence.
Reply 3
Original post by Some random guy
You guys still haven't thanked the French for saving your ass during the war of independence.

teehee pos rep sir :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by Komnenos
It is often said that the Soviets one WWII for the allies, and that American's are stupid for believing they played a pivotal role on the European front.

This may be a fair criticism, from a military point of view. In a political sense, though, the US did play the role of savior to Western Europe.

It was the US that ensured Western Europe would develop into prosperous, liberal, democracies by preventing Soviet influence from spreading West.

You can all whinge on about the US being evil imperialists, but the fact of the matter is that they ensured the survival of your way of life. As much as you may hate it.

**** that it was Britain that cracked the enigma code subsequently winning the war
Reply 5
Your position would hold weight if you could even begin to demonstrate that Western Europe would have stood by and allowed the spread of Soviet systems. I also hope you aren't suggesting that the West wasn't a developed system of democracies until America came into it. That would be absurd.
Reply 6
Original post by kopite493
**** that it was Britain that cracked the enigma code subsequently winning the war

Depends which film people decide to watch :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by Bilco
Depends which film people decide to watch :tongue:

i refuse to watch films based on the great wars for that reason i base my opinion on historic fact and a slight bias
Reply 8
Original post by kopite493

Poor guy was persecuted for being gay.
Reply 9
We certainly don't get enough recognition for our role in the war. Not only did we send vast numbers of troops to liberate europe we also funded the british war effort and essentially held her empire together for her.
If your post is even true and doesn't take into consideration any sort of chaos theory... what's your point? Thank you USA. Now what? Do you feel some smug sense of superiority that you were spouted out of a vagina on that particular piece of land?

Well, well done.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Craiky1506
If your post is even true and doesn't take into consideration any sort of chaos theory...

wut? Let's try and talk sensibly, shall we?

what's your point? Thank you USA. Now what? Do you feel some smug sense of superiority that you were spouted out of a vagina on that particular piece of land?

Well, well done.

It's more that people shouldn't be so critical of the US.
Reply 12
That's absurd. American values and political systems were imported from Europe - we'd been a constitutional monarchy since 1688; France had been a stable republic since 1870. The majority of America's constitution was imported from Enlightenment scholars such as John Locke and Jean-Jacques Rousseau. I think European values of democracy and liberty, at that point well developed, needed no assistance from the United States to maintain.

As for your role in the Second World War, I'll gouge my eyes out if I have to withstand another argument about that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by DYKWIA

Chaos theory is very sensible.

Again, even if your point is valid - there are many more reasons people should be critical of the USA.
Reply 14
Original post by DYKWIA

Why does what the US did or did not do back when my nan was still at school have any relevance to what it does today? In any case, in funding the European economies after the war, the US was only seeking its own advantage, as all states do in the international arena. It sought to retain its trading partnership and ensure a hedge against the imminent spread of Communism in Eurasia. Also how long should this European indebtedness last? Until capitalism dies?
And Americans wonder why the rest of the world dont like them...
Reply 16
Original post by DYKWIA

Another deluded yank with the education and bias of a monkey
Reply 17
Original post by Agenda Suicide
First off it is won, not one.

Secondly in WW2 America jumped in at the last minute, debateable how much influence they had, most likely would have gone the same way.

And what exactly is wrong with that?

You see communist as evil. Why? Because you have been brought up in a capitalist society.

What if you weren't? What if you were born intoa communist country, you would be adapted to the life.

Look at the world today, it's crumbling economically.

I think communism does not work, but you are making ridiculous assumptions.

As well as this, as much of a massive JFK fan I am, they sure ensured my survival of my way of life but there have been a damn good few times when they've managed to endanger it, especially in that era.

To be honest I'm just throwing stuff out there, but you seem a bit vague and one of those uneducated people who throw their hat into the ring so I'm gonna leave it here.

I think communism is a flawed political system for the same reason people in formerly communism countries did.

You are just a privileged little **** who doesn't understand real hardship and, as such, feels comfortable drawing some kind of moral equivalency between the troubles faced in the modern day Western world and Soviet-era Europe and Asia.

Original post by Some random guy

I am quite grateful to the French for that. It doesn't contradict my point, though, and we did liberate France.

Original post by Craiky1506
If your post is even true and doesn't take into consideration any sort of chaos theory... what's your point? Thank you USA. Now what? Do you feel some smug sense of superiority that you were spouted out of a vagina on that particular piece of land?

Well, well done.

Yes, yes I do. Thank you.

Original post by Tudball
That's absurd. American values and political systems were imported from Britain - we'd been a constitutional monarchy since 1688. I think European values of democracy and liberty, at that point well developed, needed no assistance from the United States to maintain.

As for your role in the Second World War, I'll gouge my eyes out if I have to withstand another argument about that.

Well in America there actually isn't a king.

On topic, though, do you notice how all the communist countries in post WW2 Europe happened to be occupied by the Soviets? What do you think might have happened if the Soviets had "liberated" France, or Italy, or West Germany, or the Netherlands? Try and be logical here.
Reply 18
brits were losing wwII---getting the **** bombed out of you-- you outta be thankful :colonhash:
Reply 19
Original post by Komnenos

Well in America there actually isn't a king.

On topic, though, do you notice how all the communist countries in post WW2 Europe happened to be occupied by the Soviets? What do you think might have happened if the Soviets had "liberated" France, or Italy, or West Germany, or the Netherlands? Try and be logical here.

I corrected my original post. I advise you take a peek.

If they had tried that, there would have been war - with or without America's assistance. The Soviets occupied what the Allied countries had conceded before the end of the war. If Soviet military incursions continued past the agreed-upon point, it would be tantamount to a declaration of war.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending